Interco Tires for 17’s

mcconnell

I’m building a TJ on 60s am I’m at the point I probably need to get so real tires so I can cycle it and dial in shock mounts etc. Pic is on 2” springs, no fuel, no back seat and a 315 that measures 33”.

Intercos 17” rim options are limited. The plan is something around a 37. What do y’all recommend?

I’m afraid the 36x12.5 SX is 34” when mounted and the 39x15 TSL seems huge for a mild stretch TJ. Are the SX2 rock hard? 37x14 Iroks shaped like a beach ball?

Attachments

• FE2A2D8A-90D2-4726-9F86-260B228FABF8.jpeg
    FE2A2D8A-90D2-4726-9F86-260B228FABF8.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 59
I had some 38x12.50-16.5 TSL SXs on recentered 8 bolt hmmwv wheels back in the day and they measured 36" tall. So a 39" might be a 37", depending on rim width. 8 bolts are 8.25" wide....a lot of their tires measure pretty short compared to the sidewall listing.

Last edited:
I feel like 17” wheel tire options are the new 15” wheel of 2008. So there should be plenty of options. Have you considered some manufacturers like Mickey Thompson, USD, or Maxxis?

Why are you stuck on Interco ?

They make the 43SX which is the best east coast tire ever, but outside of that particular model, I would be looking at other manufacturers.

17" tires are plentiful.

Krawlers and Treps are great.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of basically anything that Cooper makes.

Cooper
Mickey Thompson
Dick Cepek
Master Craft
Pro Comp

Lots of of good options out there.

I’m building a TJ on 60s am I’m at the point I probably need to get so real tires so I can cycle it and dial in shock mounts etc. Pic is on 2” springs, no fuel, no back seat and a 315 that measures 33”.

Intercos 17” rim options are limited. The plan is something around a 37. What do y’all recommend?

I’m afraid the 36x12.5 SX is 34” when mounted and the 39x15 TSL seems huge for a mild stretch TJ. Are the SX2 rock hard? 37x14 Iroks shaped like a beach ball?
I run a 42 SX2 on my beater xj. I've had them for a long time. I would not say they are hard but they have thick sidewalls and are very durable. They are not a sticky by any means but they are a bias ply like a lot of off road specific tires. My on;y issue is that my 42 is heavy with the H1 rims. The ole I6 can't turn them over like I want to some times. Interco has a lot of 17 options. 37's does limit it some but there are options. I assume non street tire so no radial.

SX2-120 37x14.50-17 37 14.50 91 lb 12 29/32 10 4 BSW 10 12 36.83 14.2 557 65 3635 Yes

All good points. Jeep will probably see no street time so the bias swampers were attractive. I was mainly looking to see if anyone had experience with the 17" sizes. Maxxis Treps/Razr, Cooper STT Pros or the M/T Baja Boss are probably where I'll go to for radials.

@ghost there are 8 of those SX2s on the blem list that made me start looking into them

Cooper makes a banging tire...

Pick a brand. You'll have a problem with a few of the tires out of the millions they produce. Any of them can bust a belt 🤷‍♂️

If something is man-made, it can fail.

All good points. Jeep will probably see no street time so the bias swampers were attractive. I was mainly looking to see if anyone had experience with the 17" sizes. Maxxis Treps/Razr, Cooper STT Pros or the M/T Baja Boss are probably where I'll go to for radials.

@ghost there are 8 of those SX2s on the blem list that made me start looking into them

Price the 37/xx- 17 of other new tires and risking that amount of $$$$ on a 37 makes sense to me. That is also the skinny 37 SX2. I'd roll the dice. I like mine for the wheeling I do. It eats mud well which I try to avoid and with low psi grips rocks well. Again not like a sticky. Overall I've been happy with my SX2's which I got off the blem list years ago. If you do get them I'd be interested in your thoughts after they are broke in.

Pick a brand. You'll have a problem with a few of the tires out of the millions they produce. Any of them can bust a belt 🤷‍♂️

If something is man-made, it can fail.
QFTT!

Theres the new size 37x14.5/17 sx2's on the blem list now as well. They allegedly run true to size based on my communication with them and the specs they put up. They aren't even really blems, just first runs that they want to get out there. They did the same with the 35x13.5 sx2's when they released then. They have been on the blem list a while and I would have pulled the trigger if the shipping cost didn't make them basically as expensive as any other 37. My rig will see some street time, so I was leaning toward the maxxis razr or geolandar x m/t radials.

I really wish they did the SX2 in a 38-38.5 like the old 38.5x14.5 SX that used to dominate East Coast wheeling 15-20 years ago. The in between 37 and 40 range for 17" wheels is woefully lacking.

Now we're talking!

A few beers and a sawzall or grinder/cutoff wheel will make it happen!

Also, this is not the place to look for moderation or sensible ideas :D

I just think the 40" tire will give alot more tire options that won't cause the diffs to get hung up on everything.

37" Treps don't measure out to a 37, I think the ones I had (used, stickies) were not much bigger than a 35. And I ran them on a Toyota axle buggy.

My new buggy has 39.5" sticky Iroks and it's also on Toyota axles.

Here is a picture showing the diff clearance on my Toyota axles with the 39.5 Iroks. Easily clears a 5gallon bucket. The d60 front is gonna be a lot lower to the ground and going to cause issues on a 37" tire that really might only be a 35" tire mounted and under the Jeep.

PXL_20210721_152001030.jpg

I like my 37x12.50x17 pro comp mt2s. I have wheeled with guys with similarly setup trucks on the 37" sx2s and my pro comps perform better in everything but deep wet clay, specifically on that hill coming out of fish fossil. Love these MT2s, they work great aired down below 5psi!

They had a recall earlier this year, I believe, possibly last year. It was for belt separation. We're those part of the recalled lot? My uncle had two in his set that were, but they did him a solid and replaced all four for free.

I've probably got in the neighborhood of 200,000 miles on 5 different sets of Cooper made tires between 4 different trucks. Hell, the ones on my HD right now are blems. I haven't had any tire related problems out of any of those miles. Yet. Hopefully I can continue that.

I totally agree though. Those two tires are certainly enough to totally dismiss the fourth largest tire manufacturer on the planet :D I had to...couldn't resist!

Real talk, that does suck though. It surely can't have anything to do with all of the wonderfully kept roads we have around NC these days.

Which tire model? What size? How old?

If you are set on interco, 38.5” sx. My 42” sx2’s were softer than std sx’s when new but after 5yrs were harder according to a durometer. Had to run them at 4-6psi to get them to work Offroad, which made them have same radius as my 39” reds at 10psi.

If not plenty of 37” sticky options out there if it’s not going to see much road use.

37” red labels are just too much $$$ for what they are though. Many sticky options in that size from several manufacturers.

If 37” dot,
Procomp, nitto, falken, Toyo, Yokohama etc all make tires in that size.

the 39.5x15-17 TSLs on a 17x9s measure about 39 1/2 new with 28psi in them. On the K5 they are just over 38

5612D46D-61B7-4141-8232-AB6869C34CC2.jpeg

I ended up with a set of Toyo 40s I snagged off of Market Place during a work trip to Greenville. I've got some more trimming to do, but I think it'll work out. 23.5" bottom of the frame with no real weight in it.

Attachments

• 68998314447__49DEDBC7-63D2-4362-A72C-E59391B9CF14.jpeg
    68998314447__49DEDBC7-63D2-4362-A72C-E59391B9CF14.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 71
Back