Hot tubs - Looking for input

cranbiz

So the wife has said she wants a hot tub. I wouldn't mind one either so looking for advice on brands, etc. I have a space limitation on getting it onto my enclosed patio so size is important. Figure I can squeeze in a max of 79" with a little bit of work. Most of the brands have a 5 person in some model that will fit. Research says stay away from Aqua Leisure or any of the LBI brands due to cheap construction. I'm leaning towards a PDC because I really like the construction of them and they glue and clamp the jet plumbing, have great warranties and off the shelf parts, plus are made in PA.

So those who have tubs, what you got, like/dislike and who gave you the best deal. I know many manufacturers are month out on delivery. I have 110v already in place and shortly will have 220v 50A available.

Before saying dont get one, I have had them before and the therapeutic value for two old people is a huge benefit and the recreational and relaxation value to me is high.

Would like to keep it under 8K if possible as I want to pay cash.

Go.

Last edited:
I have a 8 person that I never use lol. Cost too much to run a month for the little use we get out of it. I will say this a hot tub has got to be in the top 10 of most depreciating items a person can get it. Most large ones are over 10k and I dont see many on Facebook market place above 1k.

We have had one put in at our last two houses and as I’m typing this we have one on order for this house. We use the crap out of them. In the summer we turn heat off and have a small pool with jets. We highly recommend Cal Spas. They are out of CA so you have a little more in cost but quality and them standing behind there product has been top notch from our experience. We ordered ours in October and was told they were 5 months out but we knew exactly what we wanted and like you payed cash. Hope this helps a little

I have a 8 person that I never use lol. Cost too much to run a month for the little use we get out of it. I will say this a hot tub has got to be in the top 10 of most depreciating items a person can get it. Most large ones are over 10k and I dont see many on Facebook market place above 1k.

How much ya want for it? :D

We have had one put in at our last two houses and as I’m typing this we have one on order for this house. We use the crap out of them. In the summer we turn heat off and have a small pool with jets. We highly recommend Cal Spas. They are out of CA so you have a little more in cost but quality and them standing behind there product has been top notch from our experience. We ordered ours in October and was told they were 5 months out but we knew exactly what we wanted and like you payed cash. Hope this helps a little
I heard good things about the Cal Spa but they don't make one that I can fit thru the opening it has to go thru. I have either 76 1/8 removing the slider doors or 79 5/8 if I remove a slider frame top and bottom pieces.

Looking at a true 5 person tub. There are a bunch out there and they meet my dimensional requirements. It can be long but it has to be narrower than 76" or 79"

Yeah, I know that. Unless you find one on the showroom floor that the dealer can and will let go. The place I stopped by yesterday couldn't sell any more demo units, about half of his demo units were sold and they couldn't sell any more off the floor as they needed to keep minimum stocking levels to keep the franchise.

We started looking at the beginning of 2019... just needed hot water & jets (blinky lights/sound systems/waterfalls/ipod interfaces/etc. = more to break).
And for just the 2 of us, ZERO need for small pool sized party pisser.
Ended up with a "small "Alps" brand that's billed as "2-3 person"... basically a 2 person with a cool down seat. EDIT: I remembered that one of the main things I liked about this brand... they use welded 1"x1" galv tube frame(vs. glued/blindly stapled 2x2... aka trailer house construction) and the bottom is molded poly (vs. nothing to keep the mice/bugs out)
Has changing color lights & water stream (never use) and basic controls.
Added $20/month to electric bill, average $20/month for chemicals (bromine tabs/non-chlorinated shock, etc.) & filters.
Since we're "old and achy", we use it EVERY NIGHT (we're home and not raining), so it's THE Best money I've spent in the past 2 years.

I think when you get into the larger sizes (5-10 person..."neighborhood gathering/entertaining hole" class), it's not out of reasoning the power bill/associated costs might triple... that's a 1000-1500+gals needing to be heated/circulated!

Last edited:
We started looking at the beginning of 2019... just needed hot water & jets (blinky lights/sound systems/waterfalls/ipod interfaces/etc. = more to break).
And for just the 2 of us, ZERO need for small pool sized party pisser.
Ended up with a "small "Alps" brand that's billed as "2-3 person"... basically a 2 person with a cool down seat. EDIT: I remembered that one of the main things I liked about this brand... they use welded 1"x1" galv tube frame(vs. glued/blindly stapled 2x2... aka trailer house construction) and the bottom is molded poly (vs. nothing to keep the mice/bugs out)
Has changing color lights & water stream (never use) and basic controls.
Added $20/month to electric bill, average $20/month for chemicals (bromine tabs/non-chlorinated shock, etc.) & filters.
Since we're "old and achy", we use it EVERY NIGHT (we're home and not raining), so it's THE Best money I've spent in the past 2 years.

I think when you get into the larger sizes (5-10 person..."neighborhood gathering/entertaining hole" class), it's not out of reasoning the power bill/associated costs might triple... that's a 1000-1500+gals needing to be heated/circulated!
Extremely helpful.

We will have to go with chlorine and probably an ozonator as my wife is sensitive to bromine (we had a Leisure Bay 20 years ago in MA, LBI is not a mistake I'm making again) and it was a 110V tub that I can't begin to remember what it cost to run.

If you don't mind, can you give a ballpark of what you paid for the tub? It's really hard to get numbers without giving the dealer your info.

Last edited:
It's really hard to get numbers without giving the dealer your info.
Because of Dave's post I actually looked at the Alps Innsbruck, and tried to casually see what that would run.

Since I didn't do more than a 5 minute search I came up with nothing but retailers wanting to quote one for me :rolleyes: Sheesh....these things must have like a 750% markup. It's harder finding a real price for one than for a decent mattress

Because of Dave's post I actually looked at the Alps Innsbruck, and tried to casually see what that would run.

Since I didn't do more than a 5 minute search I came up with nothing but retailers wanting to quote one for me :rolleyes: Sheesh....these things must have like a 750% markup. It's harder finding a real price for one than for a decent mattress
Usually the fancier the showroom and the glossier the datasheet is, the higher the markup. Trying to find a mid priced, quality tub. They are out there just trying to get away from the marketing hype and find real users. The other thing I found is the greater the discount meant the more the MSRP given is inflated.

I looked at a couple of Vita's Monday. Discounts from list were maybe a couple thousand off, the dealer was several storefronts in an industrial complex, so a less fancy showroom but the guy just didn't seem to know the product. For what I think I want, they have 2 models in my size requirements and he told me different things than the published datasheets. Big differences like the tub had a steel frame when it's wood, it had 2 pumps when it had one, etc. so my trust in him is non existent.

With a lot of time in search, sometimes I could find a price that someone bought a particular tub for, usually from a forum. However those comments are few and far between.

Last edited:
Where do you find repos?
I bought from a guy from Flat Rock in Asheville. Has a business reselling and repairing hot tubs. He had used tubs with a guarantee. I got a 5 person tub delivered about 70 miles and set up for $2000. It's 110v and costs about $40 a month I never shut it off. If anyone is interested I have his number. He said he would deliver anywhere even TN or SC.

My son in law works for a pool and spa deal that services the Lake Norman area.
I could probably inquire if y'all wanted some specific model prices.

My son in law works for a pool and spa deal that services the Lake Norman area.
I could probably inquire if y'all wanted some specific model prices.
That would be appreciated.
Can you find out what brands they sell? I have a list of different manufacturers and the models that will fit and then I could give you a list.

Hot tub will probably be great for all your knee surgeries
Yes it would and my wife will be having both hips replaced when Moses Cone starts doing elective surgeries again so it will also benefit her.

I appreciate the link, Ron but it looks too big to get into my sunroom.
10-4 It just popped into Craigslist feed and thought...maybe I'll share.

Several years ago I bought 2 rental houses that both had hot tubs...bought from a failed landlord, what was he thinking, anyway...there used to be a guy in Hendersonville or Asheville that basically dealt used hot tubs. He came down and took both of them for me. He tried to be a wheeler dealer, told me on the phone hed pay 750 each saw pics etc....then when. He gob there it was 500 each because bad photos...i think in the end he maybe gave me 750 for the pair....didnt care he could have had them for free ....
But he made his living being repairing and selling them.if you wanted used route I can find his number

10-4 It just popped into Craigslist feed and thought...maybe I'll share.

Several years ago I bought 2 rental houses that both had hot tubs...bought from a failed landlord, what was he thinking, anyway...there used to be a guy in Hendersonville or Asheville that basically dealt used hot tubs. He came down and took both of them for me. He tried to be a wheeler dealer, told me on the phone hed pay 750 each saw pics etc....then when. He gob there it was 500 each because bad photos...i think in the end he maybe gave me 750 for the pair....didnt care he could have had them for free ....
But he made his living being repairing and selling them.if you wanted used route I can find his number
Same guy I bought mine from I bet. His name is Ron Filka . Business is hot tub recyclers. 828 551 4965

Back