DOM or HREW for rollcage...

DOM tubing or HREW tubing?

• Total voters
HREW saved my a$$ about 7 years ago when my Stang rolled about 5 times. DOM for whatever reason is not NHRA legal for a cage, but HREW or chromemoly is just my .02.

HREW saved my a$$ about 7 years ago when my Stang rolled about 5 times. DOM for whatever reason is not NHRA legal for a cage, but HREW or chromemoly is just my .02.

You sure you dont have that backwards? HREW isnt legal but DOM and Chromoly is?

Every racing sanction I know of requires either DOM or Chromo

I asked about it when I was thinking of building a Stang convertible into a drag car and the guy who was doing the certification on my Stang notchback said no to DOM. That was about 7 years ago they may have changed the rule book since then.

DOM isn't the gold plated mega bada$$ hold up to anything people make it out to be. A well designed cage made of dom, herw or pipe for that matter will protect you just fine, but they will all bend/dent.

Are you gonna be satisfied to walk away from a bad roll unhurt, with a bent up cage? Or do you want to walk away unhurt with a straight cage?

i built mine with pvc, alot of 90's and black spray paint....while it's kinda pricey, i think it'll be well worth it in the long run. besides, it doesn't dent.

good reading.. http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=39347.0;imode

I'm using ERW, I think a better cage design will win out over better materials when it matters most. I think its chromo thats not usually allowed as it needs (should) be tigged and then post heated to normalize it. Thus hard to see just by looking at it. ERW/DOM than can be easily welded by normal methods.

and FWIW, i've seen many many street stock/budget cars built with poop pipe, smack the concrete at speed, smash each other, barrel roll etc.. All to come back to race another day. All goes back to proper/adequate design.

I would be sure that DOM is legal. I have built several NHRA and IHRA legal drag cars and DOM was what we used on all the non pro stuff. The Pro class stuff was moly.
On that note, also, Moly cages/chassis are not legal in NASCAR! I believe it is because DOM deforms better than Moly in crashes.
HREW is probably acceptable for Buggys and such. These are slower rollovers. But I wouldnt slam a wall at 180 in anything less than DOM!
And btw...anyone who has survived, unscathed, in a stock car wreck with a "poop pipe" cage better be thanking the good Lord! Usually any crash that doesnt destroy a black pipe cage would have survived the crash without any cage at all! But then, the worst worry would be getting hit in the head with a piece of broken iron pipe!
LOL!

I'm thinking popcicle sticks would hold up better...:burnout:

Back