M&M Offroad

Stats...
2006 5.3 chevy
Th350 trans
Np 203 low range gear box
Fj 60 transfercase
Cruiser axles (Rear steer)
ANd of course Longs... The true test...
Before everyone post that i will break Toyota axles pulling this rig on the trailer... I have had good luck in running this setup in 4cyl buggys.. i think the cruiser thirds and a light driving style will allow it to be super light and have plenty of power... Plus if it blows up pulling it on the trailer i will just put tons
under it..:driver: ...
After completing this chassis i will start building a duplicate.. so if anyone is interested let me know... Should fit any popular drivetrain setup... bare bones chassis starting at 3k... thanks

103_0151.JPG

103_0152.JPG

103_0153.JPG

This will be cool...The Cruiser axles should hold up fine with the Longs.
5.3 Chevy engine
Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss that part:flipoff2: The longs *might* live but the RP will be the weak link, either way I can't wait to see how it works:beer:

Cruiser ring & pinions are very stout in the fine spline variety. The weak link will be the hubs/flanges, the bolts holding them on, and/or the steering knuckles (trunions mainly).

PJ, looks good!!

This will be for me personally..... but I agree the 9.5 inch r&p in cruiser is stout... i am going to run 4.88 gears cryoed... as far as weak hubs and guts... i have had good luck with new 6 pin drive flanges... I am expecting this buggy to weigh in around 3400lbs or less hopefull that will not be to hard on trunion bearings.... we will see.... As far as the cruiser case adaptor, a guy out in colorodo is making them.. through advance adaptors.

and so it begins...

looks good pj! i really feel like it will hold up. what spline count are the inners on the cruzza axles?

Longfield drive flanges with ARP studs and 6 dowels will hold. The r&p or locker will fail first.
Like these...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• trucks n such 366.jpg
    trucks n such 366.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2,771
  • trucks n such 369.jpg
    trucks n such 369.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 2,592
I have had good luck with all but the toyota ring gear in an 8 inch application... I am hoping going to 9.5 inch cruiser..will make the differance i need... Inner axle on cruiser is 30 spline..

For the record, I wasn't saying those are weak, just what I figured would break first when something finally does let go..

The 6-pin hubs are pimp...

Looking good PJ, should be a nice set-up. Can't wait to see more progress!

new pics

some from today.... held up hood to get an idea of the entire project...
103_0154.JPG

103_0156.JPG

103_0157.JPG

good thing you have that lift to hold up the hood, i hear those can weigh like 6000lbs stock :flipoff2:

weekend progress

103_0158.JPG

103_0159.JPG

I really like the idea... I would love to do the same with my Toy Buggy... Drop the Squirrel and Go 5.3 Auto.. just for the Wheel Speed on up hill climbs. Plus ad rear steer.. But for me to do that would have to go with a new chassis.. Since mine is so short.
Plus I would love Cruiser hood/grill and not my 90's Skins.

And to think i was haft way worried about my toy rear steer and honda motor:lol:

I like the grill by they way.

Seth

NO problem.. on the axle.. it was collecting dust.... I know it is risky on cruiser axles.. but i think i can make them live... After pricing out 609 parts and My labor.. i could easily carry a complete set of spare LONGS... For less money.. Dbrown2... you are right.. i have never really had a problem crawling or bumping things in my other buggy, i wanted to do a v8 to have some power on hill climbs and other sitiations ... Keeping the weight to as close to my other buggies have been as possible.....plus it has not been done this way yet...

update pics

103_0178.JPG

103_0177.JPG

103_0174.JPG

one more crappy pic...

103_0173.JPG

Back