Ford 6.2, Dodge 6.4, GM 6.0 - Any experience?

2.0L Turbo

The 2017 and newer 6.2s will make the best power for the engines you listed. And, the dodge 6.4 requires you run 93 octane. You can run E85 in the 6.2 if you want.

IIRC the new 6.2s are something like 400 hp/430 ft lbs or something. They’re good motors - I’ve hauled stuff to Canada, Florida, Rhode Island with my old one.

I sold my 2015 F-250 and bought a Crewmax Tundra though. It’s hard to beat a Toyota.

Both the 15 model & my 16 model 6.2, requires 91 octane/premium! My 6.2 is listed as ecotech, but does not have the Yellow fuel cap, indicating E85. [ per my owners manual] I run regular, except when towing, where I use premium. 420 HP / 460 Toq.

Is that a Chevy? I was talking about the Ford motor used in the 3/4+ ton trucks

I'm still looking. Have an appointment Wednesday evening to check out a 2012 F250 4x4 crew cab with the 6.2, this will be my first chance to drive a newer Super Duty. Otherwise I've not found anything else that I like enough to go check out.

Randy Marion Ford has new 2017 F250 XL 4x4 crew cab trucks for right around $30-32k but they only have short beds and I really want to stick with the long bed.

Lake Norman Dodge has a 2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4x4 crew cab long bed with under 40k miles for $32k. If it was closer to $27-28k I'd probably go check it out. Plus it's gray which is my preferred color.

No deals found on a Chevy yet.

Well I went to lake Norman Dodge last Sunday to check out the 2016 Tradesman they had. Pretty nice truck overall, liked the way it drove. They aren't interested in dealing though, $500 off the internet price was all they would move on it. $33,4xx out the door was just too much in my opinion, I can get a new 2018 for not a whole lot more. After the experience I had with a couple members of their management team, I doubt I'd ever buy anything from them anyway.

Still haven't had a chance to test drive a Ford 6.2 yet. Haven't been able to find a used one I like yet that I can afford and don't want to waste a salesman's time test driving a new one.

Last edited:
I'm still looking. Have an appointment Wednesday evening to check out a 2012 F250 4x4 crew cab with the 6.2, this will be my first chance to drive a newer Super Duty. Otherwise I've not found anything else that I like enough to go check out.

Randy Marion Ford has new 2017 F250 XL 4x4 crew cab trucks for right around $30-32k but they only have short beds and I really want to stick with the long bed.

Just had a buddy pick up one of Randy Marion's leftover '17 XL trucks. I want to say he was just shy of 32k OTD and they did him fairly good on his trade in.

I tried to buy one of those trucks at Randy Marion. Online they show them for about 30,000, but by the time they tacked on all there misc crap the price was ~35,000. I ended up buying a truck from grindstaff Ford in TN with better options for about the same money and it wasn't white. I've been to several dealers over the course of my search and was not impressed at all with Randy Marion, make sure and look at all they are trying to charge you for.

Just had a buddy pick up one of Randy Marion's leftover '17 XL trucks. I want to say he was just shy of 32k OTD and they did him fairly good on his trade in.

I tried to buy one of those trucks at Randy Marion. Online they show them for about 30,000, but by the time they tacked on all there misc crap the price was ~35,000. I ended up buying a truck from grindstaff Ford in TN with better options for about the same money and it wasn't white. I've been to several dealers over the course of my search and was not impressed at all with Randy Marion, make sure and look at all they are trying to charge you for.

I didn't go to Randy Marion because they did not have any long beds left in the 2017 models.

@Pless what kind of options did your truck have and what was your OTD price? I'm getting tempted to try and get a new one but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a white truck.

I didn't go to Randy Marion because they did not have any long beds left in the 2017 models.

@Pless what kind of options did your truck have and what was your OTD price? I'm getting tempted to try and get a new one but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a white truck.

The truck I bought, or the one at Randy Marion?

Now that I am on a keyboard I will give a full explanation of my experience at Randy Marion. I saw the trucks online for 29K-30K, so I called to make sure they had one and drove the two hours down there. I had to hunt down a salesman, when I finally found one he said the online pricing was only if you qualified for every possible rebate (first responder, farm bureau, etc), so I asked what the out the door price was. He starts getting my info and says that I had already contacted another salesman and needed to talk to him. I had put my info in the get an online price, but never got a response. So we go hunt down the other salesman and he has no clue what is going on after waiting on them to stand and shoot the breeze for ~30 mins they finally get an OTD price of about 35K. They wanted to charge almost 800 dollars to add a protective coating to the entire truck that was not optional and I can't remember what all the other stuff was they were adding. All in all they seemed to have very deceptive pricing, and didn't seem to care if I was there or not.

I'd go with a chevy with the 6.2.

Now that I am on a keyboard I will give a full explanation of my experience at Randy Marion. I saw the trucks online for 29K-30K, so I called to make sure they had one and drove the two hours down there. I had to hunt down a salesman, when I finally found one he said the online pricing was only if you qualified for every possible rebate (first responder, farm bureau, etc), so I asked what the out the door price was. He starts getting my info and says that I had already contacted another salesman and needed to talk to him. I had put my info in the get an online price, but never got a response. So we go hunt down the other salesman and he has no clue what is going on after waiting on them to stand and shoot the breeze for ~30 mins they finally get an OTD price of about 35K. They wanted to charge almost 800 dollars to add a protective coating to the entire truck that was not optional and I can't remember what all the other stuff was they were adding. All in all they seemed to have very deceptive pricing, and didn't seem to care if I was there or not.
Sounds like the typical dealer BS. Tell you a great price, then add on all the profit fees, and suddenly the price isn't so great. But everybody's buddy just regurgitates the "vehicle price" to their friends and conveniently leaves out the other BS.

This is exactly what happened to a buddy of mine, exactly. Got a price online, called and set up appt to look at it and test drive it. This was on a 10k used car. Got there and after waiting and waiting, OTD price was almost 4k more than advertised price with all the fees. Same $800 coating "we can't take it off, because it has already been applied to the vehicle". And it isn't even a ceramic coating, it's just a fancy wax.

We do paint work for their accessories department painting flares, door handles, lift parts, bumpers etc. But I would never recommend their sales or service department to anyone. One of our customers took his camaro there (because he bought it from them) to have a brake noise checked. One rear pad was worn to the backing pad. For some reason, they felt the need to remove the bad pad from the caliper (you could see it clear as day through the wheel). They gave customer a quote, (rear pads and rotors) he called me to get a price, mine was over $200 less at same book times with top grade parts store parts at reasonable/normal mark up. He said no thanks to the dealer, they made him sign a waiver saying the vehicle was unsafe to drive and not their responsibility, OK understandable... THEY NEVER REINSTALLED THE WORN BRAKE BACKING PAD! They made him sign the waiver and let him drive out of there with the worn pad sitting in the passenger floor board. Thankfully my shop is only about 3 miles away, but he pulled in with the caliper itself wearing away at the rotor and the piston about to pop out from over extension.

Same BS I ran into at Rick Hendrick City Chevrolet! They keep you going round after round, until your So worn out, you Don't pay attention to What your signing, Just to get the Hell out of there. Two days later I figured out on the finance papers I had signed for $6000 of Extras, financed for 5 years. I Did however make them Delete those Extras. Tried to order a New truck from them & got so much More BS, I bought my truck from Ben Mynat, of Concord. They gave me a Proper trade, & had my New Ordered truck in 5 weeks! Such simple folks to work with! You couldn't Pay me to set foot back on City Chevrolet's lot!:flipoff:

Same BS I ran into at Rick Hendrick City Chevrolet! They keep you going round after round, until your So worn out, you Don't pay attention to What your signing, Just to get the Hell out of there. Two days later I figured out on the finance papers I had signed for $6000 of Extras, financed for 5 years. I Did however make them Delete those Extras. Tried to order a New truck from them & got so much More BS, I bought my truck from Ben Mynat, of Concord. They gave me a Proper trade, & had my New Ordered truck in 5 weeks! Such simple folks to work with! You couldn't Pay me to set foot back on City Chevrolet's lot!:flipoff:

I won't buy anything from any Hendrick dealer, I've been to a few and each one was dishonest and a pain to work with. I've also added Lake Norman Dodge to the "won't do business with" list.

What year did Chevy switchover from the 6.0/4spd to 6.0/6spd?

I worked as a tech at a Chevy dealership and for 08-Up 2500s they got the 6 spd auto. I remember thinking how they were hotrods then.

I traded in a 2011 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 and a 6 speed, and I will say I was impressed with how well it towed. I have pulled my crawler (garden variety toyota on 37's) and a tractor with it. The extra HP and the 6 speed transmission make all the difference. Unfortunately GM thought it would be a good idea to coat the frames of the trucks in those years with some kind of wax instead of paint, you literally can scrape it off with your fingernail to bare metal. So the whole frame was getting rusty very quickly, maybe the truck was up north for a while or at the coast. But it didn't give me the warm fuzzies the the truck was that rusty at 7 years old.

I wanted to go back to a Ford and I looked for a long time for the right used truck. I looked at several half tons, three quarters and one tons but I never could find one that I felt the price was right on or wasn't wore slap out. So I started looking at new trucks, the base model F-250's can be had for about the same money as a F-150 and I wanted the aluminum body, and a longer bed so that's what lead me to buying new.

I guess the moral of my long yarn, is I feel a half ton with the 6 speed transmission is more than adequate for most towing needs (Unless you have a really heavy rig, equipment, etc.). If I could have found a half ton for the right price I wouldn't have hesitated to buy another one.

I towed for years with an F350 with a 460 and 5 speed.

my buddy has a 6.4 hemi in a 3500 c&c dually. I was impressed with the load of firewood we had in the dump bend and dump trailer.....it ran no different loaded/unloaded.

The newer gm is 6.0 only in 2500/3500. People keep saying go GM 6.2? the one nice thing is the newer GM gas 2500/3500 trucks are all 4.10, unlike dodge and ford that you have to option the 4.10 or 4.30 gearing(which is hard to find). The toyota tundras with the tow package come 4.30. IMO having owned both diesels and gas tow rigs....I wouldnt go under 4.10 in a gas rig.

my buddy has a 6.4 hemi in a 3500 c&c dually. I was impressed with the load of firewood we had in the dump bend and dump trailer.....it ran no different loaded/unloaded.

The newer gm is 6.0 only in 2500/3500. People keep saying go GM 6.2? the one nice thing is the newer GM gas 2500/3500 trucks are all 4.10, unlike dodge and ford that you have to option the 4.10 or 4.30 gearing(which is hard to find). The toyota tundras with the tow package come 4.30. IMO having owned both diesels and gas tow rigs....I wouldnt go under 4.10 in a gas rig.

GM 6.2 is available in 1500. You can get up to 10/11k towing in a 1500 with the 5.3/6.2 with the nht max trailering package. The nht package is not available with the z71 package.

Search is over, bought a 2016 GMC 3500HD 4x4 crew cab dually last night. 6.0/6L90, already has a Magnaflow catback, K&N FIPK and a couple other upgrades. Need to get a B&W hitch for it but I'll probably pull my Wildcat to Uwharrie with it on Sunday.

Thanks to everyone for all the input, suggestions and real-world info about these trucks.

Back