getting out of wheeling?

Kudos to JeeperCreature for bringing up a point that has driven me since day 1!

I've had several jeeps (during H.S.), a Baja Bug, a Nissan 4x4 (non-hardbody), and a '6x jeepster that rekindled my love of the trails... after the "Croc-O-$#!7" jeepster developed a devastating bearing knock, I went cheap! Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have a brand new rig with heat :D , cruise, etc, BUT the family budget would not support it. Plus, in my mind, buying a $15K rig, spending another $15+K in mods, and proceeding to destroy it (either through mods or actual wheeling)... all the while making $300+/month payments isn't very smart!

I sold the Croc for $150, retaining the TH400/D20
Bought the Moss for $300, and spent about $1000 (engine, small parts, & fuel to Clinton, TN for 6 months) to get it rolling...
Rims were free (with original BFGs), as are MANY of the parts & pcs... someone else's throw aways
To date, I probably have about $3k-$4k in it... I don't mistreat it, but don't give it quarter either! It's done URE forward & back, Windrocks, Tellico, CrackerNeck, & Callalantee, without much issue... granted it isn't setup to do Lower2/insane type trails, but whoopy! That's what?, 5-10% of these trail systems.... that leaves 90% easily accessible for a tightwad budget/non-buggy w Rocks&44"s.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it doesn't have to cost you $50K to have a capable rig and most importantly, HAVE FUN! Might not have a rig to wheel, but get out altogether? Never! :beer:

I guess what I'm trying to say is it doesn't have to cost you $50K to have a capable rig and most importantly, HAVE FUN!
No, it doesn't. I got that Jimmy for $1600, and including that engine (once it's all paid off) I guess I'll have about another $1800 or so in it. That's still less than any other Blazer I'd been looking at at the time I bought it.

On the other hand... not everyone has an extra $50K around waiting to get used for major repairs to what's also the DD. I know I don't. But I've been to at least part of URE twice now, and plan to go back as often as I can afford it.

:driver: Just frakkin' WHEEL IT!

Speaking of repairs... if you bash up your DD on the trails... will your insurance pay for fixing it?

I also have full coverage, but I'm not a liar. When i break something on the trails, I PAY FOR IT! Insurance is for highway use guys....come on. Why do you think rates are so high?

Josh

I have been wheeling since I was 16. First Jeep was a 48 Willys. No mods, back then just replacing what was worn out was a major obstacle. Too many Jeeps to mention since the first one, but I have what I have since 1990. Started out bone stock. All the beginning mods were made to address first one breakage, and then another. I met a few people out on the trail. At the mud bogs, and so on. My wheeling family grew. My knowledge, and experience grew. So, to come to the present. Most of my friends are wheeling related. I am in a club, CTB. Got into that so I could wheel more. More mods come because of more time, and the know how. I get a lot of pleasure from about every aspect of it all. Wrenching, Welding, fabbing, scavenging for parts, trail fixes, be it mine or others. Camaraderie. Campfire BS, wheeling discussions, All of it. I learned a lot, from simple experience, and lack of funds. I have made many friends. I met my wife 5 years ago. She had never really wheeled, as we know it, and immediately she loved it. She encourages the mod or that one. Has helped a bunch in all of it. She buys me a diff cover for B-day or what ever, instead of pants, shirt sweater or what ever. We have accumulated a lot of "stuff" that is wheeling related. We schedule things around wheeling. So I would say we are here to stay, unless health or something major interferes. Everyone needs a hobby, this is ours. There are so many levels of wheeling, so anyone with 4WD can enjoy it. I don't bash a guys rig, I don't bash what type wheeling he does(or she). I myself like it all, but I do hate the clean up from mud. I couldn't imagine not doing something everyday 4 wheel related. As simple as reading this forum, to building, or repairing something.
So, I say don't sell unless you want to get out of the entire loop. it's in your blood. Do it when you can. once it's built, and paid for, it's a lot easier. Your logistics aren't the best, but who's is. All in planning. Best of luck which ever way you decide.

I've been wheeling since I was 16, I've never wheeled a rig that wasn't (for the most part) stock. The only vehicle I wheeled that had a locker was my '98 tacoma TRD. Everything else was open diff, no lift and at's. Been over tons of stuff that most people won't try. The point to it all is to wheel it! Make it (half way) reliable and wheel it. I don't have the extra money to put even $10k into a rig total. I save for months and months to get an extra $500 to put only towards my truck. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to spend all my money on it, but gotta eat frist. If you're thinking of getting out, just sell the unfinished rig and get a $1200 beater truck and go wheel it. You'll be right back in it.

HardTaco said:
I question this every morning, right about the time I hit my head on the interior roll cage, on the way to work or school. Then, i address it once again when i realize all the money i have left to spend on my truck to make it perfectly streetable(in my own mind). At this point in my life I can't even afford a trip to URE hardly, so spending all the money on my sas and getting my truck right seems like its been poop'd away. Even with all of this floating through my head, once I hit the trail it seems like everything has been worth it. So right now I'm just trying to tough it out until college is done and I can afford do to some really cool things with the rig. Just tough it out man, times will get better......(at least thats what i keep telling myself!)
Josh

Josh, feel free to come by and hit the side yard whenever you want.. that's close enough for ya.. :D

HardTaco said:
I also have full coverage, but I'm not a liar. When i break something on the trails, I PAY FOR IT! Insurance is for highway use guys....come on. Why do you think rates are so high?
Josh

who said anything about being a liar. I did not lie I can claim exactly what happened. That is why it is called full coverage. You get what you pay for. I pay a lot in insurance because of all the speeding tickets. I made a choice to get unlimited coverage incase something does happen, like a rollover or flop

today i went up to the shop and made a list of what all i have left to finish. i also worked on the bus some. i decided i have to much stuff to stop. the buggy lack about 4k from being done so thats not as bad as i thought. and the bus only lacks a/c, but that should be done one night this week. so maybe i wont get out yet. i think once the rig is wheelable i will consider it less.

For me 4 Wheeling has aways been a way to get to some place that most others can't. I originaly built the J10 for Hunting, Fishing, and camping. I would most of the time go alone so I could not afford to get stuck. That was when I lived in Califonia and there were actually places to go.
Since I moved here there is really no place to wheel to go hunting and fishing that is not on private land. The J10 was too nice to tear up on the trail even though I did some damage. That is why I'm and building a trial rig. I could never give it up it is in my blood.

jeepercreature said:
who said anything about being a liar. I did not lie I can claim exactly what happened. That is why it is called full coverage. You get what you pay for. I pay a lot in insurance because of all the speeding tickets. I made a choice to get unlimited coverage incase something does happen, like a rollover or flop

So when you claim trail damage to your insurance company, you tell them it happened on the trail, off the highway, while you are off-roading in the vehicle?. I have an extremely hard time believing that the insurance company goes for that. If they do, tell me the name, address and phone number of your company, cause I'm signing up. My insurance company would never go for that, and since it is something that I am asking for (damage) while out wheeling the vehicle, i do not claim, because it push's everyone else's rates sky high.

Josh

HardTaco said:
So when you claim trail damage to your insurance company, you tell them it happened on the trail, off the highway, while you are off-roading in the vehicle?. I have an extremely hard time believing that the insurance company goes for that. If they do, tell me the name, address and phone number of your company, cause I'm signing up. My insurance company would never go for that, and since it is something that I am asking for (damage) while out wheeling the vehicle, i do not claim, because it push's everyone else's rates sky high.
Josh

YEP! Dude, it is based on your coverage. You dont have to tell them where it comes from. I have had one claim agaist my jeep for a broken windsheild and that happened when I was going mudding in Jacksonville. A rock hit my shit headon, I took it to Progressive insurance in Jacksonville and they cut me a check right there for 259. it was 359 to replace it. I have a 100 dollar deductable so that was that. I pay a lot of insurance and have full coverage. You name it I got it. I have a very low deductable because, like I said, If I am going to pay 450 a month for insurance I am going to just add everything I can get the lowest deductable and claim everything. My claim has nothing to do with your insurance or the cost going up. That is a myth. Just like oil companies telling you price of gas are going up 20 cents a month because it is summer. when every year we have had summer and it never went up like this. Or the hurricane did it when we have had them in the past and no one raised prices to three dollars. Large companies will raise prices and increase there profits simply because they know the american people will stil play. PERIOD

EDIT: I also can say that I know for a fact that they will cover my vehicle if it rolls down a hill because I told them I only use the jeep for stuff like that. One other thing you may not believe is that they will tow my vehicle from Tellico to New Bern for free too if I were to breakdown and have a problem. I purchased unlimited towing miles too. It is a lot of money but better than getting a tow rig and a trailer?

jeepercreature said:
If I am going to pay 450 a month for insurance I am going to just add everything I can get the lowest deductable and claim everything. My claim has nothing to do with your insurance or the cost going up. That is a myth.

A comprehensive claim by itself does not increase your premium. BUT, something around 3 claims in 3 years (depends on the company, but that's an average) WILL move you to a higher risk.. "Too many instances of being in the wrong place at the wrong time" BTDT...

Oh, and for everyone pissed because insurance is so high on a Jeep- Thank this guy.

Insurance rates usually depend on "experience" . If you experience a lot of carnage, then you will pay more. Add up what you pay for insurance vs what you have to spend out over a period of time. I think it will be higher to pay for all that experience. Just my .02

jeepercreature said:
YEP! Dude, it is based on your coverage. You dont have to tell them where it comes from. I have had one claim agaist my jeep for a broken windsheild and that happened when I was going mudding in Jacksonville. A rock hit my shit headon, I took it to Progressive insurance in Jacksonville and they cut me a check right there for 259. it was 359 to replace it. I have a 100 dollar deductable so that was that. I pay a lot of insurance and have full coverage. You name it I got it. I have a very low deductable because, like I said, If I am going to pay 450 a month for insurance I am going to just add everything I can get the lowest deductable and claim everything. My claim has nothing to do with your insurance or the cost going up. That is a myth. Just like oil companies telling you price of gas are going up 20 cents a month because it is summer. when every year we have had summer and it never went up like this. Or the hurricane did it when we have had them in the past and no one raised prices to three dollars. Large companies will raise prices and increase there profits simply because they know the american people will stil play. PERIOD
EDIT: I also can say that I know for a fact that they will cover my vehicle if it rolls down a hill because I told them I only use the jeep for stuff like that. One other thing you may not believe is that they will tow my vehicle from Tellico to New Bern for free too if I were to breakdown and have a problem. I purchased unlimited towing miles too. It is a lot of money but better than getting a tow rig and a trailer?
:lol: :lol:5400 a year for a 2000 jeep::lol: im sorry for you!!!!!!!!!!And windshields are a given, they have to replace windsheild , law thing,

jeepercreature said:
If I am going to pay 450 a month for insurance I am going to just add everything I can get the lowest deductable and claim everything. My claim has nothing to do with your insurance or the cost going up.

One other thing you may not believe is that they will tow my vehicle from Tellico to New Bern for free too if I were to breakdown and have a problem. I purchased unlimited towing miles too. It is a lot of money but better than getting a tow rig and a trailer?

For $450 a month I would say you could own a pretty decent used tow rig and trailer. I am astounded that someone would pay that much for car insurance. This isn't a criticism of you because we all have our own decisions to make for ourselves and our own way of doing it. Your monthly payment is pretty close to what I pay for full coverage on both of our cars for 6 months.

HALES988 said:
And windshields are a given, they have to replace windsheild , law thing,
Maybe in TN and SC, but what about NC? Definately not a givin in CO. You gotta buy glass coverage for that.

Rich said:
A comprehensive claim by itself does not increase your premium. BUT, something around 3 claims in 3 years (depends on the company, but that's an average) WILL move you to a higher risk.. "Too many instances of being in the wrong place at the wrong time" BTDT...
Oh, and for everyone pissed because insurance is so high on a Jeep- Thank this guy.

LOLM YES, BLAIM ME. LOL:flipoff2:

Back