gm ecotec 5.3 vs 6.2

rabb11d

I have the itch to get another truck. Currently have a 2011 tundra crewmax, but I'm thinking of trading. Currently looking a GMC 1500. Anyone have any feed back on these two engine options or experience with 2014 or newer chevy\gmc?

From stats and online reviews I like the 6.2.

I have a 2017 Silverado with the 5.3 and I love it. It's plenty fast and pulls good. The 6.2/8speed would def be worth looking at!

That would be pretty awesome...maybe after the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty is up

Boom. who needs compression anyway

Is the 6.2 direct injection?

Ahh...I wouldn't get either one of them then unless GM has come up with a way to keep the intake valves clean...and I don't think they have.

Haven't heard anything on valves! When I went to test drive a new truck, I first drove the 6.2. I'd been driving a 5.7 for 12 years. I felt like I got out of a go cart, & sat in a Dragster! OMG! Then I drove the same base truck, with the 5.3. NO! Although 50% stronger than the 5.7, it Felt like the 5.7, after getting out of the 6.2. First I bought a year end 2015, but decided I just didn't like the Truck itself. I did tow my CJ on my trailer, to Windrock, Totally amazed. And I Still deny it, but as I passed 3 other Clubs members, They swear by GPS, I was going Faster than my speedometer says. I had to order the 2016 with 6.2, to get the features I wanted. I'm Pleased with this truck! Have towed 4 times with it. Generally cc set on 70, or close to the speed limit, tow/haul mode; maintains speed up & down hill, Very little shifting, & getting Respectable fuel mileage! If I'd had no choice, I'd be happy with the 5.3, since I drove 5.7 for so long. But I feel like if you drive the 6.2, your Hooked! It's also my daily driver now, & just putting around, to work, & whatever, I average 18mpg. 21-23, interstate, empty.

Direct injection doesn't wash the air/fuel mixture over the intake valve...so all of the oil that comes through the PCV system collects and gums up on the valve.

Direct injection doesn't wash the air/fuel mixture over the intake valve...so all of the oil that comes through the PCV system collects and gums up on the valve.

94k on my '14 Ecotec3 5.3 and it still has all the power and pulled a 21mpg tank not too long ago. They get crappier mileage in the winter on the crap gas, always better in the summer.

Haven't heard anything on valves! When I went to test drive a new truck, I first drove the 6.2. I'd been driving a 5.7 for 12 years. I felt like I got out of a go cart, & sat in a Dragster! OMG! Then I drove the same base truck, with the 5.3. NO! Although 50% stronger than the 5.7, it Felt like the 5.7, after getting out of the 6.2.

The axle gears make a huge difference with these trucks and I would hazard a guess what you drove were the two extremes since the 6.2 is not a world stronger than the 5.3. Same engine with 3.08s versus the 3.42s is like night and day. I have the 3.42s in mine, chops about 2-3 mpg on average but bumps the tow rating up significantly.

The 6.2 trucks [420HP/460 Tor] come with 3.23 gears. The only other gear is 3.42 with the Max Tow Package [which I didn't want]. Not much difference, but the 6.2 has the 8sp auto.
5.3s are [355HP / 383 Tor] Seems a good difference to me. Too much debate as to weather the 5.3 has the 6sp, or 8sp. Also uncertain of the axle ratio.

Axle ratio is irrelevant if the transmissions are different. The 8 speed has a super deep first and a double OD, so that makes a big difference all by itself.

I'm with @Croatan_Kid though. I wouldn't own a DI motor from Ford or GM right now. Too many problems with the intake clogging up.

Just add meth injection :D

That would be pretty awesome...maybe after the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty is up

Went to 60,000 in 2016, that's why I jumped on a 2015 end of the year.

Axle ratio is irrelevant if the transmissions are different. The 8 speed has a super deep first and a double OD, so that makes a big difference all by itself.

6l80 5th and 6th gears are overdrive, 4th is slightly underdrive, no1:1. Not sure how many of the 8 speed is overdriven. But, the 8 speed is available with the 5.3 now.

I have a 15 5.3 3.43 crew cab and love it. Drive it every day 50/50 highway and city and average 18+. Have hit 24 on unloaded highway drives, but it likes 60-65 much better than 75. Maybe the 8 speed would help there.

I've towed with a Vortec 5.7, a '04 5.3, an LB7, and this 5.3. Of course it's no duramax, but theres no comparison with the 5.7 or old 5.3.

True, but know that the 6L85E in mine has has a 4:1 first and double-OD. The 8L90E has a ~4.5:1 first.

Ehh. My 2017 has a 10 year 100K mile powertrain warranty through GM. It depends on what dealer you go through.

Hand calculated?

Calculator calculated. I don't have that many fingers.

The 24+ was based on the computer readout of best 50 mile average, but yes the 18 ish average is true. My commute is 10 mile 55mph backroad, 14 miles interstate, 10 miles of 45mph stop and go.

a crewmax tundra will be tuff for any gas truck to beat imo

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I agree, I have few complaints about mine. I'm just bored. Need to just shut up and keep driving it.

Thanks for all the info on the ecotec's guys.

I'm almost thinking a 2010 to 2014 duramax denali, but financing something with 85k on it for 6 years just doesn't seem like a good idea...

Back