FEMA - Hurricane Helene. Get your $.

2015...but yeah.

Weird story that. The night of the flood Clemson played Notre Dame in Clemson. One of my long time customers is a ND grad living in SC. Got them tix to the game and a hotel room. Plan was they came to game, we tailgated, both crashed at hotel in Easley -sepearte rooms of course. Then we had been invited to his wife's b-day cookout that Sunday in Lexington. They had no family down here and few friends. Dude is a workaholic. (Wonder how we bonded? workaholics who like football and bourbon...wait I think thats what also attracts @UTfball68 and I, but I digress)....so we got to the game its a rain soaked awesome time, at lest for my family. Back to the hotel, a cracker barrel breakfast and then we follow them back to Lexington to help them prep for the cookout....only to find their home gone. Not damaged, just ....not there anymore. Was awkward...

Fun fact. When we had the 1K year flood here in SC, in 2014?, wife lost her entire finished basement. I had to remove the carpet on the floor and the paneling on the walls. No flood insurance so the insurance people told her to contact FEMA since it was a natural disaster. They came did an inspection and said she qualified. They sent her $250.

This reminds me.... saw this online, so it has to be true, right?!

INSURANCE ADVICE given from a Florida agent (and good human for sharing):
For anyone who sustains water damage: when placing a claim do NOT use the word flood. At all. Don’t even agree that your house was flooded if they say something like ‘oh so the house is flooded’. No. Bad. Respond using ‘no my home did not flood, my home had water intrusion/damage due to hurricane winds and rain’ Use things like ‘water intrusion from hurricane winds’ and ‘water damage due to hurricane force winds’. WATER INTRUSION AND WATER DAMAGE. No flood. They will throw out your claim faster than you can finish speaking. Same goes for your car and anything else insured.
When submitting a claim don’t just say ‘toaster’ cause they’ll go as cheap as possible and send you a $7 Walmart toaster even though you had a $450 Hamilton Beach 4 slice digital toaster or something. The more serial numbers and photos and receipts the better honestly. For everything. Appliances, furniture, electronics, etc. Cannon camera

This reminds me.... saw this online, so it has to be true, right?!

INSURANCE ADVICE given from a Florida agent (and good human for sharing):
For anyone who sustains water damage: when placing a claim do NOT use the word flood. At all. Don’t even agree that your house was flooded if they say something like ‘oh so the house is flooded’. No. Bad. Respond using ‘no my home did not flood, my home had water intrusion/damage due to hurricane winds and rain’ Use things like ‘water intrusion from hurricane winds’ and ‘water damage due to hurricane force winds’. WATER INTRUSION AND WATER DAMAGE. No flood. They will throw out your claim faster than you can finish speaking. Same goes for your car and anything else insured.
When submitting a claim don’t just say ‘toaster’ cause they’ll go as cheap as possible and send you a $7 Walmart toaster even though you had a $450 Hamilton Beach 4 slice digital toaster or something. The more serial numbers and photos and receipts the better honestly. For everything. Appliances, furniture, electronics, etc. Cannon camera
We were actually told to leave the debris on site for the inspector. I had the water logged carpet beside the house and the molding paneling. Shocked me how fast the paneling sucked up the little bit of water and started to mold behind it.

The state is finally funneling information to the counties to prepare for D-SNAP applications for 25 designated NC counties. Current recipients are not eligible for this program & have automatically been issued replacement benefits. In addition, those with certifications ending 9/2024 - 12/2024 have been automatically extended statewide.

For disaster benefits, they do take additional expenses into the eligibility determination. Please don't just look at the chart & count yourself out, factor in all the related expenses incurred.

Applications (you can apply for yourself or on behalf of someone else):

More information:

Press release: Residents in Western North Carolina Can Apply for Help Buying Food Following Hurricane Helene

The state is finally funneling information to the counties to prepare for D-SNAP applications for 25 designated NC counties. Current recipients are not eligible for this program & have automatically been issued replacement benefits. In addition, those with certifications ending 9/2024 - 12/2024 have been automatically extended statewide.

For disaster benefits, they do take additional expenses into the eligibility determination. Please don't just look at the chart & count yourself out, factor in all the related expenses incurred.

Applications (you can apply for yourself or on behalf of someone else):

More information:

Press release: Residents in Western North Carolina Can Apply for Help Buying Food Following Hurricane Helene
Headed that way! lol 😝 sorry had to

Back