I need lockers

UncleWillie

Lost and confused.
So my beloved 99 chevy K2500 pickup has 2 open difs. 2wd isn't doing me much good. So I need lockers. I don't rock climb, or.run mud pits, but it is off road probably more than 95% of all 4wd trucks, whe towing. Today, with a fully loaded 14 foot dump trailer, it ran out of traction going up a steep hill on my property. We hooked the winch to my Suburban, and just dragged the Burb sideways. It took some.creative abuse to get it out. I have decided it needs locking different.

So school me. What should I throw at it?
Screenshot_20230323_205421_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
If it’s a 2500 just find a replacement 14 bolt with a GovLok in it and swap it over. In your line of shouldn’t be hard to source one.
Came here to say the same. A 14 bolt with a gov lock will last a long time with stockish sized rubber, and you should be able to find a complete axle cheap.

I could go with changing the whole axle, but I have never seen a factory front axle for a gmt400 with a locker. They either don't exist, or are very rare.

This is my second work truck so it is on the street a lot. It just winds up in fields ans streams. It is the truck I don't really care about damaging ( dame one that got smashed in a parking lot which is why I didnt waste time with a police report). I need it to be more capable of dragging things offroad.

Another option, which isn’t a “locker” but I have a Detroit truetrac in the rear of my f250 and it locks up very fast as soon as you start spinning.

You dont want to even try and lock that front end.
14B with a gov lock for the rear and apply throttle

Gov locker in the rear, Trutrac in the front. Straight up awesomesauce
Does the truth. Bark and fart in a.turn, or will it behave if it isn't engaged? Thinking about an electric locker to avoid that.

BTW. Half asleep last night when I posted and I wasn't too clear. The rear is a g80. I want to lock.up the front when needed.

Does the truth. Bark and fart in a.turn, or will it behave if it isn't engaged? Thinking about an electric locker to avoid that.

BTW. Half asleep last night when I posted and I wasn't too clear. The rear is a g80. I want to lock.up the front when needed.
No. It’s a helical gear limited slip.

If you don’t want it to drive like it’s locked up then go truetrac or an e-locker. Other than that, a locked up axle is going to drive like a locked up axle. If you want to feel what a truetrac feels like let me know and we can meet up one day in the f250. I only have one in the rear not up front though.

BTW. GOO

If you don’t want it to drive like it’s locked up then go truetrac or an e-locker. Other than that, a locked up axle is going to drive like a locked up axle. If you want to feel what a truetrac feels like let me know and we can meet up one day in the f250. I only have one in the rear not up front though.
I have been in a lock jeep. I don't want that. That IS Why I want a selectable locker.

BYW. Google is giving me non stop ads for.school lockers now.

No it handles as if it was open.
I ran trutracs in front and rear of a TJ for years. When I bought my JKU I installed that combo in it as well. Only when I started wheeling harder trails where I’d regularly get a wheel in the air did I decide to go selectable ARBs in my Dana 60 swap.

I recommend TT fully for folks who will not put a wheel or wheels in the air.

BTW. GOO

I have been in a lock jeep. I don't want that. That IS Why I want a selectable locker.

BYW. Google is giving me non stop ads for.school lockers now.
I think you would be happy with a truetrac, it’s cheaper than a selectable locker too

Back