Harbor Freight - what's good, what's junk?

Dont buy the air rivot guns, I bought the cheap one the first time, it lasted about 30 rivots then crapped out, took it back and exchanged for the better one, more expensive model, it lasted about 10 rivots last night and left me back to hand rivoting all the damn sheetmetal on:(

I've had good luck with the jack stands and the orange/white floor jack. I do also have a retractable extension cord reel that seems to have lasted for the last 6 years hanging up in the ceiling of the garage; its very convenient and other than replacing the crappy plug on the end, I've had excellent results from it for $30.

Everything else I've had has fallen apart prematurely.

Has anyone tried the auto darkening welding helmets they sell? I won't trust my eyes to just anything, but I've been curios about these as a backup hood.

I tried one years ago when I was in a welding shop doing a lot of welding.

After a few days of using it all day, I threw it in the trash as it caused my eyes to hurt.

I'm adding the 6x6 welding blanket to the good list too. Its the only one I've ever bought and I still have it. Well worth the $20 I spent on n it considering its saved thousands worth of spatter sensitive surrounding parts.

I buy stuff from HF that I only plan on using once, if I can use it more than that, good. never buy shit from them without a 20% coupon.

I hate to encourage their incorrigible business of selling cheap chinese crap, but...
Air impact guns: I have one that is as good as my IR one, and one that couldn't break loose a hand tightened 1/4" bolt.
Torque wrenches: 1/2" one has been great for 1/2" type of work (50ft-lbs plus). Anything under that seems to be too tight or just inconsistent. What did I expect for 9.99.
TIG welder: Gets the job done. Nothing fancy, but creates a DC sine wave and makes the tungsten glow.
Pittsburgh ratchet wrenches: Like a boss. I've torqued the hell out of these things, and they have held up outstanding. I even accidentally left them in a tub of water for a couple weeks, and when I got them out, they were all rusted and would barely move. I sprayed em with PB Blaster then WD40, and they have been great ever since.
Auto Darkening helmet: Seemed fine till I got a nice Miller one. The delay is too much and too inconsistent, but much better than no helmet. For a couple welds its fine, but welding alot with it gave me headaches and bright spots when I closed my eyes. Apparently I'm not the only one.
I tried one years ago when I was in a welding shop doing a lot of welding.

After a few days of using it all day, I threw it in the trash as it caused my eyes to hurt.

I also have one of the HF 8000# winches on my trailer. It works, but sometimes it doesn't. But usually it does. When it does, it pulls great.

Their parking is good.

occasional hottie running the cash register I guesso_O

I used to have one of the ATV winches for one of my old utility trailers and the solenoids stuck on and screwed up the winch. I just steer away from those items from now on :)

This time last year I was driving to Harbor freight once a week, haha. Now we buy everything from @snappy.... He's at the shop 2 or 3 times a month with, here and why.

I like those yellow spiral HF air hoses. Especially if you run 175 psi.

My entire air tool collection is still going after 5-6 years.

The electric metal shears is not too great. Constantly breaking parts but they sell all the parts separately. But many weak links.

The 4" disk grinder I bought burnt up in matter of days with hard use.

The shop presses kick tail except for the frames always need modifying to handle axle shafts. And for some reason the thick cast metal base plates are always slightly different thicknesses and you have to dig through several to get 2 close to the same.

20k pound bottle jacks (same ones used to power their presses) are good stuff. Lifted a many houses up for foundation work.

I go through 2" and 3" chip brushes and the black heavy duty latex gloves by the box. Good cheap stuff.

Tape measures suck

Their version of a pull-out winch hitch cradle was worthless scrap metal after first pull.

Their sand paper and grinding disks don't last near as long as quality USA made but get the job done if you buy bulk.

You can return anything no questions asked if you are a "member" with instant email receipt notifications.

Torch cart is cheaper than if you made one yourself but the tires are flat every time I want to move it around. May just need bead sealer???

ALL of their air filled tires suck... I do the Northern Tool solid no-flat tires whenever the size exists.

IMO for the money you can't beat the US General tool boxes. I bought the 56" bottom box on sale and I love it. I plan to buy the matching top chest once I have some free cash and can catch it on sale. They also have a 72" roller cabinet now.

IMO for the money you can't beat the US General tool boxes.
I disagree completely. HOMAK is about the best low-cost box. For the home mechanic, that opens his drawers a few times a month maybe they'll last. But sit it next to any quality box, and you can see why it is cheap.

They do seem to be on par with the current offerings from craftsman and Homedepot though. JUNK!

I do have some 1/2" drive deepwell impact sockets that have seen daily shop use for over 4 years on my MG725 and IR2135 guns. Best thing I've bought at HF yet

Some things there is no difference, others i can show the difference.... 2 different worlds for the weekend warrior and a guy that depends on there tools to make a check.
This. I have a plasma cutter that works great, but will cut out on really long burns. I would throw it through a wall if I depended on it. If you needed a vibrating saw around the house, pick one up for $20. I have a Fein brand that will kick them in the ass, but I paid $500 for it 8 years or longer and it still runs.

If you depend on the tool, stay away. If you are a weekend warrior you can't beat them.

I have sworn that place off completely at this point. Good tools are never a bad investment.

That said, their 2-1/4 ton floor jack is still kicking in my garage. Their 4-1/2" angle Grinder is a piece of crap. I bought one that lasted 25 minutes. I replaced it with a 10A Dewalt that had soldiered on through 7 years of hard use and it had only needed one set of brushes so far.

If it's metal, and heavy, it's good enough for the DIY guys. Jack stands, presses (albeit not the most 'square'), hoists, engine stands, love the tool boxes, and they have lots of interesting toolery

I have the Kobalt version of that in 3/8 drive and love it. Been wanting another one, now I know which one I need to buy as trail tool.

We build custom cars and do custom paint at my shop, HF carries the pittsburgh composite ratchet with rubber handles (steel core). Just about everyone in my shop owns at least one, I have multiples. These are the best thing ever when assembling a freshly painted car or doing any ratcheting near paint! Not to make it sound like we aren't extremely careful, but I'm pretty sure everyone at one time or another has accidentally over-swung or slipped a ratchet and contacted some paint. These have a real tight ratchet and won't damage paint in case of accident (+ they are under $10 for 1/4").

I've been using a HF tire changer for a while, mostly for old steel wheels and tires that magically accumulate around our shop. Its not heavy duty enough and its a workout to use for sure but paid for itself a couple times over.

Back