Harbor Freight - what's good, what's junk?

Exactly what Snappy said. Years ago when I did alot of mobile audio I had a nice set of snap-on tools. Probably around 8-9k total. Even quality tools like Matco, Snap-on, and Mac break on occaision, but they are for the ones earning a paycheck with them. After my box was stolen from my storage unit, I've rebuilt my tools from various companies. Alot of my HF stuff has held up just as well as my more expensive brands, but Im only a weekend mechanic now.

Goods
their topend wrenches (yes even HF has even cheaper crap)
welder 170amp/240v (got it on sale for 150.00)
impacts
jack stands/ jacks
engine hoist
tool boxes (for the price)

bads
any of their battery operated tools
small chop saw (bought one to cut some small stuff, quit after making 2 cuts)

I picked up a HF welding helmet a few weeks ago just as a "get me by" helmet for a while. I go through helmets like they're Reese's pb cups. I noticed the headband is a little uncomfortable after several hours and there's a strap in the back than can cut your ears when you lower the hood (if you have big ears). After fixing the few little dumb things, it works great I think. The real test was last night I left it sitting out in the rain. I was afraid I had killed it since water damage has destroyed several of my helmets before this one. But no, still works amazingly. I say this hood is worth the money.

c clamps are junk and the end falls off screw after several uses.
there brand saw-all =junk
air die grinders are great for the price. I used these doing head porting. Vane's are bad to stick but a whack with a hammer or a good cleaning got it going again.
as said before impact sockets are tuff for the price.
oil filter wrench is good.
I'll have to look and see if I have any other tools in the shop that have stood up to the test of time.

The dual action polisher is great.

The coupons work great :D
I've been eyeballing the sawmill ($1600ish with sale and coupon). Anybody local wanna go halves?

Their pneumatic brake bleeder kit ($20) worked well for me when you don't have a second set of hands/feet to pump the brakes.

Drill bits. The cheapies. I've bought three of this kit when they go on sale for $9. Drilled a bunch of stainless and steel with them. 3/4" thick steel, no pilot hole, dry, 3/8 bit. No problem. Did a bunch of 3/16" holes in 3/8 stainless yesterday using Tap Magic for lube. Bit looked great. If you do knock off a corner, they resharpen fine, too. I really want to get their big cobalt index, but can't justify it yet. Their center drill kit and tiny drill bits work a treat, too. http://www.harborfreight.com/29-pie...anium-nitride-coated-drill-bit-set-32926.html

IMO for the money you can't beat the US General tool boxes. I bought the 56" bottom box on sale and I love it. I plan to buy the matching top chest once I have some free cash and can catch it on sale. They also have a 72" roller cabinet now.

ive been using my box with the side locker attached and side cabinate for 6 years now in the machine shop. never had an issue. theres prob 10 guys that have the same box. ive got maybe $700 total in the box. i cant complain once about it.

I like my 5 drawer red tool cart a lot. Doesn't get abused, but it is loaded down and has held up well. Literally the last bolt didn't line up when putting it together is the only complaint I've got. o_O
The portaband blades like to jump loose. Havent looked into trying to adjust anything on it so might be simple fix.
Got the Kawasaki green punch/chisel set which has been good so far.
Just got a 2 ton folding engine hoist. Havent used it yet, but hoping it holds up well.

I visited a Harbor Freight for the first time yesterday. I went mainly for one item, which I got(set of stubbys). But, I walked every isle while there.
One thing I noticed was the hammers, WOW great prices there, better than flea market ones I think.
How do they hold up?
So, I have read this entire thread, one question is, how do you get these free coupons? and the discount coupons?

Are the tie wraps any good?

I visited a Harbor Freight for the first time yesterday. I went mainly for one item, which I got(set of stubbys). But, I walked every isle while there.
One thing I noticed was the hammers, WOW great prices there, better than flea market ones I think.
How do they hold up?
So, I have read this entire thread, one question is, how do you get these free coupons? and the discount coupons?

Are the tie wraps any good?
The stubby ball peen hammer is one of the best additions you can make to your life. Catch them on sale for $2.99 and buy 3 or 4. One for the trail bag, shop, kitchen drawer, etc. I have 3 and have beaten the snot out of them. They're a great size for the shop, when getting a bigger hammer isn't always the best idea.

To get the coupons, just go online and sign up for emails. They're not bad about spamming. While you're there, sign up for the paper flyer. You'll get a few more coupons there. And never EVER buy anything that isn't "on sale!" most everything you want will be on sale more than it isn't. The sale price is really the regular price, full price sucks. Make a list, watch the sales. When it goes cheap, grab a 20% coupon and go get it!

you can sign up for text coupons to.. you get a 20% coupon for signing up. I waited till I needed something that wasn't on sale send the text in store and used the coupon 5 minutes later

The stubby ball peen hammer is one of the best additions you can make to your life. Catch them on sale for $2.99 and buy 3 or 4. One for the trail bag, shop, kitchen drawer, etc. I have 3 and have beaten the snot out of them. They're a great size for the shop, when getting a bigger hammer isn't always the best idea.

I absolutely agree, I have a "lil pecker" hanging on my wall in the shop

There's a quotable quote! LOL have fun with it!

Yeah the tie wraps, cable ties are great. Most things in the electrical department are just as good as the higher end stuff including the heat shrink. The assortment boxes of crimp-on connectors work very well.

Works amazing.
http://m.harborfreight.com/throatless-shear-38413.html

http://m.harborfreight.com/pistol-grip-air-shears-98580.html

I have the 40" version of this. It works great after you correctly set it up.
http://m.harborfreight.com/30-inch-shear-press-brake-and-slip-roll-5907.html

I have 2 different lengths of these. The magnets in them are super strong. Best level I've ever owned.
http://m.harborfreight.com/24-in-solid-aluminum-level-69242.html

Use one of these daily.
http://m.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html

Also used daily.
http://m.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hammers/4-lb-neon-orange-dead-blow-hammer-41800.html

After years in business using my tools every day I've learned that you have to pay for quality tools if you plan to make money with them but these few things came from HF and work as they should every day so not really a need to ever replace them.

Back