Home Made CJ Bumpers

TKFireman

Built some bumpers for my CJ, figured I'd post some pics see what ya'll thought. I know my welding isn't pretty, I'm still learning, seems to hold together though.
IMG_0394.jpg
[/IMG]
ai785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_TKFireman_IMG_0395.jpg

ai785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_TKFireman_IMG_0421_1.jpg

ai785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_TKFireman_IMG_0418.jpg

ai785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_TKFireman_IMG_0419.jpg

ai785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_TKFireman_IMG_0424.jpg

I appreciate the comments guys. Bought some parts (cleavis mounts, winch hoop and mounting plates) and got some tips from a guy named BERSK on jeepforum.com Very helpful guy if anyone else is looking to build some bumpers.

looks good, I like the box in the tire carrier. That just gave me an Idea. Thanks Man!

keep at it, got to put in the time to get better. cool to make your own stuff though, huh!

For the most part, heat was as high as it would go, only a 110V 130 amp mig welder. I stood on top of bumper and jumped up and down, seemed to be pretty solid, I'm about 250 lbs. The 12 ga metal the box is made of was the hardest for me to get a nice bead on, just need more practice.

The welds look real good for unexperienced work on a 110v mig. The more time you spend the better you will be. I really like the rear storage area, I will probably integrate that into some of my future project.

thanks guys, I added some weather stripping around the door to try and keep water out, we'll see how it works.

Those are really cool and would look good on my CJ.Why don't yah sell me those and build yourself another set?:lol:

Those are really cool and would look good on my CJ.Why don't yah sell me those and build yourself another set?:lol:
I appreciate the compliment, and look forward to taking on another project, but think I will keep these. If I can build them, anyone can.

what did you use as a hinge i wanna make my own and i was looking into it
I'm sure there are a thousand different ways to do this, some more or less expensive, some more or less convenient, but here are some of the parts I used.
The hinge is a trailer tire spindle. You can make your own if you want, read this thread on jeep forum.com, 62 pages of good ideas and info.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/...tire-carrier-follow-along-101332/index62.html
I bought my spindle already set-up to do this with, cost a little extra, but didn't have to deal with getting tubes the right size for races, and making a race separator. Several companies make them, I got mine from A to Z fabrication
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/product.php?productid=16138&cat=274&page=1
ai785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_TKFireman_IMG_0412.jpg

The latch I used is a De Sta Co brand model 341-r latch, cheapest place I found was amazon.com to get it. Works well, rated at 2000 lbs, very adjustable so mounting the latch extremely precise is not an issue and it has a safety latch so it will not open unless you want it to. I mounted it at an angle so it pulls both in and down.
http://www.destaco.com/products.asp...&Category_2=DE%2DSTA%2DCO%AE+Toggle+Lock+Plus
IMG_0420.jpg
[/IMG]

Thats a good possibility. I live near Olive Chapel and Apex BBQ. I work for the Apex FD. How about you?

No problem, if you have any more questions, let me know. I think i saw the tube made up for the hinge for sale, where you can go buy the spindle/bearings yourself, it may be cheaper, but I can't remeber where i saw it

Rockstomper has them for about $45/ea plus shipping, Timken bearings and seal included.

the one I got from A to Z was $46.95 plus shipping, wasn't timken bearings, I forget the brand, but bearings, seal, castel nut, carter pin and dust cap was included

Back