gif of the day

Haligan tool for the win!

It is a long time, but we have to know more than one way to skin a cat. Attacking the hinges doesn't speed up the process with a drop bar in place. The focus is the drop bar brackets first whether we have a saw or not.

giphy-downsized.gif

It is a long time, but we have to know more than one way to skin a cat. Attacking the hinges doesn't speed up the process with a drop bar in place. The focus is the drop bar brackets first whether we have a saw or not.

I see your point, but it just seems like hitting hinges that are secured with at most 3/4" long sheet metal screws would be quicker than 2" long 3/8" thick carriage bolts. In this scenario, the firemen are training and know that the drop bar isn't secured in place. Many times, in inner cities, a drop bar will be secured in place with a padlock to keep someone from slipping a jimmy bar inside and pushing the drop bar out of the brackets. If the drop bar is secured in place, even with a pin, all of the carriage bolts will probably have to be dismantled before the door will breach.

The guy swinging the ax worried me the whole time. The hinges side would still yield the same results. The spreader bar would impede the door. Focusing on two hinges and the bar would take longer. The door won't push in due to the jambs.
Quicky saw or a Battery powered spreader tool for the win. Multitool the opening insert spreader and invade.

The guy swinging the ax worried me the whole time. The hinges side would still yield the same results. The spreader bar would impede the door. Focusing on two hinges and the bar would take longer. The door won't push in due to the jambs.
Quicky saw or a Battery powered spreader tool for the win. Multitool the opening insert spreader and invade.

Actually a small can of liquid nitrogen to spray on the hinges and shatter them with the ax would be the easy win. Probably be able to do it solo.

Hey, a big can and walk right in.

Actually a small can of liquid nitrogen to spray on the hinges and shatter them with the ax would be the easy win. Probably be able to do it solo.
This sounds great but clearly you have never tried to freeze metal with a small can of nitrogen. ;-()

I say, I trust the guys who do this kind of thing professionally to have figure d out what works well :D

This sounds great but clearly you have never tried to freeze metal with a small can of nitrogen. ;-()

I say, I trust the guys who do this kind of thing professionally to have figure d out what works well :D

You are right there. Just remember the "theory" from High School Physics class. I remember we dipped a banana in it and could pound a nail in with the banana, but when you dipped the hammer in, the head shattered when we hit a nail. But that's about all the experience I have. I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

You are right there. Just remember the "theory" from High School Physics class. I remember we dipped a banana in it and could pound a nail in with the banana, but when you dipped the hammer in, the head shattered when we hit a nail. But that's about all the experience I have. I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.
You can freeze biological tissue like bananas (or fingers!) easily b/c of the water in them, freezes at a relatively high temperature and doesn't take much to freeze.
It worked w/ the hammer b/c you were able to submerse it, and probably left for several seconds. Actually making most metals brittle requires getting them very cold.
The problem w/ using it in a spray to do something big/external is that it boils off very fast and doesn't really coat the object in the liquid N b/c it is evaporating so fast in the atmosphere. I'm sure it's possible but it'd be a lot of work.

(we've played with this at work before...)

You can freeze biological tissue like bananas (or fingers!) easily b/c of the water in them, freezes at a relatively high temperature and doesn't take much to freeze.
It worked w/ the hammer b/c you were able to submerse it, and probably left for several seconds. Actually making most metals brittle requires getting them very cold.
The problem w/ using it in a spray to do something big/external is that it boils off very fast and doesn't really coat the object in the liquid N b/c it is evaporating so fast in the atmosphere. I'm sure it's possible but it'd be a lot of work.

(we've played with this at work before...)
Man that terminator fella sure fell apart. Next firetrucks carrying liquid nitrogen! It would be fun and terribly impractical. Working in and on fire industry stuff for 15 years I've seen worst waste of tax payer dollars. Like 20k spent on paint stripes and real Gold Leaf because of an "UPDATE". Add another 10K and you can have an extremely purty LED upgrade. We will call it a REFURB then.

Man that terminator fella sure fell apart. Next firetrucks carrying liquid nitrogen! It would be fun and terribly impractical. Working in and on fire industry stuff for 15 years I've seen worst waste of tax payer dollars. Like 20k spent on paint stripes and real Gold Leaf because of an "UPDATE". Add another 10K and you can have an extremely purty LED upgrade. We will call it a REFURB then.
The LED refurb is the bomb. Light up the world!

Back