Home vacuum cleaners.

R Q

Mine crapped out finally and parts are obsolete. I usually get Hoover Windtunnel because of cat and dog hair. They (pets) are all gone, at least in the house so I need a new inexpensive unit (-$200) that's still good. I'm not sure that cordless is the way to go, there's a good bit of debris because of a big tree all over my back yard. Any insight? I'll either order one tonight on Amazon or go to Sam's and get one tomorrow.

I was getting ready to delete this post but it may come to life... lol BTW I dont give a shit about a vacuum cleaner, I'll go get one tomorrow at Sam's, it'll be fine.

A Shark, like this one. I'm pretty sure it was sucking up dust from the subflooring through the carpet.

On the shelf at Walmart for 299, pull it up on their website for 199 and have them price match it. Good to go.

20221225_135043.jpg

Vacuums are a disposable item to me. Good ones ($4-600) seem to only last 2ish years for me. So now we get whatever the cheapest ‘pet vacuum’ is on Amazon, every 6-12 months. I’m on month 6 of a $75 dirt Devil at the moment.

We have a Dyson that was bought new in 2004 or so. Replaced the beater bar and bottom plate numerous times and the hose once or twice. We use the shit out of it, but I've heard the new ones aren't as good. If it dies, will probably look at a Miele. Fuck a cordless.

A Shark, like this one. I'm pretty sure it was sucking up dust from the subflooring through the carpet.

On the shelf at Walmart for 299, pull it up on their website for 199 and have them price match it. Good to go.

View attachment 390452
We have this exact same one. It does exactly what its supposed to do and the filters are easy to clean. When that one eventually craps out we'll go to Costco and pick up another of whatever is on the floor that month.

I think my old Shark is 15 years old? I've got high hopes for this one.

Somebody, probably my grandparents, gave us a WindTunnel for our wedding 23 years ago. We used it for about a decade, then not long after moving up here foudn a deal on a Dyson Animal full size and switched to that. It was great for many years, then a couple years ago it started randomlt shutting of with a blinking red light. The intwebs says some kind of overheating problem I could never diagnose. Went into the basement and brought up the WindTunnel, and we're still using it.

I frankly much prefer the empty-able cannister style because you can really clean it and see what you've picked up (for those cases where you hear that ear ring or wtfever you
suddenly realize is worth digging out). I'd bet that Shark above is great. But this WindTunnel just goes and goes and goes.

So we have a shark corded vacuum cleaner that we got as a wedding gift 6 years ago and we love it. Last year, we bought would of those cordless ones from walmart, I think it was under $100 and you just mount it to the wall and let it charge when not in use and I use that thing literally everyday. cleaning up small stuff here and there and basically just run it all over the first floor, so we probably use the corded vacuum cleaner maybe once a month, to do a more thorough cleaning of the floor.

Look for a Kirby on Craigs list or FBMP

Ours 22 years old and chugging along just fine, clean it, make adjustments from time to time, belts and bags available on Amazon

Mom still has hers 45+ years old and had to put up with the flotsam that a young curious boy would leave behind, legos, washers, bolts, small other parts of stuff, sounds like the grinder at salvage yard when it goes thru but it keeps going. My Dad recently tuned it up with new brushes and a few other parts.
Yep, they’re expensive as hell when buying new, but it’s the last one you’ll buy l.

Bought a used Kirby about 6 years ago and paid about $300 for it, it's still going strong.

My daughter did just buy her mom an iRobot with the auto empty feature. It's good for maintenance sucking but for large messes and deep cleaning, nothing seems to beat the Kirby.

We’ve had all kinds, including cheap and expensive. The ones we have found to work the best for us is the Dyson Animal. We have one of the larger corded ones that kicks butt and also one of the small cordless ones for the stairs to bonus room or spills or something quick. The cordless isn’t made for a whole house or room cleaning but works well for small spaces and spot treating an area as needed.

My daughter did just buy her mom an iRobot with the auto empty feature. It's good for maintenance sucking but for large messes and deep cleaning, nothing seems to beat the Kirby.

Our iRobot did surprisingly well brushing up the dirt and dog hair on our low pile carpet in our old house, but it couldn't suck it up for shit.

We also have a walmart or lowes special Shark. It's a vacuum, it does the job 🤷‍♂️

Duane

I bought a Shark Rocket D U O Clean, corded, 2 -3 years ago, from Walmart. Somewhere around $290. I couldn't find a better price. I watched several videos & you tube recommendations. It has two speeds/ suction. One for carpet, & a lower one for floors. My ole vacuum would kick out all the tiny particles, on the hard floors. Shark sucks it up. Cord probably 18 -20'. Small debris chamber, that you dump out. Has a built in filter in it. You can take the head off, for close up work, with a few attachments. I don't use it as often as I should, but I'm satisfied with it.

If you have the change (or can find one used) get a Rainbow. Indestructible and really get the dirt up. My folks have had one since the late 80's and it still works great. My wife bought one in her 20's and it has only needed one belt change. It will truly be the last vacuum you ever buy for the house.

If you have the change (or can find one used) get a Rainbow. Indestructible and really get the dirt up. My folks have had one since the late 80's and it still works great. My wife bought one in her 20's and it has only needed one belt change. It will truly be the last vacuum you ever buy for the house.
I was scrolling down to post a similar experience with the Rainbow vacuums...Mom bought one in the early to mid 80's - still running. Wife scored one with a ton of accessories for $20 @ a church sale a year or two ago. Built like tanks, replaceable parts, etc.

We do have a mid-level Dyson for touch up cleaning.

You have one?
Reviews?
I do, it's been pretty good but it's not perfect. I haven't had any of the other brands so can't really compare it to anything. I could never get it to store a map for my upstairs so that feature (ability to store multiple maps) hasn't worked at all. I have mostly hardwoods, tile & some big area rugs. It doesn't get down in the rugs or carpet like a corded, handheld does, but it's great for keeping the dog hair & dirt from 10 & 7 yo boys up. It damn sure will fill up the dust container in a single battery cycle. Would I buy it again? Possibly, but I'd prob give another brand a try... esp at the price point. I'd prob try the Shark equivalent version at Costco. Neighbor has one & my wife has had 2 handheld Sharks & has loved them (both of which from Costco).

Last edited:
Vacuums are a disposable item to me. Good ones ($4-600) seem to only last 2ish years for me. So now we get whatever the cheapest ‘pet vacuum’ is on Amazon, every 6-12 months. I’m on month 6 of a $75 dirt Devil at the moment.

Cheap Dirt Devil canister latch broke…Goodwill entered the chat with this $15 vacuum.

B1EC09AF-0570-45A9-99FB-F59257C400B2.jpeg

Back