Harbor Freight Jackstands....AGAIN!

Tommy_T

So the latest e-mail from Eric Smidt apologizes for recalling the replacement units of the jackstands that were just recalled a few months ago.

I took my 4 to the local HF today. They have now pulled all jackstands from the shelves, so no replacements are available. I didn't want store credit and requested the cash refund as described in the e-mail. I was handed a HF gift card which I refused, explaining that I want cash. It went downhill from there. Long story short, after management involvement I got the cash and left.

Now to buy some decent jackstands....LoL

js-details

Well damn. I guess I'll go check my sketchy jack stands....again....lol

Honestly, this is why I usually leave my jack underneath, tight...but not really weight bearing. Jack stands. Then I also have a chunk of granite and a weird blob of brick/concrete that I usually keep right beside my head or most vulnerable body part under a vehicle.

This is why I got mine from parts stores

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Let’s be honest. How hard could it possibly be to install some pins in the HF stands?

Also I bought the biggest jack stands they sold. I doubt my xj even gets close to a 3:1 safety factor. I’m drinking right now so my thoughts could be cloudy :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s be honest. How hard could it possibly be to install some pins in the HF stands?

Also I bought the biggest jack stands they sold. I doubt my xj even gets close to a 3:1 safety factor. I’m drinking right now so my thoughts could be cloudy :D

Problem is the side weld seam splitting. You could weld a strap/reinforcement on the bottom on the welded side.

Cool deal. After I return all of my HF jackstands for cash refunds, I only need $177 more to buy a pair of these.

And my last trip to the ER was about 4800 out of pocket. Last funeral I paid for was 9200. You pick.

Last edited:
Good point. I ordered these. Who knows if they are any better than HF but from their website at least it looks like they are made in USA. (I couldn't find anything that said made in China, but I didn't find made in USA either, so yeah, probably China)

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-LifT-T-6906D-Double-Jack-Stands/dp/B074R17GL4

They are made the same way, will fail the same way.

mike_galli_harbor_freight_jack_stand1.jpg

They are made the same way, will fail the same way.

mike_galli_harbor_freight_jack_stand1.jpg
For the record that's why the new style jack stands are being recalled, the old ones were just fine in my opinion. And to be honest even with the broken weld the jack stand didn't actually fail. I guess my point is people are forgetting what harbor freight is--ive always expected to have to modify somehow the tool I buy for 80% less than the others.

Where else do you plan to buy Jack stands that are any better quality than the hf versions?

Rural King is where I’d start.

Where else do you plan to buy Jack stands that are any better quality than the hf versions?

My jack stands are from Northern. Not necessarily better, but I always have a couple 12x12 blocks I use as back up. Can’t imagine anything I own making solid wood squash...

Honestly, this is why I usually leave my jack underneath, tight...but not really weight bearing. Jack stands. Then I also have a chunk of granite and a weird blob of brick/concrete that I usually keep right beside my head or most vulnerable body part under a vehicle.

I dunno why this thing exists...but it’s saved a couple ER trips over the years...

0E6E1CB5-97BF-4E75-87D1-03FBEE567441.jpeg
FB6AD83A-065E-4F99-AE18-A5561063122A.jpeg

For the record that's why the new style jack stands are being recalled, the old ones were just fine in my opinion. And to be honest even with the broken weld the jack stand didn't actually fail. I guess my point is people are forgetting what harbor freight is--ive always expected to have to modify somehow the tool I buy for 80% less than the others.

That one looks like it was either used on an irregular surface (dirt), or was deliberately damaged to show that the "new and improved" ones are also crappy.

I used some of the recalled ones yesterday. Had one of them up on two legs. Didn't die.

My HF jack stands are so old they pre-date the re-call.
I bought mine when EVERYONE was still bashing EVERYTHING sold by HF.
I did buy the biggest they sold at the time.
But I bought them for the fly-weight Samurai .... and even used them on a Sport Trac and Envoy.

Back