Farming 101

deep plowing is of the devil. kills your microbes.

call me

Now I'm really confused, lol.

girls.jpg

God in His infinite wisdom, designed the earth to be sustainable. When you deep plow you put anaerobic bacteria on top, and aerobic bacteria on the bottom. You nuke it. Chemical onslaught also toasts the microbes. The bugs in your soil are what is directly responsible for converting fertilizer into something usable by the plant. These "bugs" feed on carbohydrates for fuel, you can supply this but mostly they rely on fodder and organic matter.

Don't deep plow. And dont use chemicals that are high pH or low pH.

Farms are getting more and more fodder. Fodder sits on the ground and is even deep tilled into the soil. They beat and pulverize it, and nothing. They are waiting on the universites to invent a new implement to pulverize better. But God designed the soil and bugs to break down this fodder and turn it into organic matter for planting in spring.

If you wake up in spring and last seasons harvest is still on the ground... you need more microbes. Period.

nevermind.....

Here is some pointers

-soil is more than dirt. it is alive. it is porous, filled with organic matter, water, air, microorganisms, worms, critters. Its a jungle and it takes living soil to produce a healthy (high brix) harvest.

-brix (plant sugar level) is your most important thing in the plant. did you know a pest does not have a pancreas? it can not process sugar. pests will pass up healthy plants and consume the sick (low sugar) plants. this was God's way of giving us a sign of knowing what of the harvest NOT to eat...

-the most important tool you can own if you want to farm, is a brix meter. You can call it your bullshit meter. Anything someone wants you to use, if it doesn't increase the brix, throw it out (broad statement for a dramatic point)

-carbon in your soil is extremely important and one of the most important amendments you can do. carbon holds up to 4? times its weight in water. there is a similarity between people today and common plant ailments. look up the symptoms of prolonged dehydration (the dehydration, has nothing to do with lack of rain).

-understand what chemicals and gmo’s are doing. understand glyphosate and what it is doing. a study by USDA proved: organic corn has 14 ppm of manganese while chemical grown corn has only 2. organic corn has 6,130 ppm of calcium and only 14 in chemically grown… the list goes on

-another usda study conducted showed: since 1975 agriculture has seen the greatest loss of vitamins and minerals in their harvest in recorded history of mankind. In this study it showed: Apples, Vitamin A: Down 41%. Sweet Peppers, Vitamin C: Down 31%. Broccoli, Vitamin A and Calcium, Down 50%. The goes on.

-characteristics of sustainable soil. drains well and warms up quickly in spring with no tilling. does not crust after “low-till” or planting. soaks up heavy rains with little to no runoff. stores moisture for droughts. has an abundance of bacteria and other microbials. supports high populations of organisms. resists erosion and nutrient runoff. does not require increasing fertilizer inputs every year for marginal results. produces healthy plants with high brixx.

-good soils is usually: 45% minerals, 25% air, 25% water and 2 to 5% organic matter. one acre of Healthy soil contains approx 7,500 Lbs of living organisms and plant material (organic matter)

-water facts: one inch of rain = 27,154 gallons of water per acre. average healthy soil with only ***1 %*** total organic matter can hold approx. 16,500 gallons of water per acre (0.6 inch rainfall). average healthy soil with only 2.5% total organic matter can hold approx. 41,250 gallons of water per acre… digress back to the dehydration issue. Water is at the basis of all life. Plants, animals, people. All majority water. The point here; if your soil is crap constant rains is what you require, and God forbid a dry season comes on...

-we have met farmers who think wayyy outside the box. not commonly known. every plant takes nutrients, but it ALSO inputs nutrients into the soil. God created weeds too. They are putting nutrients into the soil where something is deficient. A completely healthy soil has virtually zero weeds. we’ve seen it, we’ve done it. One farmer we met would make compost teas from the weeds he would pull and spray this back on the ground. the weeds would literally “turn off”, tricked into thinking they are not needed. wild stuff.

-when you do have a weed issue, the best thing to do is plant a cover crop. also don't buy into the habit of using plastic to cover your soil. you might as well microwave the soil. go to a farm that does this, and poke a hole in the middle of the day and feel the heat coming off.. you're cooking your soil. mulches can and obviously do work. but a cover crop will be more beneficial. you can google a guy on youtube “back to eden” and he shows how to proper use mulches. the right mulches promote so much organic matter that very little fertilizer is needed for simple gardens doing crop rotations.

-i have attached a picture showing fodder. this was taken in early spring just before planting. this should have been consumed by the soil biology. a second picture shows where one of these stalks still standing was pulled up. you can see that even the root mass hasn't biodegraded! this is very very poor soil. A microbiologist we had as a consultant before he passed once said: “the soils in the US are so poor, if people only knew how close we were to to not being able to grow a single thing”. we reversed one of the largest citrus farms in florida. you could stand at the edge of the field and hear: plop, plop plop, plop, plop plop plop. The citrus falling off the trees. the trees are so undernourished, so sick, it cant even hold up the fruit. the farmer told: his grandad farmed a dozen boxes per tree, his dad less than half that, and now he gets one per tree… you could go long on US citrus right now and be setup to make a lot of money. very very near collapse.

call me anytime shawn. its what we do for a living, and you know you're doing something right when you double the yield of a 6000 acre farm, or when welches pays out triple for the new high brix grapes coming in…

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 18.22.50.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 18.22.50.png
    318.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 18.23.44.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 18.23.44.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
I refuse to get drug into a debate that both sides cant adequately support their claims. Before we get into ISFP, and ESFP and other nuanced Agronomical theories one has to first understand 9th grade life sciences, which prior posts in this thread clearly contradict. My dear friend J.A Martini would roll over in his grave otherwise.

Beyond all that, my man Gubni asked about what to do on a few small acres on his land. He isnt looking to start high volume fast turn agriculture with intensive crop cycle management.

Nothing that Shawn is looking to do will be impacted one iota whether he tills or not...unless he just wants to buy a seed drill.

Well where I'm from (round here) you aint planting shit if you don't break it first time. I'm also pretty sure he ain't either with a RZR unless its broken (foregoing sandy soil).

Breaking soul and "low till" is NOT the same thing as deep tilling.

No theories have been stated.

Doesn't matter if you're growing 1 acre or 1000. If you want nutritious food the most important thing to do is take care of your soul so it can take care of your plants.

All very easily provable with farming.

You reap what you sow

Some people no till on good crop land, but you can't no till regular land that's not been worked regularly. Some people claim that a disc blade causes to much erosion but if you've got some good rich soil that's not much problem anyway.

Breaking soul and "low till" is NOT the same thing as deep tilling.

No theories have been stated.

Doesn't matter if you're growing 1 acre or 1000. If you want nutritious food the most important thing to do is take care of your soul so it can take care of your plants.

All very easily provable with farming.

You reap what you sow

Well I do take care of my soul, i guess thats why i have nice plants.

Get away from all the controversy here and start a flea market on the land ..... 3 acres would be a good size for that.

Matt

Get away from all the controversy here and start a flea market on the land ..... 3 acres would be a good size for that.

Matt
I believe the 3 acres is his backyard. I would not want a flea market in my backyard. I wouldn't want it in my neighbors backyard either. And I definitely would not want the riffraff and saturday morning traffic that goes along with it.

Back