Four doors, six 52's, and 855 cubes. Monster tow rig build.

As pimp as this thing should be it'll probably have a proximity key with push button start.:huggy:

So what are the plans for this thing?? Keep it and haul??? Or finish and sell??
Btw dumb question but is the a pick of the finished truck you did for your sister years back? I neve got to see it..

What picture? My avatar picture is my Tacoma, the only thing I have ever worked on for my sister is a 36' ford schoolbus (there is a build thread on here as well). She ran out of money so now it is just sitting serving as a mouse motel down in my aunt's barn.

I will be keeping this truck, my plans are to convert it into a wrecker truck of sorts down the road sometime (boom, rear winch, and hydraulic outriggers). I already have all the stuff to do it, but waiting till after I get the cab on. Below is a picture of what was planned before I decided to do the crew cab. It will still be similar, but I will be using a smaller box than what is pictured.

unnamed.jpg

Wow!..... I'm speechless with the amount of cool here!

Plans changed slightly. Instead of tearing apart my M920, I decided to just install this cab on the M919 I plan to sell, that way I can get it back to running/driving condition and get it out of my parents driveway (and hopefully sell it). I just picked up another Freightliner cab last week, and bought another I have not picked up yet, so I will use those to crew cab and install on my M920 at a later date.

As you can see in the pictures above, I will need to trim the front fenders to better match up to the radius of the tires. The hood has to sit pretty high just to clear the radiator, I figured it would be best to mount the hood first and then match the cab height up to it, since the height of the radiator means I may have to raise the whole body up higher for clearance. It's already 12' tall, what's another few inches?

Rivets are all done except for a few pop rivets where I can get to the backside to install the 'noisy' rivets... GLAD that is over, I dread having to do all this over but it has been a fun project so far. These model trucks were spec'd with mounts for a roof rack, I used those factory mounts and put some uni-strut up there, it REALLY stiffened up the roof. I also ran an interior brace from left to right that is slightly in front of the rear doors. It will double as an overhead console area for rear passengers. There are bolts run down through the uni-strut that attach to that cross bar assembly. I was able to climb up on the roof and sit in the center, before all the bracing the roof was pretty flimsy feeling, you could see it flex when slamming a door shut, now it is very rigid.

Overall, it's not perfect, but when it is 11'+ in the air I don't think anyone will notice.

I HOPE to have it ready to take to the Winston-Salem Air Show in September. We will see!

alh3_googleusercontent_com_wRxexbealNOhK_VxIu95D53tJyQDuDOTzMhXo_cSR1E_w1340_h754_no_.jpg

3/4" thick (maybe 1"?) neoprene-ish insulation on the floor, with black carpet on top. Still have a little to finish up tomorrow, but as of now three seats are mounted in it. This insulation should make things nice and quiet in the cab. I'll be putting some in the walls and ceiling as well.

alh3_googleusercontent_com_fCISig7ybL1X2lBIIOKSdeNfgxDbYERbPx_sKMpgTTw_w1340_h754_no_.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_LNSZsyo9fUrGeMLPZvjk8EiM5_Ot4W7Acl8lEROF_FA_w1340_h754_no_.jpg

Corbin helping out:

alh3_googleusercontent_com__0LcIXbXma7M0aMfoYPvLi057A7HS1hLPlAOyd37wCg_w1340_h754_no_.jpg

Doing this in my dad's garage, somehow I talked him into letting me do it there. Once the time comes to sit it on the truck that will be an outside job though. Ughh....

lol man does he ever get to have his garage or driveway to his self ever??? My only question is are you actually going to finish this......or something :)

lol man does he ever get to have his garage or driveway to his self ever??? My only question is are you actually going to finish this......or something :)

This is a actually the first time I have ever used the garage (for longer than a day) to work on anything of mine... He has plenty of driveway though, not all of us have wives with an inflated government salary to buy us everything while we sit at home with no job :)

Lol really........I know of two times I've been there with your rhino crap all in his garage for wayyyy more than a day lol. You crazy if you think my wife buys me any toys lol, haven't figured out yet how you could be a bum for so long...........lol

Thing of beauty! I will have some paint touch-up to do, but for the most part this is what it will look like. That is the wonderful thing about military trucks, even when building a nice one spray paint does just fine. I painted the bare aluminum with epoxy primer first though.

alh3_googleusercontent_com_pdQSAY90_QzDHVg3_tP5QO0raOqZ80aKl5IOgY0Jxes_w1242_h754_no_.jpg

Back