I think I'm getting screwed, help

TheZenTree

I'm in the middle of buying parts/building axles for an SAS on my Yukon right now, and I found a guy who was selling a set of used ORU brackets for a good price. He's a registered vendor on this other site, has had his rig in Petersen's, and apparently owns his own 4WD shop (not local). So I sent him a money order about a month ago, called about 4 days after that to make sure he got the money order. All the while, he promptly answered his phone and returned calls in a timely manner.

So now it's been almost a month since he said he got the money order, 3 weeks since he said he was going to send the brackets out, and I haven't heard from him in over three weeks. I've called him a bunch (no answer), left voicemails with my name and number (no returned calls), and sent plenty of PMs through the other board with my name, number, and email address. No response, even though I can see he was last on the board yesterday evening. :mad:

I called this afternoon trying to figure out what the hell is going on, and he finally answered. As soon as I told him who I was and why I was calling, I got "Hello? Hello? I can't hear you *click*"

:shaking:

Now, to be fair, the guy was just recently married, and seems like he's all kinda busy. Maybe he really did lose service. But the fact that he won't return PMs or phone calls is starting to worry me. Knowing that he has been on the other board as recently as yesterday (after I sent the PM) is starting to aggrivate me, and being busy is still no excuse for not even sending me a PM saying "Hey man, I've been really busy and just have not had time to get to your stuff." I'd be irritated, but hey, I've been waiting 4 years to do the SAS, I can wait another week.

I sent the money ($430) via a USPS money order, and I have his name, address, cell number, and both the cash register receipt and the stub receipt from the money order.

If I don't hear from the guy by Friday, I want to start taking some sort of action to get either my money back or those freaking SAS brackets.

So, to get to the point, what can I do if this guy is actually trying to screw me?

Someone named Gwedo around 6'4 275 should stop by offering him a pair of shoes down at the shipping docks he needs to try out. Maybe check the other board and have people go by his place and see whats going on. It's been done on other boards and has resolved issues

have a friend call him from another number. if he does or doesnt answer, ask him about ordering a set of sas brackets and see what he says or if he returns your bogus call with an answer. then tell him about yours and ask him where they are. good luck and if he bs's you , i would post it up everywhere.
you have receipts so your ok. but its very aggravating.

Mutt said:
What is this "bigboard?"

surely you jest?

pirate4x4.com

Search for wenzel, pull up a case or 2 f popcorn and read for a few hours.....

I would feel wenzeled. Go to the post office and ask for the process for reporting mail fraud.

J

I'm going to give the guy till the end of the week before I do anything. I'd hate to be threatening to sue only to find out that he's been unavailable because his mom was by her deathbed or something. I'd feel like an asshole.

But come Saturday, if I still haven't heard from him, I'm gonna start posting this shit with his name and phone number all over the place. If that doesn't help, I'm going to have our attorney send him a letter. If he decides to not send the brackets or refund my money after that, he might end up funding the entire SAS instead of just selling brackets.

I've never had to press charges or sue anyone before, so what exactly is that process? I mean, should I sue the guy for money owed/cost of court/punitive damages (reasonable, of course), or talk to the post office about mail fraud charges? Who is the plaintiff in a mail fraud case, me or the state?

Dumb questions, I know, but I'm 20 and I've never had to take legal action against anyone.

Oh, and Ridefast, I'd rather not say who it is at this point in case he really does have a legit reason for being on Mars.

hobie said:
I would feel wenzeled. Go to the post office and ask for the process for reporting mail fraud.
J
I think if you have the paperwork you can just walk in to where you got it and do like a stop payment or lost/stolen. Guy I sent one to said he never got it so I went in and paid the fee under 5$ with all the paperwork to get a second one. Just call up the post office and ask.:rolleyes:
Would it not be cool for him to need the money to pay bills or put food on the table and go to spend it only to find out it is NO GOOD!! :fuck-you:
Also it is a federal thing and the USPS instector will take over.
I do USPO money orders for guns all the time and never had a problem with it and was told by them it was beter then anything because even if they cash it you can get your money back. Did it cross state lines?
I know what people are thinking:fuck-you: :bounce2: :huggy: and what you want to do :sniper: but let the feds take care of it.

Email me his contact information and I will see if I can get anywhere with him. Give me the part number and all so I can see if he even has one. I will help you out as much as I can. PM me all the info. BTW, you say you hope nothing like a death or anything is going on. You said he was on the board yesterday so I would rule something like that out. He has been on and it is his responsability to do what is right. I would not wait a month if I ordered a car from the factory line much less a 400 dollar part. Just pm me the info and I will play inspector gadget on his ass.

Well, I just got off the phone with him, and he said that they're off the truck and packed, he just hasn't had a chance to run to UPS, but he'll do that today or tomorrow. So the lynching is postponed indefinately.

For the time being...

I think after he claimed he couldn't hear you, it would be game on.

where is it coming from? i would make sure to get the tracking information from him and if he doesnt have that info by the end of today, or he wont answer his phone, etc.... i would file the complaint... fawk the bullshit

I was gonna give him till tomorrow to check his PMs, but yall are right, fuck this guy.

His name is Dan Vaupel, goes by Eastcoast 4wd. I haven't checked to see if he's a member here, but I've never seen him post here. He's a vendor on CK5 and supposedly owns a 4wd shop in PA. Seems like a nice enough guy, and I'm not sure he's trying to screw me, but it's been a fuckin month. Maybe I'm too nice for my own good, but christ, I want my parts.

I agree with Rich:
I think after he claimed he couldn't hear you, it would be game on.

I'm still wondering why you're warning him. He's got your number (messages, caller id, PMs). He's not calling you, but he has your money. He knows you're making effort to get in touch with him. You should've started the process already.

J

What town in PA is he located?

Is this the guy? http://www.eastcoast4wd.com/

<><Fish

I'm not sure, that website is pretty incomplete.

Basically the only thing holding me back from starting the mail fraud claim process is a PM I sent him earlier this week saying he had until Friday. I'm gonna stick to that just because that's what I said I'd do, although I wish I had just gone ahead and filed it.

Back