Inverter Generator

@CasterTroy it kinds sorta is as simple as a percentage. dB is a logarithmic scale.
So for example a reduction of 10dB is a 50% reduction. An increase of 10dB is a doubling. etc.

However...that is only a small,albeit critical, part of the argument. The other thing that dramatically impacts noise level is surrounding surfaces. Generators are rated in a very specific ANSI test. It defines what distance and height and location the microphones are set up and what substrates are around it during the test. Since sound travels in waves and bounces off objects...lets say a generators is rated at 67dB at 23' (The ANSI standard is 7 meters which is 23 feet) and the surface is an exposed plywood floor and free air for the duration of 7'.

If you then place the gen on pavement and place a solid object, say a car or trailer, 5' to the left of the gen - go take the reading 23' to the right of the gen and the recorded level will be much greater than the published spec because sound is bouncing off the car or trailer.

Conversely put it on grass, or carpet and and it can be lower.

That is before we get into conversations about different fuel levels increasing or decreasing the weight and thereby the moment of inertia and increasing/decreasing vibratory noise and.... its just easier to say real quiet or kinda quiet. :D

And those are just the super highlights. Hell ambient temperature will change dB levels on an asphalt surface particularly.

So all it takes is a Youtube warrior to take a gen, develop the right circumstances be it by intelligent design or ignorant happenstance, a $20 radio shack dB meter, and next thing you know brand integrity suffers and a class action suit ensues.

@CasterTroy it kinds sorta is as simple as a percentage. dB is a logarithmic scale.
So for example a reduction of 10dB is a 50% reduction. An increase of 10dB is a doubling. etc.
Which is my point.

Rod pointed out the difference between the 2 generators was roughly 11db and said that's just 15%
And clearly, as you illustrated above, it's more like a 50% reduction

Rod is a numbers guy...just different kinda numbers

Not apples to apples

Because DB ratings are not linear.

I don't have my charts right here in front of me...but.....the difference between 57 and 67 isn't as simple as a percentage.

dB-noise-level-chart.png

Hence why Ron said

Let's say a diffuser is rated at 22db and competitor is 27db. That's close right? It's astonishingly NOT close at all in person
I hear consuming copious amounts of alcohol makes everything quieter :D

I hear consuming copious amounts of alcohol makes everything quieter :D
Pouring sugar in the tank also allows for others to hear the crickets at night

However...that is only a small,albeit critical, part of the argument. The other thing that dramatically impacts noise level is surrounding surfaces. Generators are rated in a very specific ANSI test. It defines what distance and height and location the microphones are set up and what substrates are around it during the test. Since sound travels in waves and bounces off objects...lets say a generators is rated at 67dB at 23' (The ANSI standard is 7 meters which is 23 feet) and the surface is an exposed plywood floor and free air for the duration of 7'.

If you then place the gen on pavement and place a solid object, say a car or trailer, 5' to the left of the gen - go take the reading 23' to the right of the gen and the recorded level will be much greater than the published spec because sound is bouncing off the car or trailer.

Conversely put it on grass, or carpet and and it can be lower.

That is before we get into conversations about different fuel levels increasing or decreasing the weight and thereby the moment of inertia and increasing/decreasing vibratory noise and.... its just easier to say real quiet or kinda quiet. :D

And those are just the super highlights. Hell ambient temperature will change dB levels on an asphalt surface particularly.

So all it takes is a Youtube warrior to take a gen, develop the right circumstances be it by intelligent design or ignorant happenstance, a $20 radio shack dB meter, and next thing you know brand integrity suffers and a class action suit ensues.
GIF by UFC

Not apples to apples

Because DB ratings are not linear.

I don't have my charts right here in front of me...but.....the difference between 57 and 67 isn't as simple as a percentage.

dB-noise-level-chart.png

Hence why Ron said

Let's say a diffuser is rated at 22db and competitor is 27db. That's close right? It's astonishingly NOT close at all in person

Made a slight edit for relatability:
1619119490146.png

Funny thing about generators.
One cutting off will wake you up quicker than one starting up.

dB is a log scale

going from 50 to 60 dB is a factor of ten increase in sound pressure. 50 to 70 would be 100 times more pressure.
This ^
of course Power dB is a Log 20 base and Amplitude dB is a Log 10 Base and we can bore everyone to tears with the discussuion of sound power versus sound pressure and why both are dB scales and both are releavant and simultaneously worthless.

Which is why I said a ten fold base10 increase = a 100% increase or a double.

This ^
of course Power dB is a Log 20 base and Amplitude dB is a Log 10 Base and we can bore everyone to tears with the discussuion of sound power versus sound pressure and why both are dB scales and both are releavant and simultaneously worthless.

Which is why I said a ten fold base10 increase = a 100% increase or a double.
Sheesh man....you could over-complicate a hand job...you know that? :lol:

Amazon got it here quick.

sitting here at the camp site on Jordan lake I have it running a bit to test it out and the loudness.
Its on the other side of the pop up on eco mode just charging the batteries. I can still hear the boats on the lake, birds in the trees, chubby girl in next camp site eating potato chips. It’s pretty quiet. Could have used it last night when springer broke out a couple campsites over.

it will start and run my 13500 btu a/c but it runs wide open.

Back