ECORS MegaManche build

Well, you asked for it. Spent a lot of time in the last few weeks getting my shifters built, rear suspension buttoned up, front 60 narrowed, tranny crossmember fabbed, etc. I try not to work on it every night (I actually enjoy being around this wife), so Saturdays tend to be wrenching marathons and some evenings.
I should have my 60 assembled and linked this weekend. Then I can move on to steering and trying to figure out where my track bar will go...ugh.
Anyway, here's some pics. I'm doing an article for Shawn and Cyd after KOH on my $25 twin stick, so until then...

Oh yeah alomost forgot. Got me a decent set of tires this year...

Attachments

• moremanche 002.JPG
    moremanche 002.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 616
  • moremanche 022.JPG
    moremanche 022.JPG
    419.4 KB · Views: 639
  • moremanche 027.JPG
    moremanche 027.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 624
  • moremanche 028.JPG
    moremanche 028.JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 626
  • moremanche 035.JPG
    moremanche 035.JPG
    428.3 KB · Views: 645
  • moremanche 036.JPG
    moremanche 036.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 615
Coming up soon (first of next week hopefully) I will installing these front frame plate from Liquid Iron Industries. He also hooked me up with some quick release extinguisher mounts too.

You'll also see the Oh so fancy intro to "How to twin stick D300 for cheap."

Attachments

• moremanche 007.JPG
    moremanche 007.JPG
    417.2 KB · Views: 571
  • moremanche 006.JPG
    moremanche 006.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 593
  • moremanche 004.JPG
    moremanche 004.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 647
Can't wait to see this in Person in March... Looks great so far.

How did the sleeve work out in the front axle? looks like you had to do a little sanding on it to get it to fit. How much?

How did the sleeve work out in the front axle? looks like you had to do a little sanding on it to get it to fit. How much?

Very, very minimal extra work. I was able to drive the sleeve into the half the diff was on witha 3 lb dead blow hammer. When I installed the tube with the "C", I hit the sleeve with a 120 grit flap disc, added a little assembly lube and tapped it down on the sleeve with a 5 lb hammer. I'm no machinist, but i would say it felt like a 0.03"-0.05" fit.

Thanks again for your help with the sleeve. It was 100% perfect and what I was needing.

Thats good for me to know in the future. I actually cut it .010 - .015 more than the 2.125 hoping that would make it fit easier. next time I'll go a little more.

Man that manchee is looking nice I'm hoping to see it race. And meet you in person one of these days.

Thats good for me to know in the future. I actually cut it .010 - .015 more than the 2.125 hoping that would make it fit easier. next time I'll go a little more.
Man that manchee is looking nice I'm hoping to see it race. And meet you in person one of these days.

I think the thickness of the surface rust was the difference. I could have used a brake cylinder hone, but I dig a flapper disc.

I'm not hard to miss. Big, goofy, short haired chubby dude with a little, skinny, long haired wife (co-driver). Lol

you mean a .0003 to .0005 fit. if that tube sleeve had a .005 fit it would have taken a red wrench and a 25lb hammer to install. looking good jody.

All done now and after the first race, I gotta say I am 100%satisfied with the build. I had no mechanical issues at the race. The steering, brakes and suspension all worked awesome.
My wheelbase ended up at 110, which is what my old YJ was on a similar setup. I have a lot of gearing options to suit whatever terrain or course I have to attempt.
Got to say thanks to the vendors and members here who helped by supplying parts for my build.
Brad at www.Barnes4wd.com for every tab, bracket and heim used. Andy and Chase at www.eastcoastgearsupply.com for a bunch of my drivetrain parts. Greg Slade at 4WP Raleigh for gear stuff, synthetic winch rope and some other goodies. Gubni for the rear disc kit. Tim at www.liquidironindustries.com for frame plates and sponsorship.
Special thanks to Dave Rees (35xj) for helping me a TON the last week so I would get to race. Heartfelt thank you, buddy!

Enough of that- here's the finished product, post race and dirty (dented too).

Attachments

• MacheDone 087.JPG
    MacheDone 087.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 643
  • MacheDone 088.JPG
    MacheDone 088.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 593
  • MacheDone 095.JPG
    MacheDone 095.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 640
  • MacheDone 097.JPG
    MacheDone 097.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 689
  • MacheDone 093.JPG
    MacheDone 093.JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 653
More...

Attachments

• MacheDone 092.JPG
    MacheDone 092.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 652
  • MacheDone 094.JPG
    MacheDone 094.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 621
  • MacheDone 091.JPG
    MacheDone 091.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 614
Thanks guys. It felt REALLY, REALLY good to unload it, 100% un-tested, and for it to perform as well as it did. I could not be happier with it.

Gonna tackle a few cosmetic (rush job) issues before the next race, shine the tires, and let her rest a bit.

I don't have pics but it's simple. I built a transmission crossmember similar to the factory style, but out of 2x4x1/4". I welded a Barnes4wd 2" wide tower to it and braced the mount to the skid behind the crossmember with 1.5" tube.
That's my frame end mount. My axle end is a typical tower style from Barnes.
My links, tie rod and drag link are all 1.75" x .250" DOM with 7/8" heims BTW.

I saw on Pirate where you were asking about the Poly 3 link bracket. It will not fit an MJ "frame rail". The MJ rails are much, much different than an XJ. One word of advice, allow plenty of room for exhaust with the 3 link mount on the crossmember. This is true of a pass drop front diff with the upper on the driver side.
Ask me how I know.

I saw on Pirate where you were asking about the Poly 3 link bracket. It will not fit an MJ "frame rail". The MJ rails are much, much different than an XJ. One word of advice, allow plenty of room for exhaust with the 3 link mount on the crossmember. This is true of a pass drop front diff with the upper on the driver side.
Ask me how I know.

Cool thanks I never did get a straight answer from anyone on that 3 link bracket. I have a ford HP 60 so I should be good with the 3 link cross member. As of right now I have a rockcrawler 3 link that might just stay for a while.

Back