Engine trouble

chuckkirch1969

Update 08/14/21 fixed problem
2004 Jeep Wrangler X TJ 4.0 Manuel 5 speed
118,000 miles
Basically all stock no lift
Upgrades: Slip Yoke Eliminator-CV Driveshaft
I've got something going on with the engine there was no indication or warning it was sudden with no reason of cause I do not abuse my jeep it is my only transportation due to my hearing loss I can't seem to pin point exactly where it is coming from
My first guess was misfire due to bad coil pack so I replaced that was not the problem
Checked the plugs not the problem
Can't be flexplate broke or cracked it's a Manuel has flywheel but I checked it anyway not problem
So I take the valve cover off everything looks good nothing looses broken and oiled up good not the problem so I drain the oil for metal shavings or pieces not really enough to pin point a problem

So is it a broken piston?
From past experiences with internal failure breaking parts the knock doesn't go away it is continuous the faster you shut it off the less damage it will cause
Any opinion of what it is and how do you know?
Any input of what I should do next?
What is the cheapest easiest fastest best advice you can give me to get my jeep up and running asap
on a $500-$700 budget
what's my options
Im on work comp due to a preventable negligence causing me to fall 30' off a scaffold breaking my back, fracturing my left knee and tibial plateau doubtful I will be able to work again I didn't think it could get any worse that was wrong cause my jeep engine crapped out on me and things went from bad to worse I've got Dr appts physical therapy surgeries that the lawfirm I hired attorneys highly express I can't miss any or it will jeopardize what I'm sure you all already know money won't be an issue and I won't be in the jam I am now I just have to make it to the end
any help input opinion advice options is very appreciated and thank you in advance.. link to the videos hopefully they are able to help you help me

Last edited:
Very hard to determine without pulling the oil pan, sounds to me like rod bearing or broken piston skirt, definetly bottom end

Was going to drop oil pan but I Can't get the exhaust bolts loose yet so I sprayed them down again with PB Blaster while that's soaking I did a compression test
Results=
C1- 150lbs
C2- 155lbs
C3- 150lbs
C4- 90lbs
C5- 155lbs
C6- 155lbs

I did 2 more compression test total of three
Results 1st test
C1- 150lbs
C2- 155lbs
C3- 150lbs
C4- 90lbs
C5- 155lbs
C6- 155lbs
Results test 2
C1- 150lbs
C2- 155lbs
C3- 150lbs
C4- 155lbs
C5- 155lbs
C6- 155lbs
Results test 3
C1- 150lbs
C2- 155lbs
C3- 150lbs
C4- 150lbs
C5- 155lbs
C6- 155lbs
cylinder 4 was 90lbs first test and 155 and 150bs the other 2 maybe I didn't have it snug enough 1st time

Got a HD inspection camera with color screen I've went in
1.Spark plugs holes-Nothing out of ordinary
2.Oil pan drain plug hole-
Nothing looked broken and no broken pieces in bottom oil pan
What should I do now??

Could bad gas be the problem ???
I stopped at a station known for bad gas my gas light was on so i had no choice i got $10 gas... later that night my jeep started Knocking Clunking Rattling Misfire Fall on its face Loss of Power no check engine light

Reposition it and check torque on all of the rockers. They may have worked loose and a hanging valve on 4 could’ve caused you compression numbers to be off. If that looks good fire it up and see what it sounds like.

Reposition it and check torque on all of the rockers. They may have worked loose and a hanging valve on 4 could’ve caused you compression numbers to be off. If that looks good fire it up and see what it sounds like.
I had to put the old oil back in, it's a lil low,
It fired up good then a tick tick tick started after driving it around gravel roads easy, it has quited down you can barley hear it
I'm changing oil and filter now

So the rocker jumped off on its own?

I have $5 that says you have a worn lifter. That will cause what you experienced.Can you compare the height of that rocker vs the one next to it when both valves are closed on that cylinder?

I checked the rods springs and rockers for damage or breakage none visable I bolted I reassembled them torqued bolt bumped starter tell tdc and the heights matched to a T I then drove it , today I took plug 6 out rigged a string on the inspection camera inserted it in cylinder 6 plug hole looked at top of piston for marks or damage compared to none yesterday then I pulled the string so the inspection camera was pointing up so I could inspect the valves it all looked normal for 118,000 miles
I went got oil,filter and can seafoam put half in oil half in tank will do a complete oil filter change here soon

With that being said I'm not saying there isn't any damage either
A bolt doesn't come loose a rocker slip off the spring there's a loud knock sounds like something coming thru the block and nothing gets damaged I'm not sold on that just yet there doesn't seem to be any damage visable from what I can tell but there is a slight Tick Tick Tick that wasn't there prior so something is not 100% correct
It has been fixed good enough for the time being for my needs for transportation to get me to and from the Dr and physical therapy appts and surgery I hope she holds together long enough to get me thru this and then the sky's the limit I'll be able to either completely rebuild it or a LS swap and or I buy a new one with the work comp settlement and the multi million dollar lawsuits that will follow

The lifter (s) wear down, which in turn makes the push rod loose on the rocker arm. This will cause a vibration that will loosen the rocker bolt.
A worn lifter will not allow proper preload and will also generate an intermittent tap from inside the engine as the lifter no longer rides properly on the camshaft lobe.
Obviously I'm sitting in my recliner drinking coffee in Hendersonville right now, I can't hear your engine. But I've seen this many, many times. My own 04 WJ has an intermittent lifter tap. Not enough for me to deal with though.

Last edited:
Explain in detail please
Allow me to help.
The gentleman giving you advice was a certified Jeep master Technician for well over a decade and was the go to guy for a wide area for all Jeep Chrysler vehicles during the exact time that your Jeep was new.

If a vehicle came in to said dealership and everyone else couldnt solve the issue he was the tech they got to look at it. He's probably repaired the same issue 100 times, no exaggeration.
If @Jody Treadway says the engine missing is because the floor mats are dirty, as nonsensical as it sound I'd clean the floor mats before I did anything else.

Good luck with your Jeep and all your medical issues.

Allow me to help.
The gentleman giving you advice was a certified Jeep master Technician for well over a decade and was the go to guy for a wide area for all Jeep Chrysler vehicles during the exact time that your Jeep was new.

If a vehicle came in to said dealership and everyone else couldnt solve the issue he was the tech they got to look at it. He's probably repaired the same issue 100 times, no exaggeration.
If @Jody Treadway says the engine missing is because the floor mats are dirty, as nonsensical as it sound I'd clean the floor mats before I did anything else.

Good luck with your Jeep and all your medical issues.
In no way shape or form whatsoever am I disrespecting anyone in this forum that's trying to help not only me but someone else that's reading this post
We are the reason my jeep is now capable of transporting me to where I need to be so don't think for a second I don't appreciate every single one of you because I certainly do to Everyone Thank You
Am I calling it done No but it's got a temporary bandaid on it for now.
I'm wanting to know what should I prepare to do now "next" since we know the problem, how long do I have ?
Do I like driving my jeep the way it is no but I've no choice I'm strapped on money right now ill have a lil money next week to out towards my jeep

Well that’s not good. You’ve got something in there that’s pretty angry and not getting along with everything else.

Did you check the last time that all rocker bolts were tight and the push rods were in their homes on the rockers?

it’s hard to tell you anything without being there. Could be a timing issue, valve issue, hell I’ve saw connecting rod caps come loose and let the piston slap the valve and cause damage.

IMO the head or the oil pan is coming off. Maybe @Jody Treadway can chime in and tell you more.

My $$$ is still on a worn/failed lifter. When he tightened the rocker bolt on the matching worn lifter, it added too much preload. Over the short period of time, it wasted the pushrod and further damaged the lifter and cam.
Those bolts don't just loosen up on their own.
Best case- new cam, lifters and pushrod(s).
Worse case- bottom end failure and wear from contamination.
I'd drain the oil through a coffee filter and inspect closely.

My $$$ is still on a worn/failed lifter. When he tightened the rocker bolt on the matching worn lifter, it added too much preload. Over the short period of time, it wasted the pushrod and further damaged the lifter and cam.
Those bolts don't just loosen up on their own.
Best case- new cam, lifters and pushrod(s).
Worse case- bottom end failure and wear from contamination.
I'd drain the oil through a coffee filter and inspect closely.
Was gonna say- I’m no Treadway level expert but sounds like classic lifter failure progression

Back