If you were to ratrod a 4wd ........

Lizooki

Samurai Frogger
Just kinda thinking out loud.
I want a ratrod .... but something way friggin' different.

SO .....
If you were to build a 4wd based ratrod would you .....
1- leave it 4wd
2-lift, lower, or slam
3-engine .... I have my own idea. Only seen one ratrod with it.

After a few days of replies I will offer up my ideas.
One thing I would really do is to keep with the original spirit of ratrods .... do with what you got.
And keep it simple and cheap. ( but reliable - I want a driver )

Matt

I'd like the see something like a 65 ford falcon on long arms but my mind is kind of twisted

I had a samurai tub and chassis that was in great shape except the front corner was wrecked. I thought about doing a little cheap street rig with it. Old school 2.3 swap (maybe a turbo) ranger rear end... but I sold it.

Something like either one of these. Solid axle, big tars, keep it low. Turbo'ed Chevy inline to be different. Bonus points for whitewall swampers.

IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1703.JPG

Body wouldn't matter really, just personal choice. Otherwise,
I would leave it 4wd, stockish height, knobby (not huge) tires, LS with a manual. I think that would keep it fun to drive and work on.

I have a 51 Ford truck that was owned by a relative. I'm going to restore it some day but it gave me the idea of getting another one removing the fenders, divorced 205 that's in my trailer and a front 44 with 9" use the original flathead v-8 and 3 on the tree. Probably Q78 for tires if they still make that size or some skinny swamper.

slammd cj3b 4x4. model a on say 38s. the trucks are cool. ive fought the urge to put my 68 d100 on dana 60s.

Early dodge power wagon, '65 or older, 1 ton axles w/appropriate gear, twinstick 205, very low cog, 39.5x18 boggers with either a hefty 12v drivetrain or perhaps 700+ hp Hemi.

Oh.... And beat all to f***!!

1952-Dodge-Power-Wagon-533x400-740x480.jpg

9773d205dde5665eaf3230e1f63cd0a2--ram-trucks-dodge-trucks.jpg

If only I could like this more[emoji16]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
:lol:
Donate the power wagon and the drivetrain and I'll drive it to your house :D

If only rat rod material wasn't gold right now!

I've been wanting an old truck preferably a 47-54 Chevy but would entertain any of the old 1ton and up trucks.

But every retard had seen 1 too many episodes of fast and loud and thinks their rusted out cab and worthless old chassis is worth 4k+ because it's a rat rod.

I think an old FSJ would be cool. Slam it soupe it up maybe run some pipes up out of the hood. An old 60s waggy would be cool. make a shit load of power and just rumble around smoking punks with ricers who think theyre fast!!!

not a bad idea. ive got a 77 2dr chief and a gladiator front end sitting around... oh but i never get my projects done

The problem I have is the guy with 5000 bucks in a custom fab chassis, 5000 in a suspension system, and 10000 in a motor stuffed under a rusty body and calling it a rat rod.
I want to do a real old school rat rod. Build with what you have or what you can get cheap. Real rat rods were low buck homespun competitive counterparts to hi-dollar machines.
I want to do a Samurai t-bucket. Extend the front frame and run an inline GM 6-cylinder. Lower it as much as possible without body mods and keep the 4wd.
Automatic (TH200 ? ) and column shift with a bench seat no hood or fenders . But will use a Sami grill and headlight buckets.
Everything will be me-fabbed or pullapart except the engine, and I have a cheap source for that.
The only thing I can't decide is to keep the rear tires in the wells or stick them out of the body with a wider junkyard rearend.

Last edited:
if i remember correctly, a vw bug body will fit on top of a bronco II frame. pop a 302 between the frame rails and get creative with the front fascia could be a cool little sand runner/rat rod

The problem I have is the guy with 5000 bucks in a custom fab chassis, 5000 in a suspension system, and 10000 in a motor stuffed under a rusty body and calling it a rat rod.
I want to do a real old school rat rod. Build with what you have or what you can get cheap. Real rat rods were low buck homespun competitive counterparts to hi-dollar machines.
I want to do a Samurai t-bucket. Extend the front frame and run an inline GM 6-cylinder. Lower it as much as possible without body mods and keep the 4wd.
Automatic (TH200 ? ) and column shift with a bench seat no hood or fenders . But will use a Sami grill and headlight buckets.
Everything will be me-fabbed or pullapart except the engine, and I have a cheap source for that.
The only thing I can't decide is to keep the rear tires in the wells or stick them out of the body with a wider junkyard rearend.
I have plans to build this same thing one day, but keep it zuk 4cyl. Think flipped headers with a turbo sitting on top the engine and a custom intake, maybe bike carbs.

I like the wide axles, but I think the front determines the rear. I'd use 10bolts cuz they are cheap & free.

Here's one I saw that was cool.
270da96b8cb07a7b2a8e07d9c2a0a465.jpg
c6d2cc8808e56d25448d5872e666e15d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep, that one is cool. Not 4wd and I have seen the build thread somewhere.
Mucho dinero. I don't consider that a rat rod. That's a custom hi-buck build with a beat up body.
Everything except that body is custom fabbed.

Matt

BTW- Would 10 bolts be wide enuff to that?

Back