hydro assist on xj

cheapcherokee89

im looking into puttin hydro assist on my cherokee. the down fall is spending the $900 on the kit. whats the easiest way to do it yourself ? anyone?

have someone drill/tap your box and put a single ended ram on the axle. I havn't done it yet, but plan to.

there are numerous writeups on it here and on other boards.

I just ordered the cyl and hoses. Then I drilled and tapped my steering box and fabbed up a couple of brackets. Couple hundred bucks. Just make sure your hoses are installed correctly or it will make a mess in a short amount of time :lol:

Drill and tap your own box, plenty of info on the net if you search. Get a 2"x8" ram from Northern Tool or Tractor Supply, around $70 and a couple of hoses from the same place, around $10 each. Fab up your ram mounts and weld to your tie rod, you're done.

I'm about to do this as well. I got my ram and hoses at a good price from Trailgear. If anyone wants to do the work and post up a link or two to the process I'd appreciate it.;)

drill and tap the box. Go to www.surpluscenter.com and get their 8" stroke ram, either 1.5,1.75" or 2" dia cylinder, that has swivel eyes on both ends......94 dollars.

order all the fittings, and lines from them as well to save on shipping costs.

Their fittings are roughly 1.10 each, some cheaper, some more. And select your length 2 wire 4000psi hoses, usually around $7 to $10 each

I have like 130 in my hydro assist not counting the box rebuild and tap

the unibody really doesn't matter to hydro. Having the ram mounted to both the tie rod and axle housing will take stress off the box itself. So just like 99ncxj said brace the box and you should be fine.

no the unibody is not solid enough, west texas will send you a tappe dbox then give you a core charge for your box then just get a psc ram and get hoses from tractor supply, you might as well go ahead and put a cooler in your line fluid get to hot and leaks out the cap

no the unibody is not solid enough, west texas will send you a tappe dbox then give you a core charge for your box then just get a psc ram and get hoses from tractor supply, you might as well go ahead and put a cooler in your line fluid get to hot and leaks out the cap

Really now.... :shaking: The Redneck ram setup is nice but you can DIY for less than $150.00 ... I would also go 1.5" bore 8" stroke from surplus center like the NAXJA thread...

If anything Hyd. assist will help take the stresses off the factory box and 3 mounting holes...

Why hydraulic assist? What size tires are you running? I switched my XJ box out for a YJ 4 bolt box and had little issues turning 37's.

Anybody know where I can order a rebuild kit for my box(part number would be awesome), and would a stock ZJ box be up to the challenge? I've got two spares, and could sacrifice one to try this out. My pump wasn't happy the last time I spent 8+ hrs on the trail. SOmething needs to improve, I run sythetic ATF instead of standard powersteering fluid, and a cooler install is already in the works.

I'm about to do this as well. I got my ram and hoses at a good price from Trailgear. If anyone wants to do the work and post up a link or two to the process I'd appreciate it.;)

You get that shit done yet? Or for that matter, get your heep back yet? If not, I've done two now. It sucks, but I'll bring the tools and drink the beer while you do the work.

You get that shit done yet? Or for that matter, get your heep back yet? If not, I've done two now. It sucks, but I'll bring the tools and drink the beer while you do the work.
Jeepinmatt and I are doing it tomorrow. The jeep is at Tims shop in Hickory gettin some love, why don't you go give them a hand:flipoff2:

Anybody know where I can order a rebuild kit for my box(part number would be awesome), and would a stock ZJ box be up to the challenge? I've got two spares, and could sacrifice one to try this out. My pump wasn't happy the last time I spent 8+ hrs on the trail. SOmething needs to improve, I run sythetic ATF instead of standard powersteering fluid, and a cooler install is already in the works.

I'm pretty sure any Napa, Advance, Autozone, O'riley's has them... and I think the ZJ box would be fine... maybe get a larger reservior to hold more fluid.

Back