Hopefully lightweight, low budget buggy

I love heli-arc welding on buggy stuff when its done right, very cool. People get all weirded out when you see a smaller looking tig weld on a part like that. All you need is a joint the same size and thickness as the smallest base material, in your case the joint body. Anything else is wasted filler material and a weakened joint from the related stress risers. I tigged my hydro steering links and they looked sweet. I'd tig every joint I ever put in if time and money was never a factor. Btw if you take structual tig test you have to make multiple passes in a bevel on 3/8 plate (depending on test procedure and thickness qualification). So done right he has no worries.

sounds like a nice start to a buggy. If I have the time, I'm going to TIG my chassis when I get the buggy all put together.

keep it up

Going to mudpro tomorrow to pick up my link mounts, then hopefully I can get some work done. Had to much going on around here, and running around gathering parts. I'll get a picture this weekend hopefully.

Here's a couple pics, first the mudpro truss for the front, Thanks scott!
attachment.php

attachment.php

And a drivetrain shot
attachment.php

Attachments

• 0131091715.jpg
    0131091715.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,793
  • 0131091715a.jpg
    0131091715a.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,777
  • 0131091715b.jpg
    0131091715b.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,796
Bought some more parts from brandon and mud, just need time to work on it. Getting ready to head over and work some today.

Your's is coming along nicely jim! I wish i could work that fast.

Bought some more parts from brandon and mud, just need time to work on it. Getting ready to head over and work some today.
Your's is coming along nicely jim! I wish i could work that fast.
cool,be sure to take more pics,i like looking at different ideas/projects.it fills my head with crazy ideas,,LOL
i started to mock up the body/interior panels last night.

Got my transmission crossmember made, my radiator came in today, and I started assembling my blingin cheap ass shifters.

Attachments

• 0221092249a.jpg
    0221092249a.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,270
No picture worthy progress, rear 9" truss is almost complete, been welding a little here and a little there so I don't warp it. Joints for upper links have the threaded rod tig'd on ( thanks larry) Hope to get the lower links started this weekend, and finish up the cable shifter stuff. I wish I had time to work through the week to get this thing done!

Got the lower links done, gonna paint them and assemble the joints in the am, and hopefully by the weekend this thing will have the axles under it and sitting on the tires. Still won't go anywhere, but maybe it'll re-motivate me:driver:

Attachments

• 0318092127.jpg
    0318092127.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,134
Thats cool using the 'cheep' speedway style shifters in that way. Cool setup...

Thanks.

Between the shifters and the cables, I only have about $80 in that stuff. There is also an economy cast shifter that only runs about $20, which would cut the cost to about $50. Between the bracketry and everything, i'll have a guesstimated $150 in them.

Long time no update, got the front links completed this weekend, the rear uppers are all that's left, then it will get off the ground and i'll get motivated a little more. Still waiting on my struts, ORI is slower than a 96 year old woman in a broke down pinto. As soon as they get here I can finish up the front end, then the tubework for the dash and finish weld everything, then paint and assembly.

Here ya go mud! I finally got this bitch off the ground, and brandon called and said the ori struts should be in in the next day or so. I feel more motivated now!:driver:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And the rear mudpro truss and bracketry
attachment.php

Attachments

• 0420092125a.jpg
    0420092125a.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,185
  • 0420092132a.jpg
    0420092132a.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,189
  • 0420092126.jpg
    0420092126.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,311
Thanks, Ordered up some tie rods this morning, so the steering should be finished up this weekend. Some shock hoops and a little more tube work and it will be ready to finish weld.

Back