hunting?

sat out tonight

saw 2 big ass does

passed up the shot on both of them

right at dark a nice size buck (8 or 10 pt) came following behind them

passed up the shot as well

guess what happens tomorrow though.....:D

Yeah I saw two spikes and two does. Never saw the buck(s) that were runnin' the does though. The rut is definately starting. Passed on the two spikes and the does never slowed down enough for me to draw back on 'em. I walked in on one at 2:00pm, early rising bastards. Oh well, hopefully better luck tomorrow. Hopefully b/t me and the rest of my buddies we'll have plenty to clean tomorrow. Good luck to everybody else!!!

"If it's brown it's down"

"knock his dick in the dirt"

...all those other great huntin' sayin's...

'sup Jonathon? Forgot to tell you that the buck my son killed was out of the stand I got from you in the trade. Thanks again.

My pleasure Kevin. I'm glad everything worked out for you both. Congrats to the little man for getting his first. My girlfriend shot her first with a bow back in late October. I'm sure that you were every bit, probably more, excited than I was being with her getting her first. There is nothing like exposing newbies to the great sport!!

PS. I don't see how you trad guys do it, Kevin. I missed a big doe at 10yds with my recurve and to the best I could tell she ducked the arrow. I hit a tree about mid thigh high so I know the shot was good, just didn't connect. Oh well, still got some time left to try again!!!

drkelly said:
Dang Franklin. What did you do. Quit your job?

How about that Bronco?

DK

Nah. Just worked it out right to be gone for 10 days. The TX trip is compliments of a salesman I do about 750K with:D

The Bronco is in the garage and hasnt been touched. It will be a late winter start again:rolleyes:

Got a fatty of a doe Sat. afternoon w/ the bow. She made some tasty jerky that I'm enjoying at work right now :D

Elk hunt begins in two days!:uzi:

I'm getting kinda excited about the weather for next week. Looks kinda mild for the first day or two, then a front comes through, and they're calling for snow on Weds.

saf-t scissors said:
I'm getting kinda excited about the weather for next week. Looks kinda mild for the first day or two, then a front comes through, and they're calling for snow on Weds.

Bucks are really running the does up my way. This full moon isnt helping us out any. Should be gone by this time next week.

Going to MD this weekend to get some meat. Shot more than limit in ducks and got my deer. Wasproud of the monster sika deer I got. Will get some pic's. Hopefully get enother one this year. I have been trackin a larger one this year.

I spent most of last week in Hyde county bear hunting. Sorry to say no bear for me. I did let a small bear (less than 100#) go. Three of the guys did get bears. The largest one was 340# with a nice coat. It was hot and muggy in Hyde county, I hope to go back in the December season and fill my bear tag.

I got back in time on Thursday to go hunt our land at Troy and killed a nice 8 point that evening. Friday evening I killed a big 7 point and a knot-head in S.C. Saturday I got a big doe and a small doe hunting at home.

Its been a good season so far and I don't go back to work for another week.:D

Good Luck to all.

<><Fish

as soon as i get outta class, im headin home to hunt for the rest of the week....hopefully the moon phase will be a little more favorable and the temp will come down just a bit more

good luck to all

So how did everybody do over Thanksgiving? I didn't get a chance to go. First Thanksgiving as a married man, spent it in Wilmington with the in-laws. Thanksgiving week is the biggest hunting week of the year, somebody has to have some good news.

SpydyrWyr said:
Thanksgiving week is the biggest hunting week of the year, somebody has to have some good news.

Weather sucked. Wind blew 25kts all week, save for late Fri and Sat. Heavy mast crop meant the fawkers stayed in the thickets all day, didn't have to go far for food.

Well.....he looked ALOT bigger in the scope :flipoff2:

Attachments

• Buck 003.jpg
    Buck 003.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 228
HardTaco said:
Well.....he looked ALOT bigger in the scope :flipoff2:

They always do Josh, they always do. :) Mine always manage to lose 20-30 pounds b/t the shot and when I find them. It's the damnedest thing!!!

I have seen 14 bucks this year and still wait for the big one. It is a complete exercise in patience but the results are worth it. I shot a 17" spread 8pt last year and feel that if it isnt bigger than that why shoot?

My biggest thrill this year was taking my 71 y/o Dad hunting for his first time in 30 years on opening day. 2 hours into the season he wakes up and there are 3 in front of him and he harvests a darn button. Last week on his 71st bday, he shot a spike. The old guy is getting blood thirsty I tell ya. Niw he has been told teh 8pt outside the ears rule that we follow.

The point is the kill has NOTHING to do with the hunt. Hell I havent killed shit this year and honestly dont care. Hunting w/ Dad is my biggest thrill to date. Take others and share the expierence!!!

I agree mostly with Franklin. The motto should be "Take a doe and let him grow". If you have the time and land its a good idea.

On the other hand though there is nothing wrong or immoral with taking a small buck. A lot of N.C. hunters don't have access to huge tracts of land to hunt & manage for larger bucks. If they let a small buck go there is a good chance that when it walks off of their property it will not be passed up by the hunter next door.

License sales here in N.C. are down also. The last two years on record, hunting license sales went from 450,00+/- to around 305,000+/-. I encourage everyone with big game tags to fill every doe tag they have. If you don't want the meat think about making a donation to Hunters For The Hungry or a local food bank. Less Hunters = More Deer, if that trend continues it will not be long before the state tries to correct the problem and that would not be good for hunters or the deer.

Good Luck To All.

<><Fish

Franklin said:
Hell I havent killed shit this year and honestly dont care. Hunting w/ Dad is my biggest thrill to date. Take others and share the expierence!!!

Yep, pretty much. It's been me, my dad, and my grandfather every year for the past 6 or so. I missed most of the week a year or two ago, but that's been the only break.

I had a +300yd shot on a spike last week, but what's the fun in that? Ya gotta wait until these guys come along:

Attachments

• Shawn1.jpg
    Shawn1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 195
Hell, donate the meat to me. Only reason I want to hunt is for the meat. But unfortunatly I don't have a handy place to go hunting anymore since my friend sold his land 5 years ago. So I haven't bought a tag in 3 years.

Last day in Ashe Co produced these 3. Brother in law dropped this one at 10am and the larger doe a short while later. We have seen quite a few bucks this year but this was the first time we spotted this one. He had some damge marks on him so he probaly got pushed off from somewhere. Not the biggest buck I seen this year but very unique rack. Small drop on the left and good mass with almost a hole through the rack.
Dad shot the veal at 9 am. Ole guy shot 3 this year, a small feat after not hunting for 30 years.

I saw some does but they were moving fast. Another came at dark, couldnt get a shot.

Attachments

• PC160030 Net.jpg
    PC160030 Net.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 223
  • PC160032.JPG
    PC160032.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 205
Back