How to convert trailer to LED tail-lights? OK to mix LED and non-LED?

thecarman

My gooseneck currently has incandescent (non-LED) rear park/stop/turn lamps like this:

ai14.ebayimg.com_01_i_07_23_9c_88_2.JPG

One has a blown stop/turn filament in the bulb, but the lights are sealed, so the bulbs are not replaceable so I have to buy the whole light. That sucks.

I thought about replacing these with LED lights. The trailer rides pretty rough when not loaded, which I'm sure contributed to the death of that filament. The LEDs should handle that better, plus be brighter and last longer.

Is this a plug-n-play deal - meaning I can just replace my incandescent units with the LED units? Or do I need some something to make the blinker work right?

And can I mix the incandescent marker lights I have with the new LED tail lights?

Thanks!
Richard

yes you can replace them with LED's, if you look online or in stores like NOrthern you will see when you buy the LED light there is also a plug that you need for them to work correctly, then just wire that plug into the current wires and you are good

example from northern: this shows the LED light and the plug that goes in the back, the other part you need plugs into the 3 little holes and has 2 wires off it, or three wires that you can wore into trailer wiring,... hope it helps

awww.northerntool.com_images_product_images_127611_lg.jpg

The sell them at most truckstops, tractor supply, and even advance now. I have never seen one that you need an adapter for. All of the ones I have used use the same 3 pin connector as the incandesant ones you have pictured.

The sell them at most truckstops, tractor supply, and even advance now. I have never seen one that you need an adapter for. All of the ones I have used use the same 3 pin connector as the incandesant ones you have pictured.

correct most newer trailers do have the 3 pin connector so the new LED lights will just connect in, but i have seen some older trailer lights they did not have that 3pin style

Thanks!

I do have the 3-pin on my existing lights.

So nothing else needed but to buy them and plug them in?

Is this because the incandescent tail lights in my tow rig make my blinker work already, so no need for a special relay?

Richard,
The reason you dont need anything special as opposed to LED lights on a trail rig, is *MOST* (and in this case most means everyone I've ever seen but I do not hold any doubt that some wont apply) have the electronic relay is built into the light "housing"

I ordered them from superbrightleds.com for $20 each light. Got new grommets for the heck of it for $1.50 each. Plus $5 shipping.

So it was $48 including shipping for the pair of LED lights with new grommets.

The replacement light (without grommet) for my incandescent would have been $8 at Northern if I drove over there and got it.

So yes, it was more expensive. But I hope I'll like the LEDs better. :)

Back