"Free Willie": A camper build

Nice work man.

Been down for the last couple weeks due to an unfortunate mishap with a modified Barbie Jeep but thanks to @grandlift i was able to finish up the framing details today. The best work of the day came with the front nose.
IMAG1806.jpg

IMAG1808.jpg

Last edited:
Old, he is getting old..

Scott (grandlift) and I worked some more today. I had planned to leave the back alone and just fix a crack in the fiberglass above the door but like everything else it just wasn't going to be good enough. We decided to go ahead and pull the door and I cut out the fiberglass section above the door. Instead of going strait up to the roof line there is a slight overhang that wasn't built very well, so out it came and new wood was installed to make the top overhang solid. I will replace that section with the same metal as the roof and then install the door back.

IMAG1810.jpg
IMAG1813.jpg
IMAG1815.jpg
IMAG1818.jpg
IMAG1817.jpg

Got home from Nashville and went straight out to do a little work. Got half of the plywood on the roof and will try to finish that part today. A friend is supposed to come by this weekend to help install the metal.
IMAG1831.jpg
IMAG1834.jpg
IMAG1836.jpg

This is what a $500 piece of aluminum looks like. 103"x18'. Can't wait to let the strap loose on this!
IMAG1838.jpg

Finally got the rest of the roof done today and will install the metal tomorrow. This thing is starting to look like a camper again. Next step will be to tackle a couple cracks in the fiberglass and paint along with a few hundred other small things.
IMAG1849.jpg

Well, today went from good to bad in a matter of minutes. Got the roof insulated and taped off, unrolled the metal only to discover a very deep scratch that scored the aluminum to the point its junk. I'll have to order another piece tomorrow.
IMAG1853.jpg
IMAG1855.jpg

Couldn't you have just flipped the aliminum over or does it have a difference between sides?

I have an axle to sell you, it's brand new. but the gears are broke. I am sure you don't mind full price...

As Jeff said, I just paid $500 for a piece of aluminium, its going to be right. Besides, it was scored so bad it was showing on the other side.

Picked up the new metal last week and had @grandlift help me put it on. We got 2 sides mostly done before we had to stop due to those pesky family obligations.
IMAG1864.jpg
IMAG1865.jpg

The lumber is just there to help hold the roof flat.
IMAG1875.jpg

Scott did a really nice job working the corner or the metal with a 3" hand brake and a couple of hammers.
IMAG1871.jpg

It's so sad that in the beginning I tried so hard to keep this project square but in the end realize that it is an impossible task....literally impossible

Had a severe bee problem that slowed progress for the last couple weekends but finally got back to work. Scott and I finished the top metal work, now I jave to get busy and build the bed back to tie the metal and fiberglass together.
IMAG1940.jpg
IMAG1943.jpg

The weather was nice this weekend so I got a day of work in. The bed portion has been missing for a while, so that was the area of focus. I got the job stated by installing a 2x6 frame that will give plenty of support for the wife and i and create some under bed storage. The bottom was covered
IMG_20150118_171052718.jpg
IMG_20150118_171122982.jpg
IMG_20150118_175725823.jpg
IMG_20150118_175758390.jpg
in 1/8" plywood and the metal roof will attach to that under the cab. Once again, a heavy helping of glue and screws were used.

Back