help!!! NP242 not much time

77GreenMachine

Phillip Talton
Ok guys saturday I was down by the river in 4low when this terrible binding and popping noise started coming from the front end. This was just normal creeping and turning in sand. On the way out I had to climb a few hills and under a load its real bad and loud as crap! I can feel it when it does it. I thought maybe it was a bad UV joint but after getting a buddy to listen close as I made it pop it seems to be coming from the Tcase. I can spin the front Dshaft back and forth and hear a lot of slack in the chain. Pretty sure its jumping teeth and that's what I hear and feel. I hear the chain even in 2wd now cause its so slack. I gotta fix this before opening weekend. Had it planned for 7-8 months now.
what I need to know is what cases will bolt right in?
mines an NP242 j
assembly #5300 7856
serial#4 4 91 2
Ratio 272
This is in my 91 xj 4.0 Country, automatic .
my buddy has a 231 he said I can have but I need to what all will bolt right in. Last resort is go to pull apart and find an exact match if I can. But it would be nice if the free 231 goes right in. Ill get the numbers and stuff off that case from him later and post that info. Any advice y'all have will help and thanks in advance! And if u got a good case on the cheap let me know.

Yeah im pretty sure that chain is the problem.

After some more research it seems this is a common problem with the 242. Lots of people said theirs was slipping and they just replaced the chain. Im thinking now I should just split the case and if my gears look fine the just replace the chain and ride out. If I get a junkyard case I risk having the same stretched chain issue. Anyone ever replaced the chain? Read a couple things. Don't seem too bad.

The 242 in my DD Liberty did the same exact thing. I found a 30K mile 242 on carpart.com for under $200 fairly local. I bought it, put it in and all is good. Now, to your question. The 231 from the same year will go right in assuming it also had the same transmission in front of it or something that was a 23spline output. The only issue you may have, and I say may, is the overall length of the case may be different, causing you to make driveshaft modifications. Just know the 231 is not a full time case like the 242. The shifter and dash lights may not be accurate.

Greensboro U-Pullit has several XJ's and they sell the TC for $50, they had one or two ZJ's with the 242 but that was a month ago. They crush vehicles quite regularly so I can't guarantee they still have them.

I am off today if you want to go out there and need a hand puilling one let me know I live 5 minutes from the yard I will go give you a hand. PM'ed you my number.

If the 231 came out of a 91+, it is a bolt up affair. I'd do that and loose that 242.. plus there are more aftermarket stuff for a 231 than the 242.

$.02

thanks for all the advice.
jds97wrangler, thanks for the offer, got your PM late, lol.

a kelley i think later on im gonna go to a 231 since there is more aftermarket support but for now just gonna slap a chain in mine since it was only $60. if id seen jds97wrangler's post ida went and got a 231 but ive already ordered a chain now:shaking:.
is there a cheap way to swap in a dana 300? id love to have a twin stick set up. or is it possible to twin stick a 231?:confused:

hopefullya new chain fixes the problem and gets me back in business:driver:
if not ill get a 231 out of a 91+ with the help of jds97wrangler:beer:

A 300 would have to be flipped and have a new shifter setup made or bought. To make a 300 a worthwile swap, you should also upgrade the output shaft and do a 4:1 swap. More $. A 231 cannot be twinsticked, but there is a 2 low option for less than $200.

Ive got a 242 in my garage its urs for $100

chain came in wednesday, tore down the back side of the case and was astonished when nothing but dust came out when i split the case! it seems the case had been dry for some time, everything had a redish rusty color. bearings all seem good though. previous owner didnt drive it on the road and obviously neglected it. the chain was very loose and actually sagged down to the point it rubbed a 4-5" mark on the case. boy them snap rings on the shafts are a real PITA!
got the new chain in place and it doesnt hang down half as much. didnt finish putting it back together cause i had to head to work, but it will be all done friday along with my new Spartan locker in the front. got a few pics of the chain and dry as a bone case, but i can never get pics to upload. if someones willing to post them for me let me know and i can email or text them.
ill let ya all know if my problem is fixed when its back together!

Back