Florida Getaway

R Q

Wife and I are looking for a May getaway to Florida. She wants white beaches and somewhat touristy stuff and a nice place to stay. Evidently we will have to fly to maximize our time there, I hope I pass test...if there is one...
Initially I mentioned Daytona because we have been there on the Harley and we kind of know our way around and it could be okay.
Here's what we are looking for; White beaches, blue water, a cool botanical garden, some local history like pirates and stuff, alligators, aquarium, awesome zoo, interesting stuff, etc.,
This will be a 5 day weekend. South Florida is ok, I'm okay with flying into south Florida and driving through the Keys.
Looking for nice hotels, nice Air BnB, cool places, NO BnB's!
I like the experience whatever it brings (as long as it's cool places), she likes to have an awesome experience planned...
What y'all got?

Last edited:
West coast Florida has some cool stuff. Not sure if it’s y’all’s thing but the Salvador Dali museum in St Pete is cool. Clearwater Fl is beautiful with lots to do. Wife and I are going to the Keys in a couple weeks.

^^^ I've been there back in the 90's, St Pete/Tampa area doe have some white sand. IIRC I think there is a black sandy beach nearby too. Salvador Dali was pretty cool museum. Was also a toppless beach. That is pretty touristy. :)

My family has a house 10 min from Clearwater. We never go to CW beach, way too crowded and touristy.

If you end up near there try Madeira beach and some of the other smaller beaches nearby.

St Pete is cool as mentioned above. It holds the record for most sunny days in a row!

I gotta call my parents anyway, they have been going there for 50+ years and are actually just returning from there today, they know Everything about Fla.

l’ll come back with more info.

Destin and the surrounding area fits all your wants but getting there is a PITA....
For history hard to beat st augustine

Destin was going to be my suggestion. My inlaws used to snowbird down there. Really nice beaches/water. Allegiant has direct flights out of Asheville.....but none available until May. We flew in to Pensacola a few times, so if you'll be renting a car when you're there, that's always an option.

^^^ I've been there back in the 90's, St Pete/Tampa area doe have some white sand. IIRC I think there is a black sandy beach nearby too. Salvador Dali was pretty cool museum. Was also a toppless beach. That is pretty touristy. :)

I have not been over there in many years but thought I'd throw it out there. I need to put a post up here about my trip. FB netted no suggestions from friends I know have been to the Keys.....

We went to Destin a few years back and ended up spending more time at Miramar beach. I have been itching to get back to Florida, but the drive is what turns me away from going anytime soon, I really want to visit the keys, but I LOATHE flying.

For the Beach, I'd go Melbourne down to Vero on the East Coast, or Head over to Naples, Captiva area. You'll have less tourist and quieter beaches in those areas. Melbourne to Vero is fairly quiet, Naples is quiet because most of the beaches area is Private, as in there are only about 2 hotels on the beach. Capitva is nice, but busier.

Gardens, You won't beat Bok tower, and you best let me know if you make it there as my office is about 15 minutes away, and everyone seems to be blown away at a behind the scenes tour ;).

Zoo and Aquarium, head over to Tampa to Lowry Park and Tampa Aquarium. Alligators? any puddle, Ditch, creek, river or lake, but there are plenty of Gator farms and Airboat rides.

The Keys are pretty and they have the Blue Water you're looking for. but don't forget just how far that is. People often don't take into account just how far down and out the Keys are. :D

We went to Destin a few years back and ended up spending more time at Miramar beach. I have been itching to get back to Florida, but the drive is what turns me away from going anytime soon, I really want to visit the keys, but I LOATHE flying.
Its a ridiculously quick flight, I went the a few years ago out of Charlotte.

It's about a half day's drive from Miami Beach to KW. Fucking amazing drive, though.
Last February it took us just under 4 hours to drive from south beach to Key West. We did leave early and lucked out on hardly any traffic. Definitely the most scenic drive in Florida though.

For the Beach, I'd go Melbourne down to Vero on the East Coast, or Head over to Naples, Captiva area. You'll have less tourist and quieter beaches in those areas. Melbourne to Vero is fairly quiet, Naples is quiet because most of the beaches area is Private, as in there are only about 2 hotels on the beach. Capitva is nice, but busier.

Gardens, You won't beat Bok tower, and you best let me know if you make it there as my office is about 15 minutes away, and everyone seems to be blown away at a behind the scenes tour ;).

Zoo and Aquarium, head over to Tampa to Lowry Park and Tampa Aquarium. Alligators? any puddle, Ditch, creek, river or lake, but there are plenty of Gator farms and Airboat rides.

The Keys are pretty and they have the Blue Water you're looking for. but don't forget just how far that is. People often don't take into account just how far down and out the Keys are. :D
Funny you mention Vero. Parents live there. I spent a lot of time as a teenager, 16+, cruising the beaches from Melbourne to Vero. You like to fish hit up the Sebastian inlet. You end up on in that area there is the UDT Seal Museum in Ft. Pierce on the ocean where the WW2 UDT's where trained. Very neat tiny museum. Last time I was there they were prepping the Capt Philips life boat for exhibit. I would recommend anyone that gets within a couple hours of ti go see it. It is usually staffed by at least one veteran.

Last February it took us just under 4 hours to drive from south beach to Key West. We did leave early and lucked out on hardly any traffic. Definitely the most scenic drive in Florida though.
Rode Down to Daytona on a CBR1100XX in 2008 & 2009 for bike week. The 2009 trip was I think the first week in March. And we included a ride down to the keys.

Left Daytona about 9am after some breakfast. Got to miami easily enough. But Miami to Homestead was horrible traffic. And temps were in the mid 80's

Homestead to Key Largo SUCKED as it was bumper to bumper and the bushes or Whatever the hell they are were 10ft high and NO air was getting to us.

From Key Largo to the 7 mile bridge it was decent. We crossed the 7 mile bridge and it went to bumper to bumper again. We didn't get to our hotel on key West till 9pm. Whole ride should have taken less than 7hrs :rolleyes:

the next day we got up and rode all over key west. Made a left out of the hotel looking for a good place for breakfast. Never having been to Key West, nor hearing a lot about it. Came to some tennis courts. Looked like 2 chicks playing tennis....but....got closer...and it wasn't :eek: A few feet later this REALLY SKINNY chick was in heals and like a fishnet dress. Thong and bikini top walking a chihuahua. Closer we got the skinnier she seemed. Like...6ft tall and MAYBE 80 pounds. Got right next to HER and it weren't no HER :eek:

Let's just say the next few hundred folks we observed were nothing at ALL what we had anticipated.

Then it occurred to us....we're 2 dudes riding sportbikes in shorts and wife beaters beside one another in Key west :lol:

nub.jpg
riding02.jpg

Ha, that reminds me of when I went to Key Weat with my wife 20 something years ago. She had way too much to drink and on our walk back to our room she stopped to tell the "ladies" outside the club how beautiful they were. She didn't believe me the next day when I showed her a brochure from the lobby with the people she was talking to.....
Same trip we learned she cannot ride mopeds. She wound up taking a turn way too wide and driving down the sidewalk. Fun trip.

Rode Down to Daytona on a CBR1100XX in 2008 & 2009 for bike week. The 2009 trip was I think the first week in March. And we included a ride down to the keys.

Left Daytona about 9am after some breakfast. Got to miami easily enough. But Miami to Homestead was horrible traffic. And temps were in the mid 80's

Homestead to Key Largo SUCKED as it was bumper to bumper and the bushes or Whatever the hell they are were 10ft high and NO air was getting to us.

From Key Largo to the 7 mile bridge it was decent. We crossed the 7 mile bridge and it went to bumper to bumper again. We didn't get to our hotel on key West till 9pm. Whole ride should have taken less than 7hrs :rolleyes:

the next day we got up and rode all over key west. Made a left out of the hotel looking for a good place for breakfast. Never having been to Key West, nor hearing a lot about it. Came to some tennis courts. Looked like 2 chicks playing tennis....but....got closer...and it wasn't :eek: A few feet later this REALLY SKINNY chick was in heals and like a fishnet dress. Thong and bikini top walking a chihuahua. Closer we got the skinnier she seemed. Like...6ft tall and MAYBE 80 pounds. Got right next to HER and it weren't no HER :eek:

Let's just say the next few hundred folks we observed were nothing at ALL what we had anticipated.

Then it occurred to us....we're 2 dudes riding sportbikes in shorts and wife beaters beside one another in Key west :lol:

View attachment 339616View attachment 339617
Yep you made a wrong turn on Duval street.

If we stay in St. Pete and want white sand and Gulf View room, where to stay? Trying not to break the bank.

Yeah that’s not where you want to be unless you’re after hookers and blow.

First time I was ever in Key West, I was ridiculously broke. Walked in to a tobacco shop looking for some decent cigars, too rich for my blood. I walk a block or two (apparently in the wrong direction), I’m in an area where chickens are running the street freely. There were ‘street vendors’...and I’m naively assuming it’s like NYC, where these carts are licensed and legit. These folks were obviously just offering value and the same products by not having a brick and mortar. Some lady starts saying something in broken English about hand rolled Honduran cigars...price was right, it was perfect. I immediately light up one of the cigars, and I’m living the life. Except...I don’t remember the next 24hrs...and to this day, I’m not sure how I got back to my bungalow with both kidneys.

If anyone want's to stay in a neat historic place on the east coast check out the Driftwood Inn in Vero Beach, FL. Ocean front hotel that dates back to the 1920's with a great restaurant/bar called Waldo's.

Back