I need an axle that is 70-71" WMS-WMS and has a centered Pinion

ABadJeeper

Carolina Metal Masters
So long story short. I built a 14 bolt for my JKU but with my LCG build suspension I'm having big problems with the offset pinion hitting the gas tank and I really don't like running wheel spacers on it to get the width I need for my coil overs.

So with that said I'm looking for an axle that has a WMS-WMS of 71" and has a centered pinion. At this point I think I'm looking for a unicorn but I figured I'd ask before I start down the road of a building a fabricated 9 or something else. Does anyone know of an axle that fits my needs.

Van width 14 bolts are around 70.

Most dually rears are 72" ish.

Late 2001-2002 Dodge Dana 70 rears are 70.5" wide, As a bonus they are already disc brake and parking brake equipped.

Van width and newer Dodge rears are the widest ones I have seen. Mostly d60/70s

Van width 14 bolts are around 70.

Most dually rears are 72" ish.

I think the problem with these will be they still have the offset pinion and in my setup I have very little room with the fuel tank running down the passenger side.

Late 2001-2002 Dodge Dana 70 rears are 70.5" wide, As a bonus they are already disc brake and parking brake equipped.

Hopefully this will have a centered pinion. I'm going to try and find one to look at.

The only other thing I could think of would be a pre-99 Ford sterling 10.25 van width if that even exists.

I just spent a few hours looking at this and I think with what I have invested in my 14B I need to figure out how to make it work. I doubt I would get anywhere near what I have in it since it is basically new with an ARB plus I replaced every seal and bearing in it when I built it.

Just put a TJ tank in it and enjoy the flat belly, 05-06 ones your fuel pump fits but needs to be extended about 5". Did mind with some threaded rod

Just put a TJ tank in it and enjoy the flat belly, 05-06 ones your fuel pump fits but needs to be extended about 5". Did mind with some threaded rod

Can't do a TJ tank because I cut the rear crossmember off and my rear is stretched about 2.5 inches. It would have to be a custom cell which is one of the things I'm thinking about right now. I'm trying to find out if the 2dr tank might work. This may be another option too but the cell would allow me to double triangulate the rear which would be sweet.

Ahhh gotcha, I know it's a lot of work but that rock magnet of a fuel tank it has down there sucks royally lol. Maybe you can add a crossmember and so a gen-right crawler tank? For me I just didn't want the fuel tank in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just spent a few hours looking at this and I think with what I have invested in my 14B I need to figure out how to make it work. I doubt I would get anywhere near what I have in it since it is basically new with an ARB plus I replaced every seal and bearing in it when I built it.

your 14b have 2 different length shafts? What if you made the short side longer to accommodate the long side shaft? Would that help?

Ahhh gotcha, I know it's a lot of work but that rock magnet of a fuel tank it has down there sucks royally lol. Maybe you can add a crossmember and so a gen-right crawler tank? For me I just didn't want the fuel tank in the bed.

I don't want anything in the cab either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your 14b have 2 different length shafts? What if you made the short side longer to accommodate the long side shaft? Would that help?

I'm going to measure that when I get home. That may be a winner. Then I'll just need to find someone to press a tube out. I don't have that capability.

After more research it looks like a Dana 80 would work since they have 5.38's available. Now if I could find one from a SRW truck I'd be in business. Most seem to be from DRW.

Rockwell for the win..... Lol

I'm going to measure that when I get home. That may be a winner. Then I'll just need to find someone to press a tube out. I don't have that capability.

After more research it looks like a Dana 80 would work since they have 5.38's available. Now if I could find one from a SRW truck I'd be in business. Most seem to be from DRW.
East coast gear can press it out for you....

Rockwell for the win..... Lol
HAHA I don't think I need all that. LOL I just need enough for my current sticky 42's and an LS in the future.

East coast gear can press it out for you....
Very good to know. They would have been one of my first calls.

3/4 ton manual trans dodges ran dana 80s in the rear.
Yes sir I'm looking for a 01-02 SRW with disc brakes right now. If I can't find one with discs I'll start looking at others.

Cut and sleeve the short side 14 Bolt to match the long side?
Just a thought too...you could do that in house and just relocate a few suspension mounts.

Pretty sure the 14bolt spindles are not easily removable from the tube. Your best bet would either be to sleeve it or to put a long side tube on the short side.

Probably easier to call Genright and buy a tank. That's my vote.

Well the whole idea with retubing the 14B won't work because the short tube is actually on the drivers side so it would push the pinion three more inches to the passenger side. Plus the fact that I have a truss already and would have to move pickup points around I think my best bet is either to start over with an 80 if I can find one or make what I have work. I think if I can increase my rear track bar length I can make it pull less to the passenger side when my right rear is at full stuff and that would probably help a bunch. I'm just not sure how much longer I can make my track bar without getting too crazy. I'm going to look into that this weekend.

Im guessing you don't want to run custom shafts?

Here is a pic from Artec that shows what I am guessing yours looks like:
awww.artecindustries.com_assets_images_vehicleSpecific_JKparts_JK1410_axle_measurements.jpg

I have seen folks run wheel spacers on just 1 side, and offset the rear axle. That's not really the best solution though.

Last edited:
Back