Engineering ?

Hey, wanna fight about it!
Sure:stupid:. I don't dislike State people nearly as much as UNC people. Plus a lot of the problem was that I didn't like Raleigh, I didn't like football or basketball, I didn't like fraternities, and the girlfriend was back at home (should have eliminated that before I left for college I guess).

Fully agree on your last two paragraphs, but there's some misinformation in the first paragraph. Siemens Wind Energy engineering is based in Denmark and Germany, and there is manufacturing in Hutchinson, Kansas (nacelles) and Fort Madison, Iowa (blades and composites). There are also technicians at small locations all throughout the US and world.

Its pretty easy to work in the energy industry without getting too far from home. GE has a plant in Greenville, SC, Mitsubishi is just outside of Savannah, GA, and I guess you could say I know a guy who works at the Siemens plant in Charlotte, NC

Thanks for the clairification. Hopefully cotyp is smart enough to do his research and evaluate potential employers based on more information than can be gleamed from any single post found in this thread!

Sure:stupid:. I don't dislike State people nearly as much as UNC people. Plus a lot of the problem was that I didn't like Raleigh, I didn't like football or basketball, I didn't like fraternities, and the girlfriend was back at home (should have eliminated that before I left for college I guess).

I'm just bustin your balls:driver:

Yeah i get what your saying FrontPorchFab, and honestly i am going to be doing a lot of research on the job market for the next couple of years to come.I was just looking for a little guidance in the right direction since a couple of you guys have already been threw what i am about to get into..

I have a question for the uncc student's, are the physics classes really that hard. I am wondering because i am taking physics one right now over the summer because I thought before i needed it to transfer, but now they changed up the requirements for people 21 or older and i do not need it to transfer i can just take it there. My cousin has been telling me to stay in and do the class at the CC level because at uncc the physics classes are very hard because they are weed out classes. I would really like a summer off to relax before i start at uncc because i have been taking classes fall, spring, and summer for the past two years plus working 25-30 hours a week.

Last edited:
Best advice I can give is go talk to your advisor. They can tell you if you really need it or not.

I like calculus a lot and have took calc1 and passed it with an A, I don't really have an adviser yet i have only meet with undergraduate admissions.

And i just now noticed that the physics class i am taking will transfer but will not even count to my degree because i need 2101 and i am taking the equivalent of 1101.

It should count to your degree regardless, possibly just as an elective credit though. I've had a few classes end up like that in my transcript. Emailing important persons at the college will help too man! They will answer any questions you have and point you in the direction to take. I've been emailing people( Admissions/advisors/professors) from Campbell to see exactly what I need to do about making the process of getting into the Doctor of Pharmacy School as easy as possible. So far a lot of beneficial information.

I like calculus a lot and have took calc1 and passed it with an A, I don't really have an adviser yet i have only meet with undergraduate admissions.

And i just now noticed that the physics class i am taking will transfer but will not even count to my degree because i need 2101 and i am taking the equivalent of 1101.

If your going the tech route 1101 is fine but the reg side requires 2101 which is calc based physics. 1101 may still count as your science elective but well be fairly useless if your going for a regular engineering degree rather than engineering tech.

If your going the tech route 1101 is fine but the reg side requires 2101 which is calc based physics. 1101 may still count as your science elective but well be fairly useless if your going for a regular engineering degree rather than engineering tech.

Yeah im going bsme route, not tech.

I have a question for the uncc student's, are the physics classes really that hard. I am wondering because i am taking physics one right now over the summer because I thought before i needed it to transfer, but now they changed up the requirements for people 21 or older and i do not need it to transfer i can just take it there. My cousin has been telling me to stay in and do the class at the CC level because at uncc the physics classes are very hard because they are weed out classes. I would really like a summer off to relax before i start at uncc because i have been taking classes fall, spring, and summer for the past two years plus working 25-30 hours a week.
Its been a few years since I was there, but the answer is probably still yes. The classes are hard because the professors have crappy english, so its hard to understand their explanations, and they have loose attendance policies, so its difficult to make it to class. I had Physics 1 credit already from a high school AP class, but the first time I took Physics 2, I got an F in the class and a A+ in the lab. I didn't do my homework (-10%) and I didn't go to class (-10%) and I didn't study, so I averaged around 60-70 on the tests. I knew the stuff well enough to ace the lab, but didn't bother with the paperwork details and botched the test. The second time around, I went to class and did my homework, and had like a 98 or 99 average.

I'm here at uncc now, I took physics 1 in the fall and physics 2 in the spring. I did all of the homework's, went to half of the lectures, studied hard for all exams and I received an A in both. The material wasn't too terribly hard however the professors are bad at teaching it, Best thing to do is find some friends and form a study group and learn off each other. Also all assignments were online (expertTA) so chegg is a good investment.
good luck…

Jeremy

Do NOT take physics during the summer there. I did summer of 2002 or '03.

It was 6 weeks 4-5 hours a day 5 days a week. I got so far behind it was impossible to get caught up.

Physics is best taught by a teacher you can understand and the labs that make it relatable.

Don't skip the labs!

Update: I Made it through freshman year of classes at unc Charlotte and now i am onto the sophomore classes this semester. Physics is by far the worst class i have took, i think the material inst that bad but the teachers here at uncc are just not good at teaching it. My worst fear was the math classes when i started on this journey at community college but now that i am taking calc 3 and got through differential equations i can say that the math classes are the least of my worries now.

Congrats! Just graduated in the May with a BSME. You're correct about the physics, content isn't that bad but the professors blow due to the lack of English. Diff EQ was pretty easy. Calc 3 sucks there too. The fun stuff is later down the road. Don't give up, excel through these easier classes so you have some leeway with the harder classes down the road.

Yeah i am liking it a lot but i cant wait to get deeper into the MEGR side of my classes, i should be in strictly engineering classes next semester as long as physics 2 goes good.

Back