Ford 6.0... the saga continues.

Im fixing what I have this time.I think Im gonna be in about 4500 when its all said/done.After doing some research and looking around it seems a stuck inj washing down a cyl is not uncommon for a 6.0 esp the 03/04"s.I tried to do my homework before buying one because I knew they had issues but I missed the stuck inj issue some where.Theres a 05 6 speed dually on MP right now that needs a engine due to a stuck inj and it only has 67K on it.

Dang, that's not bad. I picked up a 05 F550 in wilmington for parts that needed an engine for $3500, and in hindsight, it was probably due to a stuck injector as well, lol. Ran but ran like shit and smoked bad even at idle. Sold the engine as a core for I think a grand, lol.

When I went through my engine I sent my injectors off to be rebuilt with new spool valves and whatnot by warren diesel. They made my tunes as well.

Don't feel too bad, the common rail Cummins engines from the same era as your 6.0 have some issues as well. I bought an 03 Ram 3500 that had #6 rod hanging out the driver side of the block. When I was looking for a replacement engine, I found out that while it wasn't a common issue, it does happen with those Cummins engines. Apparently the rear cylinder doesn't get enough coolant flow and it runs hotter. In it's defense, I could tell the truck had been a rode hard, put away wet work truck for all of it's 200+k miles before I ended up with it.

Don't feel too bad, the common rail Cummins engines from the same era as your 6.0 have some issues as well. I bought an 03 Ram 3500 that had #6 rod hanging out the driver side of the block. When I was looking for a replacement engine, I found out that while it wasn't a common issue, it does happen with those Cummins engines. Apparently the rear cylinder doesn't get enough coolant flow and it runs hotter. In it's defense, I could tell the truck had been a rode hard, put away wet work truck for all of it's 200+k miles before I ended up with it.
when you get right down to it they all have issues.Granted some are worse than others but they all have em.I live a couple of miles from a shop that only works on diesel trucks and you can go by there about any time and every brand will be represented.My nephew just spent $4K on a trans for his 17 2500.

That and the KDP (on earlier engines) are the achilles heel of Cummins. Even the older engines can have issues with wiping the rings on the back cylinder or two due to the lack of coolant flow.

I've seen guys use the rear freeze plug on the block as a coolant bypass to get more coolant to flow out of the back of the block as an attempted workaround. Example:

That and the KDP (on earlier engines) are the achilles heel of Cummins. Even the older engines can have issues with wiping the rings on the back cylinder or two due to the lack of coolant flow.

I've seen guys use the rear freeze plug on the block as a coolant bypass to get more coolant to flow out of the back of the block as an attempted workaround. Example:
Yet esp if its a comp truck that somebody else is paying for they catch hell their whole life.

They got the cab off and the heads pulled yesterday and it’s worse than we thought. Something has went thru the engine, knocked a hole in one of the intake valves. The valve seat was beat to shit and there was a hole in one of the intake valves. You could shine a light in to the chamber thru the hole in the valve.I assume the hole in the intake valve caused the over fueling and the melted piston.Piston is killed, cylinder is trash and so is the head.
EB98DC4B-8E36-4894-891B-E29189E0A62C.jpeg

Just to update this a lil.The only time I think about it is when its tore up.Wound up putting a long block in it and replaced one of the previously new stand pipe/dummy plug w another new one because I didnt like the way it looked.Considering it would be hard to change on the road and it was less than a $100 @ Ford for a new one it just made sense to change it.Got the truck back the first of Nov about 8K lighter.Aside form yet another stuck caliper it has done good until last weekend.We were in Liberty NC at a sale w our enclosed trailer and I went to move the truck and it wouldnt start.HPOP was only building about 200 psi hot and it needs at least 500 to start.Gave it a shot of ether and was able to get it started and moved.It done that once before when we were in PA and after having it hauled back to our hotel and cooled off all night it started the next morning.So I've been down this road before.Truck sat all evening Thurs and all day Fri.Fri evening it fired right up.Went to Siler City to eat some supper and left the truck running in the parking lot.Got back to the trailer and shut it off and wouldnt restart.Truck started up on Sat afternoon and ran perfect all the way home.shut it off when I got home and wouldnt restart.Taking it back to the shop tommorow to have it checked out.We're pretty sure its the O ring's on one of the stand pipes/dummy plug.....again.

Last edited:
That's bad luck. I put new stand pipes and dummy plugs in my truck when I did the top end/new heads 5 years ago. Knock on wood, no issues (with the high pressure oil system) since.

I'd have run it til it quit the first time and then Cummins swapped it. Have I mentioned that anywhere yet?

I know a handful of people that are like no, no, it'll be good once I do "X", but then "X" happens and "Y" shows up with it and they're kinda in the same boat what with needing a new motor and all that.

They're pretty great trucks. Solid, good drivetrain, comfortable, old enough that you don't realllllllly worry about a dent or a scratch, plenty of parts availability, and they don't look bad. The motor just sucks balls.

Anyway, carry on!

When the motor lets go, Cummins swap it. That's about all those trucks are missing is a solid engine.

I had, in fact, mentioned that somewhere already :D

This thread just summarized the first 6 minutes of this video :laughing:

yes and no.My problem now is shitty replacement parts.That dude could break an anvil.

I'd have run it til it quit the first time and then Cummins swapped it. Have I mentioned that anywhere yet?

I know a handful of people that are like no, no, it'll be good once I do "X", but then "X" happens and "Y" shows up with it and they're kinda in the same boat what with needing a new motor and all that.

They're pretty great trucks. Solid, good drivetrain, comfortable, old enough that you don't realllllllly worry about a dent or a scratch, plenty of parts availability, and they don't look bad. The motor just sucks balls.

Anyway, carry on!
yeah maybe in passing:D.You would think at some point you would have everything that could go wrong fixed. Apparently stand pipe o ring quality has become a big issue,even on factory parts.The 6.0 fb groups routinely talk about it.Took it to the shop and he had one there w the same problem that he had put stand pipes on just four months ago.

Still not sure why International and/or Ford thought that high pressure oil was a good thing to use for fuel injection...

Still not sure why International and/or Ford thought that high pressure oil was a good thing to use for fuel injection...
Well, they thought people would keep it cleaned and changed regularly...

It works quite well for timing advance on most cars, but I agree, fuel injection is a bit too consistent and demanding. If the timing advance fails, the car still runs fine. If the fuel injection fails, you fail.

it worked great for years in the 7.3's

There's more good examples of HEUI engines than bad. One thing you can pretty much always count on the fact you'll never run it out of oil. I know for a fact 7.3s will not run if they're a gallon low.

I know it worked well in the 7.3s along with plenty of other International and Cat engines. To be fair, literally everything else was likely machined better than 6.0s were too...and probably had more than 4 head bolts per cylinder...and cast iron heads.

The one thing I DO like is the ability to run alternative fuels through them. Common rail stuff needs to be super clean and not too viscous.

They do work the ever loving shit out of the motor oil though, so it's definitely more important to keep that 4 gallons changed out frequently, unless you're @rockcity , from what I hear :D

My 7.3 acted the same way when I had a broken injector base or housing, not sure what is is called, but so much oil poured out the injector body that it wouldn’t build enough pressure to fire with hot oil. I left that truck running more than once at local restaurants.

Eventually it started doing it again, I pulled the valve covers and had no visible leaks. I re-oringed all injectors and it started and ran great till I sent it down the road.

Got the truck back today and it had blew an o ring on the driveside front stand pipe.Ill have to look for the receipt but im pretty sure I put that one in,in Feb/Mar of 21.$350 'ater
and its back on the road.

There's more good examples of HEUI engines than bad. One thing you can pretty much always count on the fact you'll never run it out of oil. I know for a fact 7.3s will not run if they're a gallon low.
Yeah you'll never blow one up due to lack of oil.I know a guy who spent a small fortune trying to get a 7.3 to start/run.A few $1000 dollars later he refilled the hpop res and added a gallon of oil and it started.

Back