Hopefully lightweight, low budget buggy

90xj

I've had the start of a chassis for some time now, but have waited till I had most major parts bought before starting to really work on this thing. I have finally made a little progress, specs are approx. 110" wheelbase, tbi 350, 700r4, d300 flipped. HP 44 with arb, axleshafts undetermined so far, rear 9" with currie high pinion center, arb and 35 spline stuff. Cutting brakes, custom fabbed cable shifters for the twin sticks. 39.5" iroks, champion beadlocks, 14" ori st's should be on the way shortly. Warn xd9000i on the front, maybe an m8000 on the rear. Working on an onboard welder setup on the side, but not sure if it'll go on yet or not.
Here's how the chassis sat when I purchased it, all 1.75 and 1.5 dom, .120 wall
attachment.php

After building the seat mounts
attachment.php

door bars
attachment.php

Not as pimp as jim's stuff, but i have very very little in this chassis:huggy:
I don't always remember to take pics, but i'm trying

Attachments

• 0531082028.jpg
    0531082028.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,072
  • 0103092008.jpg
    0103092008.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 2,924
  • 0103092210.jpg
    0103092210.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2,927
I got a really good deal on the axles and beadlocks, so it'll get run for awhile. I'll build either a 60 or a 609 to replace it. It'll get me by till I gather the fundage for another axle.

I used Alloy USA shafts in my old D44 and can't say enough good things about them. I know there are stronger shafts out there if you want to get into that kind of money.

Yeah ben, a 5.3 will come later, but I already have the tbi stuff ready to go, and honestly i'm just ready to wheel, been rigless since about june.

gonovrit, I have been thinking about a set of alloy's or ten factory with longfield u-joints. That's probably the route i'll end up going.

i got a hp 44 and 9" i think 488 with locker and shafts I want to sell if you need?

ps little chassis buggy are cooler i got one too. Its not pimping unless you and your passenger are touching shoulders

Good to meet you too man.

Update, got the engine mounted last weekend, tranny and t-case will be mounted this weekend. I also fixed the stupid angle the builder put on the a-pillar. I'm gonna try to get my axles mocked up so I can get to figuring out my links as i bought the material for them last friday also. Looking for an aluminum fuel cell if anyone has one they want rid of.

Landen or I can build you one custom for cheap, compared to some of the store bought ones. We also build em out of thicker gauge material.

That's going to be a damn good looking "low budget" buggy. Though I don't know if those ori struts are really low budget. :flipoff2: I second the alloy usa comments, I've got them and yukon joints in the bronco 44 and them with spicer joints in the heep's 30 and they certainly kick ass. Too bad they are no longer in business...
What size link tubing did you go with?

That's going to be a damn good looking "low budget" buggy. Though I don't know if those ori struts are really low budget. :flipoff2: I second the alloy usa comments, I've got them and yukon joints in the bronco 44 and them with spicer joints in the heep's 30 and they certainly kick ass. Too bad they are no longer in business...
What size link tubing did you go with?

Actually, if you factor in the costs of air shocks, air bumps, sway bar setup and limit straps, The ori's don't seem too bad, add in the fact that you only have to mount one thing then it get's even better.

The lowers are gonna be 2.5 x 1.5 .250 wall with the ballistic joints welded directly to the link. The uppers are schedule 80 1.5" with ruffstuff tubing adapters and 1.250 threaded rod tig'd to the ballistic joint.

That's definitely some beef. You're right about the prices. What is the wait time for a set of those now?

And I hope you're not planning on putting a liberty hood on this thing. :flipoff2:

Nope, Just gonna make panels, not gonna make it look like something it doesn't have a single piece of in it. Tjs',cj's, cruisers, liberty's, all those clips are too played out for me.

Disclaimer: if you are into comps, then I understand the running of a clip that resembles something for sponsorship opportunities.

Nope, Just gonna make panels, not gonna make it look like something it doesn't have a single piece of in it. Tjs',cj's, cruisers, liberty's, all those clips are too played out for me.
Disclaimer: if you are into comps, then I understand the running of a clip that resembles something for sponsorship opportunities.

yeah and if you have the money to build a buggy these days, it can be what it wants to be :flipoff2:

CJ mostly for me, but it happens

build is looking good

Braxton, I think the wait time was signifigantly reduced by the addition of a cnc lathe at ori to make the bodies. But before that, I think he told brandon it would be 8 weeks or so. If you would like more info on them, call brandon @ rides.

Got the tranny and tcase bolted up tonight, gonna build that crossmember tomorrow. Front axle is at mudpro getting the truss and steering cylinder mount designed and cut. Looking for an empty 9" housing if anyone has one. I need to swap the good stuff I have into one, the housing I have needs way to much cutting and grinding.

I'll try to take a pic or 2 tomorrow

I second the alloy usa comments, I've got them and yukon joints in the bronco 44 and them with spicer joints in the heep's 30 and they certainly kick ass. Too bad they are no longer in business...
You do realize that Alloy USA is now Ten Factory, right? Ten Factory honors their old Alloy USA warranty as well, with the proper documentation of purchase since Alloy USA's name was sold to Omix. Anything bought under the Alloy USA name after the purchase by Omix will not be warrantied by Ten Factory. Just an fyi.

Not gonna tig the schedule 80, gonna tig the threaded rod to the joint. Since i'm sure you are trying to bash my decision to run sch. 80, here's my reasoning. Needed something 1.5" id for the tube adapters, didnt wanna pay dom prices for something that shouldn't see anything more than a tension (push/pull) load.

Thanks

Back