Ideas to help URE trail system.

I posted this idea in the other thread, so am going to repost it here because I still think it is a good idea.

Weld metal signs to the gates that are at the closed locations on RML. The signs would read as below:

"This section of RML closed until further notice due to ATV's going off the trail into sensitive areas". That way every fourwheeler rider will know that they are directly responsible for the trail closure. EVERYONE will ride up to the gate, read that, then turn around and go on their way. It might not change their actions or attitude, but it will at least put it out there in their face.
I still think my original idea of posting a sign at those locations would be productive but we don't need to point fingers at the ATV guys. This is why I said well worded in my original idea. It will only server to alienate them and possible cause more issues and less help from them.
All the sign needs to say is this "Trail closed due to off trail riding. Stay on designated trails"

Last edited:
Another good sign idea is, with Chris's permission put up a big sign at the entrance and exit at the outpost as well as other places around the forest. This is simple and gets the point across to everyone who sees it without a lot of BS.

PREVENT TRAIL CLOSINGS

acdn.compliancesigns.com_media_NH_NHE_17514_300.gif

STAY ON DESIGNATED TRAILS

Last edited:
^^^ You are probably right.

Another good sign idea is, with Chris's permission put up a big sign at the entrance and exit at the outpost as well as other places around the forest. This is simple and gets the point across to everyone who sees it without a lot of BS.

PREVENT TRAIL CLOSINGS

acdn.compliancesigns.com_media_NH_NHE_17514_300.gif

STAY ON DESIGNATED TRAILS

If possible put one at every kiosk, the entrance and over at Scott's place if he would allow it. The more people see that it's a possibility the trails can be closed maybe it will change some people's attitude.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

Keep them coming everyone. Going to try and get together with everyone that wants to at Shawn's trailer at the Jamboree and set a plan of attack.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I think one of the core issues is URE is the wild west. Anything goes. We and everyone who goes there frequently knows there is NO enforcement. The only time I've seen a Ranger on the trail is during a work day and even then it was hard to find them.

How do we address that? Shawn stated there is no way to add more Rangers and from what I've herad they are mainly working during the week (when few people are on the trails).

We really only have Officer Foote on the weekends. Sometimes we can get others out. I do know for a fact that there will be some out for opening weekend for Friday thru Sunday.

No idea yet. I will be there all day from 0730 till 1700. What time would be best for the most people ?

I cannot make this due to a prior commitment, Shawn and Cyd know how i feel.
Please keep me in the loop.

How about we make some stickers with the tread lightly principles that apply to offroading like a tread lightly ten commandments or somthing like that around 12"x12" sell them at the outpost we can put one on each of our rigs as a friendly reminder of our code of proper conduct for public lands as a added bonus if you see a group of rigs with these stickers it might deter others from doing the wrong thing around that group

I will throw this idea out there and if it sounds hateful I really do apologize from the bottom of my heart but I just read that entire other thread and well... I really did not enjoy it. I see a lot of great ideas here and I think they are all great steps but first and foremost I think if we really want to make a change then people need to start taking the tread lightly classes. If each of the master tread trainers teach a group then that group hits the trails it will start a huge domino effect, there is no excuse for not taking the time to set up a class and attend it. I guarantee that once we have enough people out there educated in the tread lightly principals that we will have a force that would have the ability to reach any and all user groups. The classes do not just teach you the principals but also how to apply them and how to approach that unapproachable guy out there. I myself have stood on the side of the trail with a big mean looking dude that could have crushed me and had him kicking rocks like a little kid who just got put in time out for something. Take the time to get the tools you need then go out and apply them, hold yourself responsible or hell get a group and hold each other responsible. Stop and talk to that group of ATV riders at night when they are camping and sitting around the campfire, if it gets to tense walk away and come back with bigger friends (not really but hey what works works). Please guys the power is in our hands, I charge you to take the class IT IS FREE I will come teach you no matter where you are.

Is it possible to set up a class at the jamboree. I'm not sure how long the class is but it would get the ball rolling on educating people.

I would really like to see people passing out information (verbally and otherwise) at The Outpost on Saturday. I won't have time to do it, but I think it's our best chance to get in front of people and let them know what's going on.

I'd want to clear it with Chris first, but simply have a few people by the door and talk to folks that are coming out carrying trail passes. "Hey, can we speak to you for a minute? We just wanted to let you know that a section of RML is closed for the season, and here's why. We have some information here if you'd like to learn how you can help keep the trails open.", etc...

Ideally, just have a little table there on the south corner of the building by the bait fish. I'll donate a table, a pop up tent, and printing costs for any flyers/hand-outs if we need them.

I would really like to see people passing out information (verbally and otherwise) at The Outpost on Saturday. I won't have time to do it, but I think it's our best chance to get in front of people and let them know what's going on.

I'd want to clear it with Chris first, but simply have a few people by the door and talk to folks that are coming out carrying trail passes. "Hey, can we speak to you for a minute? We just wanted to let you know that a section of RML is closed for the season, and here's why. We have some information here if you'd like to learn how you can help keep the trails open.", etc...

Ideally, just have a little table there on the south corner of the building by the bait fish. I'll donate a table, a pop up tent, and printing costs for any flyers/hand-outs if we need them.

Tread Lightly will give us all the stuff us Tread Trainers guys need. We just need a few weeks heads up so we can order the stuff. I already said I would be game to both talk to Chris and man the table a few time this year.

Is it possible to set up a class at the jamboree. I'm not sure how long the class is but it would get the ball rolling on educating people.

I am not set up for doing a class at the Jamboree but will be there talking about it while also bring a road guard at the same time.

I do not think it is feasable to hold a full 8hr class at the Jamboree but I know scott holds short work shops at his booth at set times, sadly there was very little interest in those workshops last jamboree. Those stewardship programs are available for the clubs to use, I would urge all clubs to look into it as it would be a great way to bring funds toward Uwharrie. I know Scott and I have talked about setting up several classes throughout the year on his property and I hope there is a huge interest in it. I would like to see a sign up sheet for people to leave their information and could be contacted when the first class is scheduled. I think the Jamboree is a great place to hold short workshops and also to spread the word, I know there will be several groups doing this so maybe we have a quick meeting early Saturday with everyone that want's to be involved and we divide and conqure. I also think that with the amount of people on the trail this is a great chance for each and every person to be as proactive as possible when out wheeling. Do not be afraid to approach someone and just talk, always be friendly and open and non accusational. We do not need a ton of finger pointers out there pissing people off what we need is people educating and showing that tread lightly is here to help us not shut us down as this is a huge missconception.

I'd be interested in a class, might want to start another thread to gather info from people who want to take the class.

http://www.rei.com/stewardship.html

REI stores and employees join with nonprofits across the country to promote environmental stewardship and active volunteerism.

Was looking for camping gear and saw stewardship link. Thought maybe it was something FOU could look into?

Back