Goats

I have Chickens, and have pondered the idea of rabbits, for meat. They are the other meat recommended by The American heart association. Have also thought about goats too. But for weed control. I place out the road from me used to have a slew of the mini's. Many times I have pulled off the side of the road just to watch them play. They are like a bunch of children! Actually, very relaxing to watch.
@jeconn has a couple mini donkey's.

Where could a feller find some miniature fainting goats up in the mountains?
I use to have a couple dozen.... Idk if the farmer I sold them to still has them. A couple of mine would get excited and faint. I mean they see you coming with grain they falling over and rolling down the hill

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, I had to go down to Animal Control today and bail HotRod out of the clink. He got out of the fence yesterday and must have been raising hell in the neighborhood behind the house. Only God can judge him now.

yup a 4 foot fence will keep in most goats but if they figure out how to jump
it ya might as well get rid of the offender.
this close>< to finishing up fencing in 8+ acers on my property. all sheep and goat fence
4 foot high pulled tight with nice corners.
17 nannys and 4 billys (in seprate pastures).

had a fainting goat once -- she fainted behind the UPS truck and he ran her over.
said he didn't see or hear anything. found her laying in the driveway with dual wheel
marks on her--broke her pelvis and had a long recovery but she lived a good long
life.

i'm 59 and have had goats as long as i can remember.

01e0ca276286fdf9fd0c6def90e9d6d320a3dfe98e.jpg
IMG_1505.JPG

Here's a pic of our 5. They became famous when this photo hit news 13. The bottom is our 150lb. lap goat! As far as fencing goes, you couldn't run these guys off!

So my daughter has been wanting a goat for...a while.

Wife has bad pet dander allergies that have banished my beloved labs to outside dogs (it was a close call between moving the dogs out side and divorce...the dogs were more appreciative but the divorce ultimately cost too much) so inside is probably a no go.

I have some acreage. I have a specific 1/3-1/2 acre I would like some help controlling brush in. Seem like a fit.

Something like one of those dwarf pygmys...assuming they stay outside?
Do they need a goat house?

Or just a water bucket? Will they sustain on grass and vegetation or do I need to suppliment with feed?

Ive had a pygmy goat before. It lived outside. it will eat anything and really doesn't need supplemental food other than some hay. Don't feed it oats or very rich food or it will get plugged up. Mine lived with my dogs for a while in the dog fence, then I divided it because they ran him. I could let him out and he would hang around. If you give them a house they'll stand on top of it. If you get a male, have him fixed asap so he don't piss all over his goatee and try to be a baddass!

So my daughter has been wanting a goat for...a while.

Wife has bad pet dander allergies that have banished my beloved labs to outside dogs (it was a close call between moving the dogs out side and divorce...the dogs were more appreciative but the divorce ultimately cost too much) so inside is probably a no go.

I have some acreage. I have a specific 1/3-1/2 acre I would like some help controlling brush in. Seem like a fit.

Something like one of those dwarf pygmys...assuming they stay outside?
Do they need a goat house?

Or just a water bucket? Will they sustain on grass and vegetation or do I need to suppliment with feed?

Goats make great pets but if you get one you have to get two. They are weird like that. They don't do well by themselves. As far as shelter goes, an igloo dog house works just fine as long as it keeps them dry. They can share it. We supplement with feed twice a week and have hay available 24/7. Worm them every 6 to 8 months and trim their hooves once in a while and they are good to go. If you have some rocks on your property, they will school you on the best lines and it will keep their hooves trimmed too.

The girlfriend wants some nigerian dwarf goats when we return from Harlan in July. If any of you have some babies around then let me know. She is specific about what she wants too. She doesn't want anything pull size. Oh yea and girls.....

Back