F550 possible oops....licensing question

Would there be any benefits if getting commercial over non commercial cdl?

If I didn't need one, I damn sure wouldn't have one. They're expensive, IIRC you can't have any BAC (not that you should drive after drinking, but...), and don't you have to deal with a physical every year to keep it? Just sounds like a lot of bother to deal with.

Good info in here. That flow chart reads differently than the one i found, it didnt say anything about combined. Would therw be any benefits if getting commercial over non commercial cdl?

I do tow outside of state sometimes, as well as work out of state occasionally. Would i still be g2g with the not for hire decals in that aspect?

Also what is the reasoning of not having any motorsports decals, not that i do, just curious. I dont have anything on the 550 yet, but will have logo on the doors, and may have a SCAG logo and perhaps some fishing related stuff.

My buddy got pulled coming from NC into VA and the DOT officer told him he needed DOT numbers to cross state lines. I've never had a problem myself though.

Edit: He was over 26k combined weight

My buddy got pulled coming from NC into VA and the DOT officer told him he needed DOT numbers to cross state lines. I've never had a problem myself though.

Edit: He was over 26k combined weight

Supposedly "not for hire" fixes that... But I am really not sure. Seeing how we are on the correct coast... I am not sure I would want a blanket set of federal rules. It is kinda ridiculous there is diffredif rules for every state tho.

Is there a guide book to each states laws? Similar to the 50 state carry guide?

That's a bad ass truck man. Very nice. What are those?

I've got an 04 F550 and went through this. In NC, if you are towing a trailer that has a GVWR above 10,001#, you need your class A license. North Carolina does offer a non-CDL class A license, so that's what you need. I took my Class A license test with my 550 and a 12k car hauler bumper pull trailer. Have pulled in TN and NC so far. There are so many variations in other states, it's tough to know for sure.

FWIW, I do have "not for hire" stickers on the sides of my truck.

Thanks for all the props on the truck guys! It definitly gets some looks.
Hopefully picking it up this evening from a friend of a friends. Had a bad manifold leak and uppipe leak so had manifold gaskets, bellowed uppipes, and a new turbo pedestal installed. Glad i didnt do it as the only rust on the truck was the manifold bolts, had to be cut out! Cant wait to see how it runs and pulls with proper boost.

The wheels are titan ew super singles, it is a equipment wheel manufacturer. Tires are 37x13.50x20 maxxis razr.

Thanks for all the info as well on the cdl thing. For now i will definitly be looking into getting my class a's non commercial. For those of you that have the noncomm what, if any, are the restrictions? Study the sam thing as the cdl test i assume?
Wanted to take it up to the mountains for a camping trip with @awspence but it wasnt ready so i took the wifes ride instead, which we tow our yaks and camper with. 08 range rover 4.2sc westminster. Dont mind the chrome, still havnt gotten a chance to get it powdercoated yet. Have to find someone to do it.
20180715_122858.jpg

Attachments

• 20180715_122921.jpg
    20180715_122921.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 20180715_121543.jpg
    20180715_121543.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 205
I’m thinking you study the same CDL handbook and take the same 50 question test. Difference is you show up with your rig for the driving test and you get a restriction placed on your license for no tractor trailers.

Also i have towed 10k+ gvwr trailers here in nc for hell 14 years or so now and never had anyone question. Been running 14k trailers for the last 5 years and no issues from The Man, and i have been pulled various times, including being stopped to get weighed. Didnt weigh me though bc he said i was the only person he ever stopped that knew within a couple hundred pounds what i was loaded.

Thanks for all the props on the truck guys! It definitly gets some looks.
Hopefully picking it up this evening from a friend of a friends. Had a bad manifold leak and uppipe leak so had manifold gaskets, bellowed uppipes, and a new turbo pedestal installed. Glad i didnt do it as the only rust on the truck was the manifold bolts, had to be cut out! Cant wait to see how it runs and pulls with proper boost.

The wheels are titan ew super singles, it is a equipment wheel manufacturer. Tires are 37x13.50x20 maxxis razr.

Thanks for all the info as well on the cdl thing. For now i will definitly be looking into getting my class a's non commercial. For those of you that have the noncomm what, if any, are the restrictions? Study the sam thing as the cdl test i assume?
Wanted to take it up to the mountains for a camping trip with @awspence but it wasnt ready so i took the wifes ride instead, which we tow our yaks and camper with. 08 range rover 4.2sc westminster. Dont mind the chrome, still havnt gotten a chance to get it powdercoated yet. Have to find someone to do it.View attachment 272247

Just pick up the CDL book and study the main section. Same test as the CDL minus the specialty areas as I recall (no air section etc but there were a couple air questions). No restictions other than tankers and air brakes etc if you don't do those extra tests and of course not for commercial use. I think you can get the air brakes endorsement if you wanted but that's another part of the test. Once the test is done, you schedule your driving test. That for mine was just a loop around the block with a truck/trailer that has a GCVWR >26001 (mine was 14K truck and 14K gooseneck). No biggie but took a couple weeks to take the test and wait for the appt for the test drive. easy peasy.

if any, are the restrictions? Study the sam thing as the cdl test i assume?

Exactly the same requirements, as others have said. No restrictions.

...and you get a restriction placed on your license for no tractor trailers.

False. No restrictions on my license, says "Class: A" "Restr: None". The DMV tried to give me a CDL A with an air brake restriction, but I fought them, and successfully got a non-commercial class A with no restrictions at all.

Also i have towed 10k+ gvwr trailers here in nc for hell 14 years or so now and never had anyone question. Been running 14k trailers for the last 5 years and no issues from The Man, and i have been pulled various times, including being stopped to get weighed.

The non-commercial class A license is required only if your trailer is over 10k GVWR and your GCWR is over 26k (see the spreadsheet posted earlier). If you tow a 14k trailer with a 250/2500 series truck, you're under 26k GCWR, and legal with a normal class C, at least from a license perspective. Tow that same trailer with a 550/5500 and you're always illegal unless you have a class A.

If I didn't need one, I damn sure wouldn't have one. They're expensive, IIRC you can't have any BAC (not that you should drive after drinking, but...), and don't you have to deal with a physical every year to keep it? Just sounds like a lot of bother to deal with.

You can have a BAC with a CDL, just not while driving a commercial vehicle. My situation is irrelevant, but I kept my CDL and it's not currently active since I have not kept up with my physical. There was a form I had to fill out to keep it. I couldn't justify letting it go for the chance that I could need it again.

I just renewed my CDL 2 weeks ago. Class B FWIW. I don't drink much at all so I am not up on the BAC part of things admittedly. But to the best of my recollection:

Physical every 2 years. Piss test at time of testing and can randomly be asked for one. BAC below 0.04 IIRC and zero when in operation of CDL vehicle.

I just renewed my CDL 2 weeks ago. Class B FWIW. I don't drink much at all so I am not up on the BAC part of things admittedly. But to the best of my recollection:

Physical every 2 years. Piss test at time of testing and can randomly be asked for one. BAC below 0.04 IIRC and zero when in operation of CDL vehicle.

That is correct with a CDL in NC you are limited to half the legal limit of any other non cdl driver when driving your personal vehicle and o when driving a commercial rig. The first is insane, no clue why a cdl driver is held to a higher standard than a non cdl driver when driving a personal vehicle.

Back