flat tow vs. dolly vs. trailer

Zebbie

I am moving from NC to AZ and will tow my jeep with my ram 1500. I will have some mountains to go through. since we are moving cross country.
I need to save every dollar I can.

there is what I found. Penske and budget do not rent dolly or trailer without moving truck towing it. uhaul price is $400 for dolly and $850 for trailer. flat tow does not seem like an option because it would be too much extra for breaking system.

info if needed: ram is 2010 has 5.7L gas, with Laramie / tow package.
jeep is on 35's and 6in lift.

What would you do? / tips? / suggestions?

P.S. I know to remove drive shaft on jeep for dolly or flat tow.

I would put it on a trailer. Thats a long, long way to flat tow or dolly tow a Jeep with 35s. Plus thats excessive wear and tear on the rear tires and 35's ain't cheap. Plus it saves you from having to pull the rear driveshaft and any other problems associated with it.

I've never flat towed or used a dolly. Moved my ex-wife's car from CT to NC on a U-haul trailer behind a U-haul moving truck. (side note: she was my wife at the time. No way I'd do that for an ex, in my case) I had no issues with the trailer.

Where are you going in AZ? I've got in-laws in Lake Havasu City and Phoenix. My father in law took me on the trails and exploring old mines in his YJ when we visited a few years back. That was so much fun!

Ship it? What is it, 2000 miles? At 10mpg, 200 gallons, $2.50/gallon is $500 in fuel. Plus trailer rental. Plus headache. Plus wear and tear on tires/driveline. Or find someone going to Moab with a spot on a trailer, and get it most of the way there.

I've never flat towed or used a dolly. Moved my ex-wife's car from CT to NC on a U-haul trailer behind a U-haul moving truck. (side note: she was my wife at the time. No way I'd do that for an ex, in my case) I had no issues with the trailer.

Where are you going in AZ? I've got in-laws in Lake Havasu City and Phoenix. My father in law took me on the trails and exploring old mines in his YJ when we visited a few years back. That was so much fun!

moving to Tempe. to be close to family. that is huge bonus of going to the offroad meca. I cant wait to see what real trails are like!

Hire a shipper, or buy a trailer and sell it when you get there.

Flat towing is dangerous. Tow dollies are only slightly less so. It's one thing to do it behind a 35,000# motorhome, but a Jeep can sling a pickup around if things get hairy.

good tip about shipping it. I will have to check into that.

I will still have to get me and the truck there tho. but I will compare prices.

tires are at about 20% anyway.

Ship it.

Get on the interwebs and get quotes for shipping. I had my TJ shipped from Portland to Asheville when I bought it 2 years ago for $800. Between trailer and fuel to pull it you will save $$$ shipping it for sure.

When we do the Rubicon, I'm going to price shipping/flight vs tow. MUCH fewer vacation days burned, plus the lack of fatigue might cancel any additional cost

I'd be in the 'ship it' category as well. However, sounds like you're trying to pinch pennies. Every time I try to ship a vehicle, people tell me tales of yore about getting it from Australia to NYC for a chewed piece of bubble gum, a broken slinky and a 3 day old coke. Any time I've had a vehicle shipped or gotten quotes to ship it's $1.50-$2.00/mile.

buy a trailer and sell it when you get there.

This. Find a decent deal on a trailer, buy, use it, then sell at your destination.

You can get a 16' car hauler, brand new from T&W for like $1850. Surely you could buy that and sell after one use for enough to come close to breaking even.

When we do the Rubicon, I'm going to price shipping/flight vs tow. MUCH fewer vacation days burned, plus the lack of fatigue might cancel any additional cost

You just have to haul 15 gallons of gas up the mountain with you from Placerville.

Any time I've had a vehicle shipped or gotten quotes to ship it's $1.50-$2.00/mile.

Dude.
Flatbed truckload is $1.50/loaded mile. I can ship any vehicle on its own 53' flat bed for $1.50 mile with any major carrier in the US. Cheaper with any volume.

Dude.
Flatbed truckload is $1.50/loaded mile. I can ship any vehicle on its own 53' flat bed for $1.50 mile with any major carrier in the US. Cheaper with any volume.

Next time I need one shipped, I'll give you a holler. I shit you not, those are the rates I end up getting quoted. That's hot shot, u-ship, Hagerty recommendations, ebay recommendations...I can't seem to get under that $1.50/mile range. Lost out on a 59 F250 4x4 and a couple 79 350 super cab 4x4's the last couple years because shipping was going to be more than I paid for the truck.

I havent shipped a vehicle, but once ever.
We ship equipment all day that has to be craned nto and off the truck, strapped and tarped and weighs a whole lot more than a vehicle and those are the rates we pay.

Back