Going to Harlan...lets get this planned!

ord.sgt.26NC

Gott mit uns!
ok,new thread on this trip. We have a cabin rented in Harlan County Campground and it's Pappy's coal miner's cabin. Going to be arriving sunday, june 30th and leaving on the 4th. Numbers have dwindled down to just 2 rigs.
Who else is going to be around that weekend? Drunktaco and I have been talking back and forth.

on the Putney end, what are the perameters to gaining access to the park. Where do you pay to play at that end? Got maps that are coded to severity of trails?

To get to trails from Putney side you just exit the back of the campground and up into the park.

Yes I believe the trails are marked in difficulty on the map, I’ll see if I can find my map this weekend.

You would still need to ride over to evarts side entrance to pay for pass and get map. It’s somewhat easy ride from putney but may be 15-20 mins.

I'll be there on the 2nd. Maps and passes are available at the Putney side. The map is decent but old. They really need to update it. Don't break it before I get there! It will be me and my son in his MJ and I have friends coming up from Florida on the 2nd. I think there are about 5 or 6 of them. NAXJA Crawl, our big SEC event, is 5th - 7th that week.

Putney has maps and permits and stuff. They usually close at 5 but they'll hang around if they know you're coming and running late or whatever.

Cabins are nice, showers and shitters are nice and clean. The road up to the main trails/park can be rough but it's not too bad. You are there to wheel right?

I'm going to try and make it for a few days, I'll be coming back from the beach on the 30th but I'll have a few more days off before i have to go back to work. I figure, if I make it, I'll unload everything, repack, and load up the 4Runner and head up and raise hell/praise Dale.

@ord.sgt.26NC
I'll get a map your way if you want. Just let me know.

I'm gonna try and get there a little early on Sunday. Have distant relatives to see the next county up that I haven't seen since 2005. Hopefully,they will let me drop the rig and trailer at the cabin . One day, maybe Monday, I want to hit that 30 some mile scenic drive. I could use that as the drive to blacky and back too so haven't thought too much about it yet.

Might do the little Shepard trail and my family visiting on Sunday if I can get there early enough. Is Kentucky an open carry state? What about the riding trails or state forests?

Might do the little Shepard trail and my family visiting on Sunday if I can get there early enough. Is Kentucky an open carry state? What about the riding trails or state forests?
Not sure about open carry but the park is no weapons allowed. I've seen Harlan County Sheriffs patrolling on 4 wheelers out there.

ok,commin up on one week .Everything on my end is on go. Drunktaco,how you lookin on getting out for a little while? Ghost,what are yall's ETAs on the second? Anybody else in NC4x4 land going to be out in the wilds of Kentucky at that time?

@ord.sgt.26NC

I'll be coming back from the beach on the 29th. I've got a birthday bonfire that night, if I can make it, I'll be coming up the morning of Sunday 30th and rolling out the evening of Tuesday the 2nd.

@ord.sgt.26NC

That's life man.

The ol'lady's grandad turns 84 so we gotta be there for that. I figure wheel Sunday thru Tuesday and make it back for work Wednesday.

Also anyone good with chickens in this thread?

I know how to cook em and eat em...
is your plan to camp or are you close enough to commute from the house and back?

It'll be camping. It's a 2 hr-ish drive for me. I'll have to check on availability for spots and stuff and see what's open.

Worse case, if someone is cool with it, I'll park my trailer and or rig at their cabin or lot and just get a hotel in Harlan.

Me and my junk will be there, should be arriving Wednesday night and staying at North Evarts

I'll be rolling in Tuesday afternoon evening. Assuming the son come in his 88 MJ he will be driving it. First major trip in it. Fingers crossed for no issues.....

Back