Electric buggy

Jeremyfc1

well I guess it's time for a slow build thread. I did a samurai electric conversion. That Shawn now has. So it's time to build a new crawler.

Sourced the motor controller and battery from ford e450 box truck. 400ftlbs tq from 0-3000rpm. Redline at 6k. 14kwh lithium battery 350volt system.

Got a Toyota axle buggy chassis that is getting cut to prices to fit it all in. Shooting for 50/50 weight distribution and equal length drive shafts. No trans as reverse is done electrically. Running dual Toyota cases with a short shaft between motor and tcase

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 466
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 467
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 478
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 469
Dual Toyota cases with 5.29. If I need to I'll go triple case. But these motors were built to start a 16k shuttle buss. I've and over stop light to stop light. Motor was put in place of the center bearing hanger trans -motor - rear end

There is a guy running one of these motors in a 4 runner. 5 spd trans 2wd. Leaves it in 4th. 1:1. Has 410 rear gears.
Says the acceleration 0-60 is brisk and was still pulling at 80 when he let out of the throttle.
The motor is "dual " shaft. As in one out each end was originally used between the transmission and rear end via drive shafts on each end. I originally wanted to put it in the center and just run equal length shafts front and rear. I just don't want to not have the gear to crawl. Hence the dual Toyota cases and 5.29 gears

Getting the tcase mounts figured out. Divorcing it so cut the rear end off the trans I had cleaned it up some and pulled the trans output collar out as well. Will have this press/ plugged to the yoke to the motor

That's pretty cool. But there are too many e's in your last name.

dont mind my temp holding rig. Working in telecom I have a lot of 1200lb test line so it gets used for everything

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 404
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 451
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 423
The e450 system runs a 350volt electric power steering system. As well as a 45amp 12volt dc to dc converter. Could use the electric air conditioning system for onboard air. But just don't see much need in that

Steering will be full hydro 4link front and rear. Have moved the tcase up about 10" from where it was previously. Front and rear driveshafts will be within 1.5" of each other at bump (fully compressed)

1479519319982760046043.jpg

I have this sticker on my sidekick, so that counts for something right?? I think the electric stuff is the future honestly.

Tq all day. Look up the specs for a 91-93 6bt. 110 hp 400ftlbs. The electric motor I am using is 125 hp 400ftlbs. No complaints here. Motors in the samirai were about 40-50 hp 100 Ftlbs it has plenty of tq just didn't have the horsepower or voltage for wheel speed. Was running a 72volt system. Rpm is voltage dependent

Azure dynamics built hybrid shuttle buses using ford chassis and body's. They were a limited run as the ford dealerships could not diagnose or fix any problems with the hybrid system so that partnership didn't last long. They also built the transit connect electric as well. But again didn't last long. Azure dynamics went bankrupt and auctioned off all remaining inventory.

How loud will the motor be? I know a golf cart motor makes a little noise but is no where near the size of that.

Back