Insulation for metal building

DIY or contracted?

Don't try to DIY that much closed-cell. Fuck up the mix a little bit, and it's all garbage. I've seen plenty enough professional installs ripped out and redone.

I had my previous shop sprayed. The pros: It sealed the building up well. No other maintenance required. Cons: It covers everything up so if you need to get to something (IE air line, electrical) you will have to dig it out and then you have that damage. You will have to cover it with some sort of paneling to protect it and to be able to attach anything to the walls .

soooo.....maybe not my best option?
Depends on your objectives. It's used in parking decks all the time with a 30-minute intumescent coating over it... but also with sprinklers. I wouldn't recommend leaving it exposed if you plan on welding/grinding/torches/etc in the space. You can cover it with gypsum board, but then need to consider humidity/mold.

You're going to have as much $$$ in that closed cell foam as you do the rest of the structure!

So what's the better alternative? I'm considering a 3 bay barn style carport with one side enclosed. I was thinking something like this pink foam board between the posts. Mine wouldn't need to be sealed up completely tight.

20210105_114606.jpg

Icynene® spray foam insulation is a fire retardant, so it reduces the rate of flames spreading. Fact: in just 2 minutes a fire can become life-threatening. In 5-minutes, a house can become entirely engulfed in flames. Unlike other forms of insulation, it takes around 30 minutes for Icynene® to become flammable.

Icynene® spray foam insulation is a fire retardant, so it reduces the rate of flames spreading. Fact: in just 2 minutes a fire can become life-threatening. In 5-minutes, a house can become entirely engulfed in flames. Unlike other forms of insulation, it takes around 30 minutes for Icynene® to become flammable.
In the US, it's required to be coated with an intumescent, 1/2" GWB, or other approved thermal barrier.

Depends on your objectives. It's used in parking decks all the time with a 30-minute intumescent coating over it... but also with sprinklers. I wouldn't recommend leaving it exposed if you plan on welding/grinding/torches/etc in the space. You can cover it with gypsum board, but then need to consider humidity/mold.
I'm storing cars and motorcycles and don't want condensation all over them. I've got another garage on my property where I do my tinkering.

I'm storing cars and motorcycles and don't want condensation all over them. I've got another garage on my property where I do my tinkering.
why not go with the 2" thick styrafoam stuff...cheap, easy to put up and it does the job pretty well for the lower cost, and looks pretty neat. Then you can put paneling or even sheetrock over it. IF you get anything sprayed I would do the ceiling and corners where you loose most of your heat and a lot of your condensation will come through the roof anyways.

Back