Freedom of Speech

rcalexander105

JV Wheeler
Somewhat of a rant, but I'm damn sure not a lawyer and curious.

I was on my way to lunch today when I walked outside my building (One West Fourth in d/t Winston for reference) and there was a man standing on the corner with a very boisterous voice who was essentially claiming our country was founded on Christ and our country needs to get back to its foundations and start loving each other as Christ loves us. As I walk by I give the guy a big thumbs up.

Fast forward about 30 minutes as I'm on the way back and there are 2 police cars there with him now at the corner. By the time I made it back to my building, the guy was walking away. So I followed him and asked if they made him stop. He told me yes b/c they were getting noise complaints (this is lunch time on a Tuesday, again, in the middle of d/t Winston). So I turned around and went and asked they cops why he had to stop b/c it seems to me he's well within his right of freedom of speech and they (while being total dick heads) tell me he was being a disturbance to residence in the area. I said okay, but this is a public city street and, at said corner, there's 3 office buildings (the OWF building, the RJR and the Winston Tower) and 1 residential building (the old courthouse) and oh btw didn't they do the same thing when they took the confederate statue down literally on the other side of this residential building?

Anyways, so now I'm curious...where does my freedom of speech end and your right to peaceful enjoyment of your dwelling begin? Simple answer, I know, is when I become a nuisance but isn't that subjective as hell?? I'm pretty frustrated that he was made leave considering all the damn protests that have gone on over the past few months.

It would depend on city/county ordinances if I'm not mistaken. I think in the County you're pretty good to go with being obnoxious until 9 or 10, and then you can't raise a ruckus to disturb others until 6 or 7 But the city you're dealing with a whole different set of rules, that are slighted towards "interpretation" more than anything.

We had some corner preachers years ago right there at the end of Trade street. Until some Muslims made the claim of "hate speech". I think the mayor passed an ordinance against street preaching after that.

@tknopp @hondatech81 @K9guy these guys actually would know the answers.

He should have started setting shit on fire, busting windows, and stealing everything he can get his hands on. That seems to be acceptable these days. The world is so backwards. Seems like everything that should be right is now wrong, and everything that should be wrong is now right.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

He should have started setting shit on fire, busting windows, and stealing everything he can get his hands on. That seems to be acceptable these days. The world is so backwards. Seems like everything that should be right is now wrong, and everything that should be wrong is now right.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That's essentially my frustration. Seemed like such a double-standard. I am most certainly not trying to make this a race issue or anything else. Just simply trying to understand wtf is going on nowadays.

I'm just glad I didn't have to post bail for you. I've got enough for Kairos this week, and that's IT :huggy:
Lol, I could tell the conversation was going nowhere fast so I just walked away saying "this is such bullshit" in my head.

Charlotte has a noise ordinance. It also has a permit requirement for amplified noise. Nothing wrong with preaching your cause. It’s when you are yelling and screaming it does it become an issue if there are complaints.
See...this is it here. I told the officer that there's a guy in CLT (you may know who I'm talking about...pic below) who did the same thing and nobody gave him grief bc he was out on the streets day-in and day-out proclaiming his message peacefully. All the officer had to say about that was "well this isn't CLT".

"JESUS SAVES!!!"

upload_2020-7-14_13-43-33.png

Simple answer, I know, is when I become a nuisance but isn't that subjective as hell?? I'm pretty frustrated that he was made leave considering all the damn protests that have gone on over the past few months.

I think that's pretty much the point. Subjective based on who knows who, what political picture is being painted, etc. I liken it to my HOA, my neighbors have campers in violation of the HOA, I have vehicles that are in violation of the HOA, other neighbors have their own violations. However, some how, we're all living in peace and harmony and know the HOA is really only there to keep the riff raff out. But...the second that house of cards gets disturbed...either a new neighbor moving in that doesn't know how things are or someone that doesn't like the new yard decoration...everyone is gonna be fucked and narced on. The HOA guidelines will only be worth the paper it's written on for wiping your ass with, because a lack of enforcement has already been established...so then it'll come down to who has deeper pockets, a better attorney or more connections.

. The HOA guidelines will only be worth the paper it's written on for wiping your ass with, because a lack of enforcement has already been established...so then it'll come down to who has deeper pockets, a better attorney or more connections.

Kind of off subject, But HOA guidelines, DO NOT over power your legal rights. and was pushed to a federal level several years ago about someones right to hunt their own property in a HOA.

Kind of off subject, But HOA guidelines, DO NOT over power your legal rights. and was pushed to a federal level several years ago about someones right to hunt their own property in a HOA.

I don't disagree...but that's where deeper pockets and more connections come in to play...my attorney is better than yours, and I play golf with the city council, I'll tie you up in court until you fold. On top of that, I've owned houses in neighborhoods that brag about how many court cases they've won surrounding HOA violations. (Looking at Nags Head Village and Grace Ridge Community)

my attorney is better than yours, and I play golf with the city council, I'll tie you up in court until you fold

Yeah? Well I have a @jeepinmatt

Hope your clubs are flame retardant

I don't disagree...but that's where deeper pockets and more connections come in to play...my attorney is better than yours, and I play golf with the city council, I'll tie you up in court until you fold. On top of that, I've owned houses in neighborhoods that brag about how many court cases they've won surrounding HOA violations. (Looking at Nags Head Village and Grace Ridge Community)
MOST attorneys, judges will not take on a fight that has already been taken to a state or federal level and was proven the HOA has no rights. but yeah the HOA my parents live in is pretty much getting abolished because they are hand picking rules to enforce and making new ones without the general consent or meeting to discuss. my dad being the old HOA president knows the ins and outs and has some of the original founding paperwork that the new president said didn't exist that shows that new rules were added and old ones taken out with out a vote and all that.

MOST attorneys, judges will not take on a fight that has already been taken to a state or federal level and was proven the HOA has no rights. but yeah the HOA my parents live in is pretty much getting abolished because they are hand picking rules to enforce and making new ones without the general consent or meeting to discuss. my dad being the old HOA president knows the ins and outs and has some of the original founding paperwork that the new president said didn't exist that shows that new rules were added and old ones taken out with out a vote and all that.

Agreed...and that kinda brings us full circle to my point. Most HOA’s are super simple to break and get away with it. Until someone flexes on you. Then it can become a pain in the dick even if you’re right. OP doesn’t want to be silenced, but if it inconveniences someone, be prepared for a battle...that battle in this case was police officers, well...how far do you want to take being right. Is it worth a night in jail to find out you didn’t have some obscure permit? Is it worth fighting that the obscure permit is unconstitutional? Perhaps all bad examples, but where ever there is opposition, you need to determine how far you’re going to take or if you even can.

White people, Republicans have zero fucking rights. If he was standing there, screaming that we should all suck bidens dick, he'd still be standing there screaming it. It's a big fucking crock of shit, double standards.

People can protest, rip down statues, loot every goddamn store within a mile and that's perfectly fucking fine.

Back