gm ecotec 5.3 vs 6.2

I'm good with my old LB7 Duramax. Way cheaper than a new truck of any kind!

I wouldn't get the 6.2. Not that I think that they are bad engines but there has to be a reason that with all the hp wars gmc has decided not to put it in the 2500/3500 series trucks. I believe it has to do with duty cycle. If I were looking at new trucks I'd get 2500. The 6.0 is a great engine and the beefier drive trane all together would make the decision for me.

I wouldn't get the 6.2. Not that I think that they are bad engines but there has to be a reason that with all the hp wars gmc has decided not to put it in the 2500/3500 series trucks. I believe it has to do with duty cycle. If I were looking at new trucks I'd get 2500. The 6.0 is a great engine and the beefier drive trane all together would make the decision for me.
May be something to the duty cycle. Even though the 6.2 has greater hp & torq, it's a Higher revving engine, & all aluminium. It's still somewhat a limited production engine, therefor the number of trucks & options are limited. The 6.0 in the heavier trucks, has the cast iron block, + you get more diff. options. That being said, the 6.2 gets way better fuel mileage even while making more power.

I don't think most people expect very good gas mileage out of a 3/4 ton truck with a 6.0+ motor anyway...

I'd venture to say the biggest reason they didn't put the 6.2 in a 3/4 ton is because they don't have to meet emissions standards like a 1/2 ton and the 6.2 is direct injection with cylinder shut down...they wouldn't need that in a heavier truck that most people would use to tow with.

There's also reliability to take in to account. The 6.0 has proven to be a trooper over the years...so they probably figured they shouldn't screw with it.

have you looked at the f150 with the 5.0? they have pretty good numbers and won the fast lane truck ike gauntlet which had the 5.3 and 6.2 Chevy in it as well.

they may not have put it in there because the majority of buyers for the gas 3/4-1ton truck is for fleet trucks ie they don't care about giving it the most power.

Back