How to shorten an axle shaft?

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
So I have a Yukon chromoly Dana 80 axle shaft that I ordered from ECGS. They come in standard lengths and you have to cut to your desired length. This one is 39.5” and I need 39”. How is the best way to cut this down? I have heard some people say a chop saw, some say you can use a cut off wheel, some say both of these are no good because of the heat it will build up.

so what say ye?

Last edited:
chop saw or cut off wheel. you will be fine, even is the end gets warm. If your nervous about the heat, spray some water on it as you cut it.

shopping

I used a chop saw so it could be locked down while cutting and maintain a good square cut. Beveled the end to look like the factory cut with a bench grinder.

I just cut a Yukon cut to fit rear recently, I started with a bandsaw, but after two hours with the best blade I could find locally, it had only gone about a 16th of an inch...

Gave up and used a chop saw :)

You also can try hitting it with your purse.

Insert Tim Allen Tool time grunt.
8e9f3248266c51ddd5adc06538033127.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Beat me to it! Always go for the K12. K12 is never the wrong answer.

I used a chop saw on the one cromo I put in my rear 60. Been holding up fine so far.....

Just gnaw the end down with your teeth

I just got on the interstate and held it out the window. It works out to about 1/8" per mile at 95mph. As others have said though, might want to do it while its raining to minumize the H.A.Z.

Wire edm ftw. Shouldn't cost much more than the shaft.

Plasma likely do the trick also. Just do it under water, like in a swimming pool. Bind points for having the plasma in the pool with you on a float on a ungrounded non-gfci outlet. 3 phase of course. (Only joking obviously)

Cut off wheel or chop saw. It'll have to be an abrasive to cut unless you have a fancy carbide cold cut saw. HSS will be turned into butter trying to cut chromoly.

A lathe is the best way to do it. You could also use a mill, a cold saw or a variety of other cutting tools. But a chop saw is the best abrasive method. You may locally reduce the hardening, but it should be fast enough that there isn't much heat input, so it doesn't really matter.

Back