duramax or cummins

if youre in the market for towing, go with a cummins, especially with the new 68re trannys as theyre gettin better reviews than the allison. if you're looking to go a little cheaper go with the 48re just dont put more than a tow tune on it cause it'll blow it sky high. im on my 3rd one... but im also a fan of a duramax but honestly, theyre overpriced right now and a cummins will still pull better than a duramax any day. but a duramax does have efi live tuning available if you really want easy power. with a cummins you'll have to spend a little more to get a good programmer for it.

Obviously I'm a cummins homer, and I dont think the Dmax can compare to it.

Having said that, none of the newt 3/4-1ton trucks ride anywhere near as nice as the GMs, nor turn near as tight as the GMs.

Thats what IFS will do for ya....

I've owned two Cummins and one Duramax. First truck was a Cummins, second was a Duramax and I got smart for third and went back to the Cummins with a six speed. I love the low end power of the Cummins. The Duramax turns a lot more RPM's in general. In my opinion, less revolutions = a longer life span.

Allison transmission - I may be wierd but I really didn't like the braking feature downhill towing. 4000 rpm's for an extended period downhill made me very uneasy. A diesel at those revs just doesn't sound natural.

Until Toyota comes out with a diesel in a one truck I will continue to buy Cummins.

i love my duramax but the cummins is strong. the dodge truck is trash though imo. drive them both and then decide. the choice is yours

That's my problem too....if I could combine parts from the Dodge with some stuff from the GM truck, I'd make a truck just like I want, a new one anyway.

I did just that with my M1008, dropped a Cummins and NV4500 in it. Cheaper than a new truck, gets great milage, and it's pretty awesome.

If I had to get another truck, I'd probably get a 2500HD...or a Dodge 2500 :shaking: I couldn't make up my mind. I do know a few people that have had problems with the turbos on the 6.7 Cummins, other than that, can't say much about them.

wait for the 6.7-liter Power Stroke In 11
All in house built... Should be a beast.

single-sequential turbocharger....

Should put out some good power...

Go with the Duramax, if for nothing else the Allison transmission! I mean come on, it a dump truck trans

I would try to analyze a comparison of operating costs between the two trucks

at the end of the day I would bet you will end up choosing which feels/handle/sounds/looks the best

Unless you want a brand new truck, buy a truck that doesn't have a DPF on it.

Watch out for the LLY Duramax. 8th digit of the VIN is 2. They have a problem with getting hot even in stock configuration. Exhaust and a cold air intake will help some but not a lot. Also check the top of the transfer case on any Duramax. They have an issue where a hole can get rubbed in the top of the case.

As far as Cummins trucks goes, there are a few things to watch out for. As you already know, the automatic trannys are no good. Also the injection pumps on 24 valve trucks (98.5-02) are a problem. It's not a matter of if they go out, but when they go out. This problem can be corrected by an aftermarket lift pump. Don't be scared of a 24 valve but be prepared to buy an injection pump and an aftermarket lift pump to go with it if it hasn't already been done.

And I'm sure you know this, but the Allison in a GM is NOT a dumptruck transmission.

The Allison trans behind the Duramax is the 1000 series. Good thing about that is that the 2000 series internals will work in it. The 2000 series trans is much stouter. We have put 100's if not 1000's behind Cummins, Cat and MBE diesel engines at work. Up to 400hp and 1200 lb/ft torque. They are stout trannies.

Dirtymax. Mines an '08. Badass!

I'm leaning twoards a duramax for the next truck......cummins is the best engine hands down but the trucks are such pieces of shit....The truck falls apart around the engine

I'm leaning twoards a duramax for the next truck......cummins is the best engine hands down but the trucks are such pieces of shit....The truck falls apart around the engine
Well said.

Google everything you want to know...It took my better half a year to decide, but homework pays off...He is very happy with his Duramax, hell I am too..I pull our jeep as well, it pulls great!! Anywhere you wanna go!! Also good fuel cost and very quiet..We love it..Good Luck!!!

I grew up a die hard ford man and have always dreamed of having a F-250 but when it came down to it i was hearing of all the problems fords were having after the 7.3,as far as chevies yes they have there allison but thats it to me and I dont like IFS.I def was never a dodge fan but I am so glad I bought mine cause i love it!The 6 spd is great the nv5600 is tough,and this 24 valve pulls like crazy!Dieselwhale did you get rid of your truck?It was nice man and having such a nice cummins Im surprised your thinking of a duramax but yes no doubt the interior and such on these dodges do seem to go to crap!other than that i cant complain im getting 22-23 mpgs rolling on 37's and plenty on power to pull whatever!

I've owned two Cummins and one Duramax. First truck was a Cummins, second was a Duramax and I got smart for third and went back to the Cummins with a six speed. I love the low end power of the Cummins. The Duramax turns a lot more RPM's in general. In my opinion, less revolutions = a longer life span.
Allison transmission - I may be wierd but I really didn't like the braking feature downhill towing. 4000 rpm's for an extended period downhill made me very uneasy. A diesel at those revs just doesn't sound natural.
Until Toyota comes out with a diesel in a one truck I will continue to buy Cummins.

I like how cummins guy talk about longevity but don't keep a truck more than a few years.

I vote you g with a dodge and when the truck falls apart around he drivetrain I will take the drivetrain off your hands and put it in my 97 Burb LOL.

I have always been a GM guy but the aftermarket seems to be stronger for the dodge. It is a tossup either way.

Big question is do you want a 2WD or 4WD? If you want 4WD i would go with the solid axle dodge. If yo want a 2WD or a good ride go with the GM. As far as drivetrain I think the equal out in the end. The GM has a strong trans and the cummins can't be beat.

Crazy thougt; Buy a GM drive it for a few months until it gets totaled then buy it back. After buying it back part it out except the trans. Go buy a dodge with a bad trans and put the Alli behind the cummins LOL. Crazy thought ends now!

I vote you g with a dodge and when the truck falls apart around he drivetrain I will take the drivetrain off your hands and put it in my 97 Burb LOL.
I have always been a GM guy but the aftermarket seems to be stronger for the dodge. It is a tossup either way.
Big question is do you want a 2WD or 4WD? If you want 4WD i would go with the solid axle dodge. If yo want a 2WD or a good ride go with the GM. As far as drivetrain I think the equal out in the end. The GM has a strong trans and the cummins can't be beat.
Crazy thougt; Buy a GM drive it for a few months until it gets totaled then buy it back. After buying it back part it out except the trans. Go buy a dodge with a bad trans and put the Alli behind the cummins LOL. Crazy thought ends now!

There are parts available easy in salvage yards to make this work.

Back