FML mower engine

I have one that's just starting it's third fourth season and has 300 hours on it. Never mowed a yard other than this one.

My guess is the hour meter rolled over once already. ;)

Or, more likely, it quit 12 years ago.

Edit: also, you're terrible at maths.

Edit: I'm also terrible at maths

You must have a lot of grass. How many hours does it take to mow your lawn?

You must have a lot of grass. How many hours does it take to mow your lawn?

Uh... a lot. It depends on what you're mowing. The front yard can be done easily in a couple of hours. To mow the entire property, all the edging, blowing, etc, takes the better part of a day, but we don't do that every time the yard gets mowed. That also doesn't count leaf cleanup and stuff like that, which the mower also does.

Uh... a lot. It depends on what you're mowing. The front yard can be done easily in a couple of hours. To mow the entire property, all the edging, blowing, etc, takes the better part of a day, but we don't do that every time the yard gets mowed. That also doesn't count leaf cleanup and stuff like that, which the mower also does.

Wow. Fuck all that. I use a shitty old Simplicty 12hp mower w/ a 44" deck and mow our 1/2 acre in a bit over an hour. Only takes that long b/c of the inner fence line and play equipment and odd shapes I have to work around. If I had to do much more than that every 10 days during the summer I'd go crazy (or give up and pay a guy).
Yeah trimming, leaf blowing, all the extra stuff might add an hour every 3rd time.
I've got better things to do, like not really fixing plumbing and pretending to think about working on a 4runner

Mine takes 3 hours or more depending how thick and tall it is. Once I get my driveway the way I want it, it'll cut an hour off that time.

Are you saying the JD owners are replacing the transaxles between 400-800 hours, or replacing the whole mower? How much does a replacement transaxle typically cost?

What lawn tractor in the 42"-48" size do feel represents the best value for the typical home owner?

They're replacing the whole unit. A replacement transaxle is between $300 and $1500, depending on the model.

I can park an 18ft flatbed trailer in my yard and forget that it's there.
yeah and that cuts down on how much grass you have to mow

Fml I wish I could mow in just few hours, I'm 9 hours total to mow and trim our 5.2 acres that's split in three diff lots!! Underground springs make my life hell all summer... I run a old 97 craftsman yts4000 with 48" deck bc a nice mower would be destroyed with all the rocks woods and shit I mow through... I am looking into a older JD X series 4x4 mower for cheap and gonna swap engines if it goes with hf 20hp predator for way cheaper than a 7k mower... If I was in your situation I'd see if the hf predator engines would work on ya mower they are Honda replicas with oil coolers I've seen 3 on bobcats as replacement engines... 5 yr warranty for cheap if it sputters once go get a new one!!?

Growing up, we had to mow almost 8 acres, every week. Quit yer complainin! Took most of saturday for two of us to knock it out. Then another 3 acres at the farm.

With a push mower too right? And the whole thing was uphill!
No lol. We had cheap riding mowers. Finally got some 60" zero turns. Now it's a cake walk.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Fml I wish I could mow in just few hours, I'm 9 hours total to mow and trim our 5.2 acres that's split in three diff lots!! Underground springs make my life hell all summer... I run a old 97 craftsman yts4000 with 48" deck bc a nice mower would be destroyed with all the rocks woods and shit I mow through... I am looking into a older JD X series 4x4 mower for cheap and gonna swap engines if it goes with hf 20hp predator for way cheaper than a 7k mower... If I was in your situation I'd see if the hf predator engines would work on ya mower they are Honda replicas with oil coolers I've seen 3 on bobcats as replacement engines... 5 yr warranty for cheap if it sputters once go get a new one!!?

Fook that! 9 hours is crazy talk! I would be planting a forest, LOL!

When we bought our lot and had our house built, we told the builder to leave as many trees as possible (lot was fully wooded). It takes me about an hour just to mow.

Fook that! 9 hours is crazy talk! I would be planting a forest, LOL!

When we bought our lot and had our house built, we told the builder to leave as many trees as possible (lot was fully wooded). It takes me about an hour just to mow.
Lol yeah I've been here 5 years and hate summer just bc of mowing! haha we're selling the one lot it's 1.5 acre so that'll knock off some time but I'm about to clear some of the wooded land behind our house for a animal enclosure for the woman's zoo she's got in my house...

Growing up, we had to mow almost 8 acres, every week. Quit yer complainin! Took most of saturday for two of us to knock it out. Then another 3 acres at the farm.
I'm only 33 so I can't really say back in the day... lol but at 8-9 yrs old my ma had me push mowing our old house which was 3 acre and i swear it was uphill both ways or at that age with no self propelled stuff it seemed like it was anyway...

So I successfully fired up the replacement Briggs 19hp engine from Northern, it all seemed good.

I didn't look at my watch, but doing some quick math (I double checked because I tend to fook the decimal point up o_O), the hourmeter showed I mowed for 1.4hrs.

I believe I have around an acre of grass, on a hill, spread into an odd wedge shape due to being in a cul de sac. I tend to mow at least 2 different patterns, my attempt at faux-striping, plus I feel varying patterns may prevent working in any some tracks in the steeper areas.
I was hoping when I had an 18x36 inground pool installed in the backyard, it would cut down mowing times. The reality ended up being a little more mowing because I simply removed a nice big area I could knock out quickly, now I have to go around and it interrupts the only big straight area I had.

I was hoping when I had an 18x36 inground pool installed in the backyard, it would cut down mowing times. The reality ended up being a little more mowing because I simply removed a nice big area I could knock out quickly, now I have to go around and it interrupts the only big straight area I had.
Yep. We have a 10x10 platform for a shed, and fenced in sub-area for the dog, and a bunch swings, playset, etc in the back yard. Having all that crap in the way seems to really add on time, turning around to so much, adding edges etc.

Luckily my son is old enough now to mow the area inside the fence w/ the push mower while I do the rest, that cuts down on my time.

So I successfully fired up the replacement Briggs 19hp engine from Northern, it all seemed good.

I didn't look at my watch, but doing some quick math (I double checked because I tend to fook the decimal point up o_O), the hourmeter showed I mowed for 1.4hrs.

That’s not out of line, I just mowed yesterday and noticed my x300 has 200 hours now, it’s pretty much 8 years old. I figure I mow about a half acre each time , but I don’t do any of the fancy faux striping stuff ...bang it out in about a hour.
So Is it back in running shape @RenegadeT ?

Oh yeah, I mowed with the new engine Thursday. It was much better than the smoke fest I was experiencing with the grooved cylinder. I dunno if I need to adjust the carb, but it didn’t seem to like WOT. It would stumble until I throttled it back a bit. Near the end of my hour, it felt like I was able to bump the throttle slightly higher before it stumbled. Maybe just an engine break-in deal? Before I set off mowing, I ran the engine for a 10-15 minutes with no load, let it run at half throttle for a couple mins, then as close to WOT as possible, then down a bit, etc in no particular order.

I need to look deeper into it and get a better understanding of what goes on in that area.
this sounds like preparation for Prom night:D

Back