F250 7.3 What have I done.....

fear.JPG

A little update. Made a fast trip to Atlanta yesterday. Went to meet a friend that picked up an axle for my trailer project while he was in Florida. went great the whole way down. Solid 3 - 4 hours driving 80 down to hotlanta. We went to lunch in his Gladiator. I hadn't been in one yet. It was really nice. SO on the way home around Aiken cruise was set to about 85 following a jeep grand clearing the way. Out of no where it started to down shift. At least that is what I think it did. RMP's shot up it shifted a couple times so I hit the hazzards and tried to get off I-20. I didn't have a chance to really notice anything but there was no lights on that is for sure. I wish I had noticed the gears. Once I got off the road a red battery light came on then the dash said put in neutral to restart. What? I was off the highway so I put it in park and restarted it. No lights all gauges normal. I put it in drive and figured I'd see what it would do. She drove fine. I got back up to 75 set the cruise and headed home. Got home about 7:00 last night with no other issues. I plan to call the service department Monday that I have a good relationship with and see what they recommend. However at 27,7xx miles and a warranty running out at 36K has got me a little concerned.

A little update. Made a fast trip to Atlanta yesterday. Went to meet a friend that picked up an axle for my trailer project while he was in Florida. went great the whole way down. Solid 3 - 4 hours driving 80 down to hotlanta. We went to lunch in his Gladiator. I hadn't been in one yet. It was really nice. SO on the way home around Aiken cruise was set to about 85 following a jeep grand clearing the way. Out of no where it started to down shift. At least that is what I think it did. RMP's shot up it shifted a couple times so I hit the hazzards and tried to get off I-20. I didn't have a chance to really notice anything but there was no lights on that is for sure. I wish I had noticed the gears. Once I got off the road a red battery light came on then the dash said put in neutral to restart. What? I was off the highway so I put it in park and restarted it. No lights all gauges normal. I put it in drive and figured I'd see what it would do. She drove fine. I got back up to 75 set the cruise and headed home. Got home about 7:00 last night with no other issues. I plan to call the service department Monday that I have a good relationship with and see what they recommend. However at 27,7xx miles and a warranty running out at 36K has got me a little concerned.
Sounds like a bad electrical connection somewhere. The tranny in my truck started randomly going in to limp mode during highway driving a couple months ago. And by randomly, I mean EVERY time I drove it once it got warmed up. Unplugged the big harness at the transmission, waited 1 minute, plugged it back in, it hasn't missed a beat since. Everything was clean and dry, but im guessing just moving the connectors fixed the poor contact or piece of dust or whatever was causing the variation which was freaking out the system. Hopefully yours is just as simple.

Sounds like a bad electrical connection somewhere. The tranny in my truck started randomly going in to limp mode during highway driving a couple months ago. And by randomly, I mean EVERY time I drove it once it got warmed up. Unplugged the big harness at the transmission, waited 1 minute, plugged it back in, it hasn't missed a beat since. Everything was clean and dry, but im guessing just moving the connectors fixed the poor contact or piece of dust or whatever was causing the variation which was freaking out the system. Hopefully yours is just as simple.
Very likely you had the smallest amount of ā€œrustā€ on a pin and was causing intermittent single loss. R&R the connector essentially sanded it clean.

Interesting. I guess I should figure out which plug that is on mine. we mainly drive the wife's Passatt so she does sit for days at a time.

The "Good" news is if you can DOCUMENT the issue occurred before 36K miles it will be covered to be repaired after. I unfortunately had this happen on a 2012 Fiesta I owned that intermittently started having a light come on around 30K miles. The first time the dealer said well we can't diagnose it if it's not there. The second time I got my pone out and recorded the light on, the mileage, everything. Included when I pulled over and restarted the car and it went away.

That's all Ford needed as documentation, turned out to be a TSB on my wiring harness but definitely record it with your phone and you will be covered as it's documented the issue occurred in the warranty period. Hopefully that is still the case but that is what the local Ford dealer told me and my covered repair happened somewhere around the 37K mark.

The "Good" news is if you can DOCUMENT the issue occurred before 36K miles it will be covered to be repaired after. I unfortunately had this happen on a 2012 Fiesta I owned that intermittently started having a light come on around 30K miles. The first time the dealer said well we can't diagnose it if it's not there. The second time I got my pone out and recorded the light on, the mileage, everything. Included when I pulled over and restarted the car and it went away.

That's all Ford needed as documentation, turned out to be a TSB on my wiring harness but definitely record it with your phone and you will be covered as it's documented the issue occurred in the warranty period. Hopefully that is still the case but that is what the local Ford dealer told me and my covered repair happened somewhere around the 37K mark.
I would hope he can use his post as documentation

Back