Inverter Generator

BigBody79

You fellas have any opinions on inverter generators?

I was just about dead set on an Honda eu2200i but at 1100 dollars plus tax its a bit tough.

I've also looked at the Generac 2200 and 2500.

Of course there are quite a few of them out there.

We are going to take it camping and keep the fridge going in the power outage.
So the quieter the better but is the the honda 500 dollars quieter than the Generac (or other brand)

If you can find a generac iq2000 still in stock they are actually quieter than the eu2200i.
They arent quite as powerful. But for most uses you will never notice a difference

FWIW we can sell the GNRC for (picked up in Raleigh or York - direct ship would be extra - price doesnt include sales tax)
Gp22001i -$535
GP2500i - $583
GP 3000i - $825

I personally like the Iqs better. But they were phased out in favor of the narrower form factor GP. When you are warehousing 100,000 units high is cheap wide aint and there you have it

In first for the plug for Predator from Harbor Freight (bc it's coming...)

I saw that the other day, its honestly a pretty darn good deal! I should get one for hurricanes!
Was pretty much my thoughts. Poor mans whole home genny

@Ron How is the noise level of the GP2500 compared to the GP2200. I'd like to have something to run my A/C on the camper and the 2500 gives that wiggle room.

I already have a larger non-inverter noise maker for the whole home. I'm really interested in the 2000/2200/2500 size.

Full disclosure - I have no personal hands on experience with either one.
Ive seen a 2200 but not used one.

The 2500 uses the 98cc engine while the 2200 uses the 80cc. So the 2500 is going to be louder Id guess.

Generac finally stopped publishing noise levels on consumer products because the average person doesnt understand dB levels, or all the factors that play into sound levels, and no matter what level you publish someone can crank it up and get a dB meter and "prove you wrong"....there are so many variables in sound mitigation. So they just threw their hands up and say its "real quiet" "sorta quiet" "kinda loud" or "loud AF"

Both are real quiet. Inverters as a whole are super quiet. Any difference between the two you can more than mitigate by what you set it on

From my experience, the 2200's won't run my AC or microwave on the camper. We have the Honda 3500 also and it will pull the AC and microwave. I borrow them when needed so I haven't bought one, but I'll probably get the Predator when the time comes. From the reviews I've read, change the cheep spark plug out and change oil when recommended. Also be prepared to remove the spark arrester if using cheap fuel.

I got one of these a year ago when it was $450. Very happy with it, very quiet, and I like the fuel shut-off that drains the carb, you can buy two for the price of one honda.

I have 2 of these and love them. They are linkable to run a camper etc. I run them while tailgating and never fails, a Honda owner will stop and ask about it. Super quiet.

I just picked one of these up on black friday for a steal. I don't have but about 15-20 hours on it right now, but all seems well. So far I'm tickled with it.

I have two Generac iq2000s and I like them a lot. One runs everything in the camper except the AC and microwave, and a tank of gas will last about 12 hours. I have the simple parallel kit when I need both to run the AC or microwave. Best part of the generac parallel is I had one of my old iq2000s crap out on me on a trip, still left me for one to run the lights and such

I have two Generac iq2000s and I like them a lot. One runs everything in the camper except the AC and microwave, and a tank of gas will last about 12 hours. I have the simple parallel kit when I need both to run the AC or microwave. Best part of the generac parallel is I had one of my old iq2000s crap out on me on a trip, still left me for one to run the lights and such

I'm hoping that with a soft start on the a/c and the 2500 to be able to run the a/c in the camper.

If you can find a generac iq2000 still in stock they are actually quieter than the eu2200i.
They arent quite as powerful. But for most uses you will never notice a difference

FWIW we can sell the GNRC for (picked up in Raleigh or York - direct ship would be extra - price doesnt include sales tax)
Gp22001i -$535
GP2500i - $583
GP 3000i - $825

I personally like the Iqs better. But they were phased out in favor of the narrower form factor GP. When you are warehousing 100,000 units high is cheap wide aint and there you have it
Where can I find you guys at?

They had them on sell black friday for 329.99. I had been looking at them for a while and when I saw that I snagged one. Figured it wouldn't take much to get my monies worth.
I don't know why I need one, but at that price I need TWO!

So looks like Harbor Freight has introduced a few new inverter generators. Can somebody smarter than myself tell me why the 3500 is a good bit more expensive than the 4400? From what I can see, you get electric start and about 15% quieter with the 3500, but the 4400 is lighter and pumps out more wattage.

I just bought the 9500 from harbor and used it all last weekend when racing. It was awesome I could run everything on my bus with no issues and the dang thing is QUIET.

I had onan with not a lot of luck and they seem to just have wierd issues so I run a 3500 while driving which powers the fridge and front ac unit with no issues, and my plan now is to take 9500 with me for boondocking and then use it as a house backup genny when home.

max db was 67.

I could hear the other gennys on motorhomes over this 9500

but I would recommend either the harbor 3500 or the northern tool 3500. it will power everything you need/want when camping for very little noise

Attachments

• 57080_W3.jpg
    57080_W3.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 102
15% quieter
Not apples to apples

Because DB ratings are not linear.

I don't have my charts right here in front of me...but.....the difference between 57 and 67 isn't as simple as a percentage.

dB-noise-level-chart.png

Hence why Ron said
Generac finally stopped publishing noise levels on consumer products because the average person doesnt understand dB levels

Let's say a diffuser is rated at 22db and competitor is 27db. That's close right? It's astonishingly NOT close at all in person

Back