Farming 101

GubNi

8 lug disc brakes?
I have a few acres of field that needs to have a purpose. I have thought about farming some. I don't expect to make money, but if I can learn and maybe donate some crops that would be cool.

I have a RZR 800 that I want to use as a tractor. Yeah.... I know, but I like to be different. I recently bought a tow behind bush hog and it's pretty awesome so that got me thinking about tilling the ground with tow behind implements.

Keep in mind I know almost nothing about farming with a tractor. I have planted many gardens with a hand tiller though.

So how do I go about breaking up the ground? I think I need to plow first, then disc, then harrow? This is the part I don't understand. The area is hard packed dirt with grass now. Also it seems I should plow in the fall and disc in the spring?

it all depends on what you want to plant.

you can get cultivators, discs, etc for the atv/utv.

I dont know if they make something for a sxs, but I would run a ripper/cultivator through the ground first. That with a rototiller would to wonders to working the ground. If you are planting a seed crop, a seed driller would potentially eliminate the need for the tiller.

I would suggest putting 4-6" of good compost and nutrient soil down on top of what is there, if you are doing more than field crop.

Look into hemp, i think thats going to be a big deal eventually.

I would initially get someone to plow it for you with a heavy tractor that can turn it over pretty deep, then you more or less have the process of harrow or breaking up the clumps. We used to always break new ground in the fall and then plow it back the other way and harrow it in the spring.

Have you give any thought drilling some grass seed fencing it in and maybe putting a cow or two out there?

What I meant was drilling some pearl millet or some rye something for some cows to eat on. Then fencing it in.

If you have your own equipment you'll have around 350 to$400 a acre planting corn or beans you have to yield pretty strong to get your money back.

What is grass seed fencing?

Punctuation got him again. Drilling seed grass, fencing it in, and putting a cow.

Unless there is a specific crop you are looking to grow, I would look at something you can seed drill or a bush/tree type crop. Most home garden type crops require constant maintenance and work to product good yields. Also you will want to fertilize the ground good or bring in compost.

Good hay is a big seller right now, but 3 ac likely isnt enough to entice a farmer to come harvest. Barely, hops, and wine grapes are fairly big right now.

Might could look into the local AG extension or schools and see if they have programs that would benefit. They are likely looking for places for students or crop testing to be done.

If you really want to spend some money blackberrys that's the big hype right now.

im gonna step out of the box here. how much property do you have all total? if you had a decent amount of land and the 3
acres weren't all together and you didnt mind someone hunting on your property you could lease it to a hunter for a price per acre per year and allow him to "improve" (plant corn, soybean, other foodplots) on the 3 acres.

im gonna step out of the box here. how much property do you have all total? if you had a decent amount of land and the 3
acres weren't all together and you didnt mind someone hunting on your property you could lease it to a hunter for a price per acre per year and allow him to "improve" (plant corn, soybean, other foodplots) on the 3 acres.

I have 30 acres mostly woods and I see deer all the time. How does a hunting lease work?

I have a few acres of field that needs to have a purpose. I have thought about farming some. I don't expect to make money, but if I can learn and maybe donate some crops that would be cool.

I have a RZR 800 that I want to use as a tractor. Yeah.... I know, but I like to be different. I recently bought a tow behind bush hog and it's pretty awesome so that got me thinking about tilling the ground with tow behind implements.

Keep in mind I know almost nothing about farming with a tractor. I have planted many gardens with a hand tiller though.

So how do I go about breaking up the ground? I think I need to plow first, then disc, then harrow? This is the part I don't understand. The area is hard packed dirt with grass now. Also it seems I should plow in the fall and disc in the spring?

My experience with the ATV implements is that they work OK with softer soil, not the gawd awful compacted clay we have up here. If the soil is hard packed, I'd get somebody to turn it over and disc it first. Then keep it up with the ATV. Looks like you're near the coast...so you may be OK with the ATV from the start if you have a sandy/loamy soil.

I have 30 acres mostly woods and I see deer all the time. How does a hunting lease work?
You would basically make the rules you want. Basically make a lease for your property but only for hunting rights. You can make it were they can't be in certain areas and whatever else. Depending on your area will determine what you charge per acre. And who you let lease it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Might try raising sweet corn.A buddy of mine plants it for his girls to sell,not too high maintenance,but you might have trouble keepin it w the wildlife.

Soil Testing NCDA&CS - Agronomic Services Division Soil Testing Home Page
Anything you do is going to be labor intensive. A small greenhouse would allow you to grow starter plants for gardeners, mums for Fall, etc and not be on such a large scale. A market garden with a mixture of popular veggies plus watermelons, cantaloupe, and pumpkins may be good. And you could always do a daylilly garden and your crop automatically renews itself each year, same with hostas in your more shady areas and both are not as labor intensive as garden crops.

Last edited:
Back