FML mower engine

RenegadeT

no shirt,no shoes,no dice
Well this sucks. Was hoping changing head gasket would stop my husqvarna kawasaki v-twin from going thru oil like crazy, guess not. Looks like the wrist pin dropped and scored they cylinder. WTF, how does that happen?

20180223_220558.jpg

Well, the good news is the spring sales start in a couple weeks.
Which means either its a good time to buy a new one, or start scouting CL for folks selling their last-year model b/c they bought a new one.

Well this sucks. Was hoping changing head gasket would stop my husqvarna kawasaki v-twin from going thru oil like crazy, guess not. Looks like the wrist pin dropped and scored they cylinder. WTF, how does that happen?

View attachment 263526

Last year's models are on clearance at Lowe's.

Last edited:
I’m considering saving a cool grand by going one these routes...

708cc 22 HP V-Twin Riding Mower Engine - EPA

Briggs & Stratton Intek Vertical OHV Engine with Electric Start — 540cc, 1in. x 3 5/32in. Shaft, Model# 33R877-0003-G1 | Northern Tool + Equipment

I put replaced the deck a few years ago. With a new engine, this thing could be good as new.
Actually, I read a lot of reviews about newer hydrostatic transmissions in husqvarnas with problematic plastic components, that kind of scared me from something new.

I put replaced the deck a few years ago.

That changes the math a bit. When you first started talking about replacing the motor, my next thought was "the fucking deck is going to fall off next year".

Where did you get the deck? Have to order it through Husqvarna or Sears?

As a small engine tech, Id drop that briggs in there and run it another decade!

Isn't the frame of the mower cracked though? Plus you still need to replace the broken steering parts. Man, I don't know if it is worth bringing that thing back from the grave.

I'm going to be in the same boat here soon. I'm just waiting for mine to die. I can't believe it is still going. I bought it used in the fall of 2005. I thought that I killed in a year or two ago by running bad/old gas from my cab truck through it.

That changes the math a bit. When you first started talking about replacing the motor, my next thought was "the fucking deck is going to fall off next year".

Where did you get the deck? Have to order it through Husqvarna or Sears?

The deck already fell off, literally lol. One of the hanger brackets tore off. I was looking at welding it back to the deck, but there wasn't any meat on the stamped deck, all rusted out.
Replacement may have come from Sears, I can't remember (was not direct from Husqvarna though). I got the deck p/n from the owners manual/OEM literature, punched that in google, went thru the list of superceding p/n's and various websites to find the cheapest, had it shipped to my house. Should've ordered blade spindles at that point, but didn't realize until I tore the old deck apart that the self tapping steel screws would not come out of the aluminum spindles. that set me back an week or 2.

Isn't the frame of the mower cracked though? Plus you still need to replace the broken steering parts. Man, I don't know if it is worth bringing that thing back from the grave.

I'm going to be in the same boat here soon. I'm just waiting for mine to die. I can't believe it is still going. I bought it used in the fall of 2005. I thought that I killed in a year or two ago by running bad/old gas from my cab truck through it.

Sure there's a crack in the frame (right where the deck "trackbar" attaches), I might weld that up, or leave it as is. The extra flex is makes up for no suspension while crossing drainage ditches. Steering part was $40 IIRC, or carry on with booty-fab zipties.

Seems really low.
Um, yeah, now that I really think about. Figure 35 wks/yr at 1hr each is 350hrs/yr. 15 years puts me around 5250.

I dunno, maybe the 1/10th are really ones?
20180226_223733.jpg

my guess was pretty close, but still loses by the price is right rules.

I have one that's just starting it's third fourth season and has 300 hours on it. Never mowed a yard other than this one.

My guess is the hour meter rolled over once already. ;)

Or, more likely, it quit 12 years ago.

Edit: also, you're terrible at maths.

Edit: I'm also terrible at maths

Last edited:
Yeah, that's only 525 hours, so you're in the ballpark. For that much time, though, I'd be wary of putting a new power plant on a chassis that was degrading with the old engine. New problems may appear. $150-300 PTO clutch and internal issues with the transaxle are my biggest concerns. My John Deere customers are usually replacing their units between 400-800 hours, depending on the model. We also have some that are in love with spending money and resurrecting machines that should be retired.

Yeah, that's only 525 hours, so you're in the ballpark. For that much time, though, I'd be wary of putting a new power plant on a chassis that was degrading with the old engine. New problems may appear. $150-300 PTO clutch and internal issues with the transaxle are my biggest concerns. My John Deere customers are usually replacing their units between 400-800 hours, depending on the model. We also have some that are in love with spending money and resurrecting machines that should be retired.

Are you saying the JD owners are replacing the transaxles between 400-800 hours, or replacing the whole mower? How much does a replacement transaxle typically cost?

What lawn tractor in the 42"-48" size do feel represents the best value for the typical home owner?

Back