hunting?

Banned User

i was inspired by a diffrent thread... who else hunts? what have yall bagged so far? also whenever you pop something noteworthy then find this post and let us know. In other words dont post everytime you get a duck. 6 pts. and up are O.K. though...

I got a little 8 opening week of bow season. Nothing to write home about, but he'll be tasty :D I'm taking a 1/2 day Friday to hunt that afternoon, then Saturday, so hopefully I'll have more to report then.

Elk hunt begins in nine days...

On the same note... Those who make Jerky, what spices do you use? Any brand over another? I like spicy, but we also want something teriyaki. Thanks, Josh

Sure...I will even make it OFFROAD chat by saying we are almost done clearing several trails at our property big enough to take the trail rigs thru!

We have about 30 acres up in Caswell we hunt on...been bustin my butt for a couple months getting some new trails cut and adding to my deer "stand/condo" in the sky! Just needs high speed internet connection and tv and it will be perfect! :)

I ought to take a picture of it...

Sam...not roughing it too much...Hinton

Well God has blessed me this year I have killed two does with my bow and killed a nice eleven pointer monday with the muz.I guess you can tell I have alot of meat,if anyone want's some just let me know.

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
On the same note... Those who make Jerky, what spices do you use? Any brand over another? I like spicy, but we also want something teriyaki. Thanks, Josh

We make jerky all the time. We don't bother to grind it up or anything, just cut thin strips (1/8" maybe) and marinate for a couple hours. Some of my favorites are Lawrys marinades. They've got a Teriyaki w/ pineapple that's the best teriyaki I've made yet. I tried another brand and it just plain sucked, but you can't go wrong w/ the Lawry's Teriyaki. Also, one of our favorites that everybody seems to like is Lawry's LOUISIANA RED PEPPER MARINADE. A little kick, lots of flavor, of of the best yet.

Mmmmm. Sounds good. Those are right in the ketchup isle, cool. Have you had any experience with the spices in powder form at outdoorsie places like Gander Mtn. or Bass Pro Shops? thanks for the input, now just to get the deer... :D

We've tried Bojangle's seasoning before, that was pretty tasty. We've tried various combinations of salt, different peppers, garlic, texas pete, etc. Be carefull with crushed red pepper, too much of that and you won't enjoy it. I like the marinades, seem to get the flavor all the way through, and hard to mess up!!

Because he doesn't want to hit what he's aiming at.

Personally, I'd pick the 700 or the Mauser.

bronc'nBK said:
money is a bit of a constraint on a 16 yr old. im gettin the full package that has both barrels, scope, and gun for under 300.

I hear ya on the budget constraints, but you get what ya pay for brotha.

bronc'nBK said:
money is a bit of a constraint on a 16 yr old. im gettin the full package that has both barrels, scope, and gun for under 300.

any gun will kill a deer, but you got to get it to look at the deer the right way, and thats why i say get a bargain gun if you must but get a good scope. My 270 winchester Model 70 i got for a 10$ raffle ticket win. ( love the gun and you cant beat 10 bucks.... my scope was 300$... so im one of the few people that can say my scope cost literally 30x more than my gun.

Kevin Lawler said:
Shot this 8 with my recurve about a month ago. 9yo son got a spike last Saturday with the ML. Got it on video.

Nice buck with a recurve Kevin. I hunt with my Black Widow recurve when I am feeling very, very lucky. :)

My new favorite for hunting right now is a stainless 5.5" Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I have reached the limit with handloads for the six shot cylinder and am looking to have a five shot cylinder installed. I hope to introduce it to a deer on Saturday morning.

<><Fish

Kevin Lawler said:
Shot this 8 with my recurve about a month ago. 9yo son got a spike last Saturday with the ML. Got it on video.

Great shot placement with the recurve! Congrats to your little guy too.

Already been to Canada
Heading to Brownwood Texas in Dec 150 class only
Heading to Alabama late Dec

Been over 40 times in the woods since bow season started here and in Ashe Co. Seen tons of bucks but I am waiting for this 10pt that I KNOW will go 140-150 which is damn good for around here. We dont even bother taking pics of anything w/ less than 8pts and outside the ears.

Let the little ones grow and shoot does and you will see a remarkable change in your bucks. That and year round food plots are the ONLY 2 ways to make a better herd.

Needless to say my GF aint happy right now

Franklin said:
Needless to say my GF aint happy right now

Try being a newlywed wanting to go hunting and wheelin' all the time! I'm just kidding, the wifey is pretty cool and laid back about all of my hobbies, but I can tell she sometimes gets just a little jealous of the bow and the yota.

Franklin said:
Already been to Canada
Heading to Brownwood Texas in Dec 150 class only
Heading to Alabama late Dec

Been over 40 times in the woods since bow season started here and in Ashe Co.

Dang Franklin. What did you do. Quit your job?

How about that Bronco?

DK

FishHunt said:
Nice buck with a recurve Kevin. I hunt with my Black Widow recurve when I am feeling very, very lucky. :)

My new favorite for hunting right now is a stainless 5.5" Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I have reached the limit with handloads for the six shot cylinder and am looking to have a five shot cylinder installed. I hope to introduce it to a deer on Saturday morning.

<><Fish

Have you ever been to the state trad tourney at the Catawba Wildlife Club? I've been every year. My son got 1st place last year and 3rd the year before.

Back